Would you help your kidnapper if it turned out they were on a mission?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Re: Would you help your kidnapper if it turned out they were on a mission?

Post by Israel10 »

I definitely cannot envisage helping my kidnapper no matter how noble and upright his original intentions were as it would be very difficult for me to see him in a positive light or render any help to him.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

This is a question with an obvious "NO" answer. I would definitely not help my kidnappers in a real life situation.
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

In Delvin's case, he more or less needed her protection, and with his ignorance he may not have lasted long on his own. Personally, I'd like to take the wait and see approach, but fear may very well get through to me. If I was kidnapped, and learned my kidnapper had a mission, I'd still wait and see, I may be in danger already, at least that's how it would look if it was fiction.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I don't think this is a question one answers simply with yes it no. It has layers and probably my answer would depend on the situation. I definitely believe Stockholm syndrome is a real deal. But knowing me I would probably not help my kidnapper but Delvin is kind of that type of person who does that.

Also, kudos for the unique topic question.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Natasha Kim
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

I don't think I would. My instinct will be to run away at any slightest given opportunity because I won't be comfortable as I keep being suspicious of what could happen next.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I think what made Delvin go along with Jarla without running away was his adventurous nature. I think he had a great desire to explore his newfound magical powers, and since he was a traveling magician, going on a trip to save his country was just the perfect opportunity to put his magic tricks into use. I also think his patriotism to Hengel influenced his decision to ride along with the brave princess. Finally, to answer your question, yes, I would help my kidnapper without second thoughts if they were on a 'positive' mission!
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Davy Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davy-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Small Business, Big Stress: A Practical Guide to Managing the Chaos and Finding Success by Niki Reiche

Post by Davy Ifedigbo »

I have never experienced being taken against my will in the past. However, when considering the situation that occurred between Delvin and Princess Jarla, I must admit that I would require reassurance regarding my well-being before assisting someone who has kidnapped me. Of course, my willingness to cooperate would be contingent upon the specific circumstances at hand.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

🤔 I don't think I will trust them enough to believe their words for it. They will have to prove their claims before I attempt not to escape and help them. Not to mention I will probably be scared out of my mind in real life.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

Well, it depends on if my help would not also put me at risk. At first, I would definitely be scared but on second thought I might off a little assistance and show interest before making my escape, just so I wouldn’t be forced.
Justin Christensen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justin-christensen.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Justin Christensen »

I mean, honestly, it would depend on the mission. I have kids, so for the most part I would probably be out of there as soon as I could to get back to my family, but if I find out that this guy is trying to, say, prevent some catastrophic event that might hurt that family? Well, maybe I'd go along.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

That's an interesting question, but in Hindi we have a saying, sometimes you gotta make a donkey your father. So maybe if the cause is strong enough, I might have to help someone who I wouldn't want to necessarily.
Joe Greggonz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-greggonz.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Joe Greggonz »

This isn't a question that can be answered plainly. My action would largely depend on the scenario at hand.
Soma Ezenwanne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soma-ezenwanne.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut

Post by Soma Ezenwanne »

I believe that sometimes some people do bad for a good course. So If I am to understand the reason for my kidnap was positive I think I would consider being helpful.
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Okocha Victor »

No matter how long I think about the question, the flight in me won't let me help my kidnappers, considering the fact that if things go south, you can be framed for the turn of events.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

This question is one that can't be answered easily. This can happen only depending on what the situation is like. Like I've always heard, never say never.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”