The Short End of the Stick Goes To...

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Maggie Johnson 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-johnson-2.html
Latest Review: Graham's Folly by Miguel Gutierrez

Re: The Short End of the Stick Goes To...

Post by Maggie Johnson 2 »

Jarla and Grimbolt were definitely my two favorite characters in this book and I would have liked to have seen more of them. I was impressed with how much personality they had. Especially Grimbolt, since he was a more minor character. I know this is the first book in a series, so hopefully Grimbolt will be a bigger part of the later books.

As for Jarla being pushed aside at times because she was a woman, I think it unfortunately made sense for the story. I don't think Delvin was intentionally trying to be rude. They needed to maintain a low profile. But I definitely appreciated the fact that Jarla never failed to point out how ridiculous and unfair it was.
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

I would have like to see Greg developed more. As he was Delvin's best friend, I felt he should have been included in the mission.
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

I had hoped that Grimbolt would have a more significant presence in the story. However, I'm optimistic that he might play a more prominent role in the sequel, which would be exciting to see.

As for Jarla, I don't believe Delvin intended to stereotype her. It seemed like he was simply trying not to draw attention by avoiding anything unconventional. It's possible that the author was faithfully portraying the societal standards and norms of a specific time, which might not necessarily reflect the author's personal beliefs. It's essential to consider the context and historical background when interpreting such portrayals in the story.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”