What Makes Magic

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Anil G
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Re: What Makes Magic

Post by Anil G »

I think there's a difference between magic and manifestation.
Magic is the trick which one does with the help of illusions and on the other hand, there's a manifestation, where we seek something and manifest it.
We can't achieve something from magic but we can achieve something through manifestation.
The right thing which can be confused with magic is - MIRACLE.
Is Magic or Miracle similar?
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I think manifestations are not necessarily the real world version of magic. But believing in something and manifesting it you are already taking steps (maybe unknowingly) to bring that thing into being. It’s hard work that brings the change of thing about in the end.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I love magic. For me it is something that, although it cannot be seen, is always there latent.

I like fantasy stories, and in general everything that involves magic, because in one way or another they give certain clues on how to use it, on how to open the mind to believe.

As long as you are certain that something exists, it can be obtained and achieved. Besides, that applies to many topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The ability to create or influence change, in my opinion, is already a power. That seems magical to me. It does not occur only in fantasy or the supernatural, but also in real life.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Robyn F wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 07:27 For me, magic is anything that cannot be explained by science. Anything that makes me wow. It can be scientific or not. It just has to give you a feeling of euphoria.
Perhaps one day science will be able to explain Magic. Like there must be some rules, unknown to us for now, that link the magician to the magic they are doing. Perhaps what we call magic is normal in a parallel world, or a spiritual world. We call it magic because we don't understand it.
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Thera reads »

Where I come from, magic is bad no matter the form or the use of it. I just hope to see this book’s perspective of magic.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

I define magic as everything extraordinary, unexpected, unthinkable, and wow-worthy. When Delvin obtained the stone of Borlock, I believe he discovered superhuman qualities in himself.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I think magic in real life is an optical illusion. But in a fiction book, magic is what the writer wants it to be and what the reader imagines it to be. Manifestation however is more like getting "what you wish for".
Liza Chulukhadze
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

I used to view magic just as you described it, in forms of supernatural creatures, but now that I think about it, there are ways to magically get things you desire in life. In most cases, they are just coincidences, but I believe that a human is what he/she believes.
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Symposium of the Reaper by Andrew Adams

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

As a religious person, a Christian, I've come to believe that magic is spiritual manifestation by a human. In other words, that person, the magician, receives help from Spirits(good and evil) to do the unimaginable. There's also the aspect of optical illusions, but I think those are just tricks performed by those with great skill and sometimes intellect.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I find this to be quite an intriguing and philosophical question and I do belong to the school of though which believes that the mind is the planting ground by which there is a manifestation or harvest of the seeds that we wish and desire. The Universe only gives us that which we earnestly desire and seek.
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

I am definitely of the the view as a pragmatist that even though magic does not exist in our world, yet their are energies in the Universe which respond to our innermost desires, prayers and wishes and bring them to us.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

This is an interesting question. Well, in my opinion, I think magic is about the mind, yes, some magician uses wand and sticks but I believe those magician that uses that channel the energy from their being and the power of their mind in the wand they possess. Magic is about the mind and it cannot be practical if your mind isn't aligned.
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I think your description is quite fitting in the context of this story. In regards to manifestation in the real world, I don't think it's a real thing. You wanting stuff fervently with a positive attitude doesn't mean you're getting it any soon.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

There are many interpretations of magic. Misdirection, optical illusions, and others can define a part of magic. I believe that a manifestation is a form of magic in the form of miracles—a fascinating topic for discussion.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”