The Short End of the Stick Goes To...

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
alexsbookhoard
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexsbookhoard.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

The Short End of the Stick Goes To...

Post by alexsbookhoard »

I'm working on my official, formal review of this book, but I need to say that two characters deserved better than they got by the end of this book.

The first character who got the short end of the stick is Grimbolt. He starts as an extremely minor side character who works his way into the position of major side character. He begins to get a personality, and we get to see exactly how observant he is and how he uses his skills beyond just doing his job. By the last page, I was sad that we didn't get to see more of him. I wanted so much more of his presence because he was a good balance of serious and funny, depending on the moment. Maybe I'm the only one he made laugh, but I loved having him around.

The second character is Jarla. She's intense, and fierce, asserts herself (maybe to an extreme), and doesn't let anyone walk all over her...and will harm them if they try. I hated the symbolic 'clipping of her wings' when Delvin makes her trip and break her nails so that they have to be cut. She was such a strong female character and I appreciated that she wasn't just a stereotype...and hated that Delvin seemed to push her back into the stereotype box too much. At times he was even kind of rude about making it clear that he should do a task because it wouldn't look right for a woman to do it.

I definitely enjoyed this book, but justice for Jarla and Grimbolt!
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I agree with you about Grimbolt. I would like to read more about him too. As for Jarla, well, they are on the run and on a covert mission, so to speak. Delvin was being wise when he ask her to step down a bit. If they attract too much attention they could be caught in no time.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

I think that both Grimbolt and Jarla got the right end of the stick. I think the message behind their punishments is that they got retribution for their evil acts, even if they evolved to better characters later in the story. Especially Jarla who is a murderous villainess - tripping her to break her murderous nails was the least favour Delvin could do to the world. I am happy though that Jarla did not lay her nails or teeth on Delvin's Freda! :)
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

Definitely Grimbolt. He should have been given more relevance than was given to him in the story. He was witty and fun and knew how to connect with other people. For me, he got the short end of the stick.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I do agree with you, justice for Grimbolt, he indeed need to have featured more and developed further as a character.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I kind of hoped we would see more of Grimbolt. I'm sure he will appear on the sequel.
Regarding Jarla, I don't think Delvin was trying to stereotype. He was tried not to drag attention by doing something unusual. I imagine the author is just being loyal to a specific time and society standards (that might not be a representation of his beliefs)
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

I think Grimbolt and jarla should have been brought out to the spotlight much more, because they actually possess unique and distinguished attributes that were attractive.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I agree with your points about Grimbolt and Jarla. They should have had better character development. I see no reason why the author didn't give them closure individually.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Grimbolt was definitely the one for me. I loved everything about him. While reading the book, I was just hoping subconsciously that everything goes well with him later on but it is what it is.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by Abiodunakinola »

For me, Grimbolt is definitely a character that needs further development. He is funny, and he makes the story interesting. He deserves a good ending than the one written in this book.
Allison Beard Vion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-beard-vion.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Allison Beard Vion »

I’m glad to read your opinions on this because I agree one hundred percent! Grimbolt was one of the best characters by far, as was Jarla. Both had well-developed personalities that were able to balance between humorous moments and intensity. I would have liked to see more of them, and particularly the interplay between the two. Delvin, by contrast, was a very boring main character who got way too much air time for how little his character and backstory were developed.

In terms of Delvin’s treatment of Jarla and her being ‘put in her place’ as a woman - this is just so typical of the fantasy genre. It would be refreshing to read a fantasy book that doesn’t automatically assume a patriarchal power structure where women are expected to be demure, forcing a character like Jarla to be unusual in her boldness and knowledge.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I agree with others, Jarla needed to stay in a low profile. Literally, she was in an enemy country without protection or backup. I think it made sense that Delvin hold her back in that aspect.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

The part of Jarla’s character needed to be kept on a low because in the era used by the author, women don’t lead. So, they would have been aught easily, had she remain in lead.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Grimbolt should have been given much more significance than he was in the novel. He had a great sense of humor, was clever, and had a knack for making friends. He received the raw deal when it came to me.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

Its Grimbolt for me. He was everything. He was funny, and someone you'd want to just have around no matter what. It would had been nice.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”