Would you help your kidnapper if it turned out they were on a mission?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Re: Would you help your kidnapper if it turned out they were on a mission?

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I also thought that was strange and unprecedented, but it was the backbone of a wonderful story of adventure which we wouldn't have without Delvin's decision to go through with the missions..
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Yes, I never quite understand why Delvin with all the magic at his disposal never tried to escape from Princess Jarla. Her mission had nothing to do with him. But I understand why he did. He found his purpose in life. So, I could assist my kidnapper if I thought that his/her mission was worthwhile.
Monica Smith
Currently Reading: Blood of the Exiled
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-smith.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Monica Smith »

I was thinking that it was unilkely for anyone to just go along with their kidnapping. I was surprised thst he never really made any effort to get out of this situation. Yes, he was taken by a royal, but still, most people would at least attempt to get away. Though as many have said, there would not be much of a story had he just abandoned the princess. I would perhaps aid my kidnapper if their cause was good and just, and wasn't likely to kill me too :lol:.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think I would, but I have never been in that position. There is such a thing as Stockholm syndrome, empathizing with captors, but I’d think that would take a much longer time. Maybe if they had a good reason? IDK
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

To be realistic I would'nt help my kidnapper even if I found out that they were on a mission. I'll always feel distrust towards the person and even violated to some extent. I don't think helping the person out would be in my head at all.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I believe I will cooperate to the extent that my abilities allow, as long as my safety is guaranteed. Life-threatening activities, in my opinion, should be left to the appropriate authorities and individuals who have received proper training. If I am not fit for the mission, I may become a liability rather than a source of help.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Delvin probably thought that it was more exciting to go on an adventure with Jarla than to try on magical tricks on the villagers. Also, Jarla made it look like Delvin was the kidnapper of two princesses and he did not know how to get out of that.
Let's not forget that Jarla freed him from the cellar he was locked in.
I agree though, that the author could have let us know Delvin's motivation to follow and help Jarla.
Andrada Madalina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I don't think I would help my kidnapper in his mission, regardless of whether he had the best intentions to save someone. I would always be reluctant and keep him under observation, but I think it also depends a lot on the context he is in and if the stakes of the mission are huge in the sense that a person's life can really depend on our intervention.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

This is interesting. Funny that it didn't occur to me while reading, I just went with the flow. If it were me I'd be escaping the minute I was free. But I think Delvin was a unique character. He responded uncharacteristically in most situations. So I'm not surprised he helped Princess Jarla.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

Being the person I am now, I would say most definitely not. But if I had to face some sort of trauma prior, perhaps my brain would be wired differently. But no, I will find a way to escape rather than help my kidnapper, regardless of whatever their mission was. Unless, it involved, maybe, saving the entire world and they treated my nicely. Lol.
Last edited by Vivian Writes on 03 May 2023, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

If the situation is almost or same with what happened between Jarla and Delvin, then I would say yes I most probably would. But I would do so if I feel it in my gut and if I'll feel sense of safety.
Liza Chulukhadze
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

If I found out that sacrificing myself in any sort of way could benefit a country, I definitely would act like Delvin.
Carly Sprout
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

I hate to be a buzzkill here but I think it's important to keep in mind the distinction between fiction and reality. While it's easy to get caught up in the story and the characters, it's crucial to remember that these are just fictional creations and not real people. It's also important to recognize that what works in a fictional narrative may not necessarily work in real life, and the decisions made by characters in a book should not be taken as a guide for how we should act in our own lives. Media often presents unrealistic and simplistic views of romance and relationships, where everything is resolved neatly and happily ever after. In contrast, real life is much messier and more complex...and don't always make narrative sense.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

Every normal person will have the tendency of flight. I think he following his kidnappers has something to do with the protectives instinct of men.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

This question is tricky. Lol. Oh well, if I agree with the mission of the kidnapper of course I would help him, that is, if the mission is for the greater good. It is only a case of doing the right thing via a wrong channel.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”