Would you help your kidnapper if it turned out they were on a mission?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Re: Would you help your kidnapper if it turned out they were on a mission?

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I think in this case Delvin didn't really have a better place to go. He would be chaser by the black magician and Grimbolt. At least, Jarla took him out of the castle so he felt safer than he was moments before.
Allison Beard Vion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-beard-vion.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Allison Beard Vion »

Laura Ismajli wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 14:35 This is such a great question!

I think in the real world, I'd definitely be trying to run away at the first opportunity. I'd be tagging along with Grimboldt, or sneaking out the back door of an inn. That being said, I am not the adventurous type. :D

I think Delvin just kind of goes with the flow. He has the opportunity to practice magic, and that is good enough for him. Also, I think the fact that Jarla is royalty, and one of the leaders of his country, plays a huge roll in his compliance with her mission. I doubt he would be as subservient to someone with equal social status.

I am wondering why Maegar continues to stay. She barely tries to escape. Even after all is said and done, she is still hanging around. I'd be interested to learn more about her motivations!
I completely agree with this read of the situation. I, too, would have tried to escape! I think an additional piece of the puzzle is that Delvin at this point is essentially a wanted man, so he can’t necessarily return to his place of residence, since it’s known to the powers that be. So he might feel like he doesn’t have a whole lot of options.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I though that about Fionella, but yes same question works with Delvin. I think, maybe, once he discovers that the Guild is behind everything, he wants to revenge Borlock in some point as well?
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

This question is delicate, and I think regardless of the answer we give here, the ultimate step to take when that time comes will lost probably be determined by our mood at that moment and the level of awareness we operate at that very moment. Life happens, no doubt, and we can sometimes see ourselves doing things that we even get shocked to recall. So for me, I can't properly answer this question until I am caught in that moment.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

If the person who kidnapped me had a valid and ethical mission that aligned with my own values and beliefs, and if I believed that helping them could lead to a positive outcome, I may consider going along with them. However, if the mission involved harming others or going against my personal moral code, I would not go along with it and would instead seek help and escape from the situation.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

If I was Delvin, I would have left the first light of the morning, but thinking back, cause it’s being a while I read the novel, the author portrayed Jarla as a vicious and firm person, with that her long nail😂. Delvin might have been scared to cross her. But thank goodness he didn’t leave the first chance he got.
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

I will help my kidnapper if only it's for a good course. Because always in doing the right thing no matter the situation.
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

I can help my kidnapper, but only when it's for a good course. I always believe in doing the right thing no matter the situation.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I think I would be inclined to help to ensure my own safety, and if there was a good cause. I think the world is not black and white, so a "kidnapper" may actually be a good person. Everyone has a motive for their actions, and I believe if the end goal is something I allign with, then yes, I would help!
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

Personally I’d run at the first opportunity except there’s already been some sort of agreement between us. And I’ve seen things from his perspective.
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I totally agree with you. I don't think I would: how could I trust someone who just kidnapped me to tell me the truth about their mission? On the other hand, if they had unmistakable proof of what they were saying, I would consider it.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

This is a really good question. My response will vary depending on who is involved and the circumstances. If my captor were terrible and wanted to hurt my nation and any uninvolved citizens, I would attempt to flee. Nevertheless, given Jarla's position and the fact that she was working to preserve the nation, I would probably join her team and provide support in any way I could. I would have thus done as Delvin did.
Darlings O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

This is a shocking question. I think if it was a life-and-death situation and the kidnapper lets me know, I will cooperate with him or her. After all, he would set me free after he completes his mission.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

I would most definitely not help them hf u don't know what the mission is. I can't commit to going forward without knowing where it all leads.
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Olivia Bird Whitworth wrote: 30 Mar 2023, 11:53 I'm surprised there isn't already a topic for this. I only just finished the book (sorry, I know March is nearly over), and it kept bothering me that Delvin just went along and tried to help Jarla for the rest of the book. I understand why he needed to go along with her at first, to get out of the cellar and away from the people who arrested him and held him captive, but I don't get why he didn't just run away the next morning. Or the next one.

In the end he ended up being the only reason they could have saved Hengel, but I just wondered if any of you would actually be willing to help someone who just essentially "kidnapped" you (I know he was stuck already beforehand) if it turned out they were on a mission to save a country. I probably wouldn't, but then again I've never had a desire to go off saving the world.
Well, if he didn't go along with Jarla, there would be no storyline so it was necessary for him to follow his kidnapper, but for an in-world explanation, I think Delvin was an adventurous person who saw Jarla's quest as noble and wanted in. Personally, I agree with you; I don't have a desire to save the world, and if this happened to me, I would probably try to escape as soon as possible.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”