Would you help your kidnapper if it turned out they were on a mission?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Re: Would you help your kidnapper if it turned out they were on a mission?

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

Why not?? Life is too short to deprive the adventures that life offers us hahaha. Kidding aside, I think having a little thrill or even more than a little will make us more experienced in life. Life is too short so take every risk we have.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I think I would be super mad in the beginning, however, if they had a good enough reason then maybe I would help them out. I think I would definitely end up scolding them for not even asking.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

The fact that Jarla brokered no nonsense when it came to Delvin accompanying her is a given and I don't think he had much say in it! If I found out that my kidnapper was on a mission that made sense I just might help them out too!
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Dalia Chf »

This is such an interesting question!

I honestly don’t know what I would do, or what my conscience would tell me to do in a situation like that, but I think that faith would play a big role in how I act.

I think I would do anything if it meant saving my life, but I would draw a line at doing something forbidden in my religion.

Or at least I hope I would have that kind of strength!
Amy A Drake
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-a-drake.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Amy A Drake »

I think it depends if we're talking real world or fictional world. In the real world my concern is my self preservation. Ultimately anyone kidnapping is willing to have harm come to me for some benefit to them.
In fiction, the stakes are different and the rules of the world are different. In that situation I might.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I don't think I would be willing to save or rescue my kidnapper. But, I guess if the scene played out just like in the case of Delvin and Jarla I might do the same.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I wouldn't do so, I would keep thinking what if he have killed me will I be there to safe him now. What if I safe him and he hurts me again. No I wouldn't do it.
Maggie Johnson 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-johnson-2.html
Latest Review: Graham's Folly by Miguel Gutierrez

Post by Maggie Johnson 2 »

I had the same reaction initially when reading the book. I couldn't believe Delvin just went along with Jarla and didn't try to escape. However, after getting further into the book it did seem in line with Delvin's character.

As for me personally, I think it would depend on the situation. I think the only way I would willingly help my kidnapper was if the consequences of not doing so were extremely dire. Even then, I certainly wouldn't ever be able to trust my kidnapper.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

In Charles Townsend's book, "The Magician's Secret," the topic of whether one would help their kidnapper if they were on a mission is explored. The protagonist, Delvin, finds himself in a dilemma when he continues to assist his kidnapper, Jarla, throughout the story.

While not having read the book, it is interesting to consider the factors that might influence Delvin's actions. It is possible that Delvin's decision to help Jarla goes beyond mere survival. There might be underlying motivations such as a sense of duty, empathy, or a personal connection that develops between them over time.

The book likely raises questions about the greater good and personal sacrifice. If Delvin believes that aiding Jarla's mission could save a country or prevent a great tragedy, he might feel compelled to make sacrifices for the greater good, despite the unorthodox circumstances of their relationship.

In response to the topic, individual opinions may vary. If they were on a mission with good intentions, some people could be willing to aid a kidnapper, while others might put their own safety first and decide not to. One's response to such a scenario is significantly influenced by personal experiences, values, and moral boundaries.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Oluwasegun Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwaseguntimothy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oluwasegun Timothy »

I doubt my ability to do so. The mere thought of it fills me with great unease, and I imagine I would instinctively escape at the earliest opportunity! Nonetheless, we can only speculate about the outcome unless we find ourselves in that very situation, though I sincerely hope we never do!
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

I can't imagine being helpful to someone who kidnapped me. That is not a civilized way to gain cooperation. Also, I am not particularly patriotic. It would have to be a better cause than saving a country.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I think that if I had the means to do it, I would help but I wouldn't go too out of my way for it.
Despina Samartean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-despina-samartean.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Despina Samartean »

I see this as a dicey question. What if after I help them, they turn around to harm me? Thinking about this, I think the only option will be to help them, so yeah!
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

Your question is truly thought-provoking, and my response would be contingent on the individuals involved and the specific circumstances at hand. If I were in a situation where my kidnapper posed a significant threat to my country and innocent people within it, and if their intentions were malicious, I would make every effort to escape and prevent any harm.

However, in the case of Jarla, considering her high status and her noble mission to save the country, I would probably align myself with her cause. Like Delvin, I would choose to become a member of her team and offer my assistance in any way possible. Being part of a mission to protect the greater good and defend innocent lives would be a path I'd willingly follow.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Chaos Rising by P.D. Blackwell

Post by Aditii Mehta »

I think if that mission involves protecting people from evil or any kind of harm, I would definitely help my kidnappers. On the contrary, if they have a bad intention or they don't seem good , my first goal will be to run from there.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”