Were there any characters you wish had been developed a bit more?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: Were there any characters you wish had been developed a bit more?

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I don't know what happens in the rest of the series but for a book one, I think the author did a good job. I wouldn't change anything, especially a this is a YA book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Natasha Kim
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

I'll say Freda the rabbit. I'd love it more if she wasn't just a pet being carried about. It would be more exciting to hear her thoughts about events that unfold around her and also have one or two pieces of advice for Delvin, I'm sure he would need it.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

For me, there's no character I wish had been developed a bit more. I think everyone was given befitting attention according to their roles in the story. If there's any feeling of a character being underdeveloped then I believe that will be rectified in the sequels to the book—thats why I book series, because any character that seems to have been starved of the spotlight, there's an opportunity to make changes on these in the next book.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Joe Greggonz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-greggonz.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Joe Greggonz »

From my opinion, all the characters were substantially developed. The author carried out a good job on that regard.
Joe Greggonz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-greggonz.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Joe Greggonz »

On this note, I'll commend the author for an excellent job as regards to the development of the characters.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

My favourite character was Freda
I also felt Borlock shouldn't have died in the story and that was disheartening though. I like the character Grimbolt but I still prefer my Freda, even though the character lacked in development.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

I would have loved more scenes about Freda the rabbit. Not just scenes of her performing. Scenes of her with Delvin just relaxing, him asking her questions and in some way him able to pick up what she suggests.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

To answer this question, I'll say all the characters were developed substantially. I liked how their perspectives were shown.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

Grybald could definitely have played a bigger part to excellent effect but all the same I don't know why I felt there could have been more to Delvin's character. As the main character I feel the author could have given him a more sound background seeing as he might have to be in the whole series. It might be a bit awkward introducing aspects pertaining to the main character later on in the series.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Amy A Drake
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-a-drake.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Amy A Drake »

It would have been really neat if Freda was fleshed out more as a direct viewer of the events Delvin goes through but from a vastly different perspective. There is space for other characters to be more developed in possible sequels or stand alone works in the same universe
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

The author did well with each characters development and I appreciate that about the book. But, I would have appreciate it if the author gave a background story on Borlock. Although he died in the course of the story it would have been better if we knew more about him.
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

Absolutely! I share your sentiment regarding Grimbolt; among the characters, his development and unique quirks truly stood out. His personality felt vivid, and his responses were consistently authentic, making him a memorable and engaging character.

On the other hand, I couldn't agree more about Delvin's characterization. As the main protagonist, I had hoped for a deeper exploration of his personality. While he possessed a sweet and optimistic nature, I felt he lacked depth beyond that. I wish he had been portrayed as more thoughtful and intelligent, making him a more compelling character to follow. Instead, he often seemed to be a step behind, not in a way that involves the reader actively solving the plot, but rather, he felt like a passive observer, merely drifting on the surface of events. This left me feeling consistently disappointed and somewhat bored as the story progressed. I believe a more developed and multidimensional protagonist would have enhanced the overall narrative significantly.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”