The Illusion of Knowledge and Its Impact on Personal Freedom

Use this forum to discuss the April 2023 Book of the month, "The Unfakeable Code®: Take Back Control, Lead Authentically and Live Freely on Your Terms" by Tony Jeton Selimi.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=505642

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

The Illusion of Knowledge and Its Impact on Personal Freedom

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

"What limits your freedom is what you think you know that isn’t true.” – Tony J. Selimi
(Location 384 - Kindle Version)

Our perception of reality is often shaped by the knowledge we believe we possess. However, when our understanding is based on misconceptions or false information, it can limit our personal freedom and growth.

In my perspective, the illusion of knowledge significantly limits our personal freedom by preventing us from seeing alternative viewpoints and opportunities for growth. By cultivating a mindset that values curiosity, humility, and skepticism, we can recognize and overcome these barriers to our understanding. Through critical thinking and a willingness to challenge our beliefs, we can foster an environment where personal freedom flourishes.

Do you agree with the idea that the illusion of knowledge limits personal freedom and that fostering a mindset of curiosity and critical thinking can help overcome these barriers? How do you think this approach would impact your own life and understanding?
Shanesha Sammerson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

The notion that the illusion of knowledge can limit personal freedom and that cultivating curiosity and critical thinking can help overcome these limitations is a perspective held by many individuals. The idea suggests that when people believe they have comprehensive knowledge about a subject or the world, they may become complacent or resistant to new information or alternative viewpoints. This can restrict their ability to adapt, grow, and make informed decisions.

By embracing a mindset of curiosity and critical thinking, individuals are more likely to question their assumptions, seek out new information, and consider diverse perspectives. This approach can enhance their understanding of the world and lead to more nuanced insights, enabling them to make better-informed choices and engage more meaningfully with others.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I do agree that the illusion of knowledge can lead to individuals feeling complacent. I think when people get complacent, they start lacking the desire to improve themselves or improve their knowledge.
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

It's hard to disagree, since we're all shaped by knowledge and our surroundings. However, I'll try my hand at disagreeing a little bit. I don't think it's an illusion of knowledge at play here, but an illusion of truth. I only know what I know, and don't know what I was never taught or experienced first-hand. Knowledge is about fact, so knowledge can't be an illusion. The illusion is what I think to be true. That's why cognitive dissonance is such a big deal in society.

Take, for instance, a surgeon who smokes cigarettes. This surgeon went to medical school, and was certainly taught about the dangers of tobacco products as well as the illnesses that may befall those who partake of them. The knowledge is sound. Yet, the surgeon still smokes cigarettes. Why? He/she thinks that those illnesses will never happen to them or perhaps that they'll be able to contend with the illness if it were to occur. What this person thinks to be true is illusory. In fact, it's perception that is limiting. What is the case and what someone thinks to be the case can often be very different.
Marissa Maniaci
Currently Reading: The King's Bargain
Bookshelf Size: 1722
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-maniaci.html
Latest Review: Preppers Medical Handbook by William W Forgey

Post by Marissa Maniaci »

Jessica Cole 3 wrote: 05 Jul 2023, 20:35 It's hard to disagree, since we're all shaped by knowledge and our surroundings. However, I'll try my hand at disagreeing a little bit. I don't think it's an illusion of knowledge at play here, but an illusion of truth. I only know what I know, and don't know what I was never taught or experienced first-hand. Knowledge is about fact, so knowledge can't be an illusion. The illusion is what I think to be true. That's why cognitive dissonance is such a big deal in society.

Take, for instance, a surgeon who smokes cigarettes. This surgeon went to medical school, and was certainly taught about the dangers of tobacco products as well as the illnesses that may befall those who partake of them. The knowledge is sound. Yet, the surgeon still smokes cigarettes. Why? He/she thinks that those illnesses will never happen to them or perhaps that they'll be able to contend with the illness if it were to occur. What this person thinks to be true is illusory. In fact, it's perception that is limiting. What is the case and what someone thinks to be the case can often be very different.
I really liked your take on this question, especially that it is perception that is limiting. I think you're completely right that we may have knowledge and yet choose not to implement it in our lives. We may know that diet and exercise are critical to our health and well-being, but that doesn't mean we all immediately adjust our lifestyle to apply that knowledge to our life. Or as you mentioned with cognitive dissonance, we may choose (consciously or subconsciously) to ignore new knowledge because it conflicts with our existing knowledge or would require effort and input from us that we are unwilling to give.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I also believe that people can become complacent due to the illusion of knowing. I feel that when people become complacent, they become slave to their comforts, and slowly losing the strength to get out of it. It would be beneficial to always have an open and curious mindset.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

I certainly concur that people may feel complacent as a result of the illusion of knowledge. In my opinion, people lose the motivation to better themselves or their knowledge when they get complacent.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The main idea is that the more you know, the more you realize how little you know. I am fully aware that learning is an ongoing process, so I keep learning new things every day.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

I completely agree with your perspective! The illusion of knowledge can indeed limit our personal freedom by limiting our worldview and preventing us from considering alternative viewpoints. It's so important to approach life with curiosity and humility, as this can help us to critically evaluate the information we receive and recognize the potential biases and misconceptions that may be present.

The willingness to challenge our own beliefs is a key part of personal growth and development. By being open to the possibility that we may be wrong, we can gain a more complete understanding of the world around us.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

I think it depends on the individual in question. For some people, indeed the illusion of knowledge can limit their personal freedom because it is a character flaw to become complacent and lose motivation to learn new things.

However, for other individuals, learning is an ongoing process, and they are naturally open-minded and curious about learning new things.
Zippy Kerubo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zippy-kerubo.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Zippy Kerubo »

I agree 100 % there will be no limit if you take yourself as someone who doesn't know and you will progress knowing more and more without limits
Sofia Monteiro
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sofia-monteiro.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Sofia Monteiro »

While I do believe fostering a mindset of curiosity and critical thinking can help overcome barriers, for me, our biggest limitation is more related to our horizons of knowledge, not to the validaty of the knowledge in itself. Especially when thinking of the social media presence in our lives, it's easy to get stuck in a social bubble and start thinking your limited knowledge represents the total.
Sofia Monteiro
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sofia-monteiro.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Sofia Monteiro »

Jessica Cole 3 wrote: 05 Jul 2023, 20:35 It's hard to disagree, since we're all shaped by knowledge and our surroundings. However, I'll try my hand at disagreeing a little bit. I don't think it's an illusion of knowledge at play here, but an illusion of truth. I only know what I know, and don't know what I was never taught or experienced first-hand. Knowledge is about fact, so knowledge can't be an illusion. The illusion is what I think to be true. That's why cognitive dissonance is such a big deal in society.

I can totally see your point, as when the knowledge is more direct, the problem isn't in its cogency, but in the use one make of it. Especially for a case such as in the example you gave, I think it's an issue of one convincing oneself of a truth, against a more rational judgment, so it can validate an unreasonable behavior.
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

No one is an island of knowledge. The illusion of knowing could have two effects, it could either make one hunger to learn more or to be complacent in learning more.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Do you know the Dunning-Kruger effect? It's a cognitive bias that leads someone to overestimate their competence due to the fact that they're actually ignorant about the subject at the center of such delusion.

This thread offered some very interesting food for thought about the variations and ramifications of the illusion of knowledge. Cognitive dissonance and complacenty can certainly cause as much problems as the illusion of knowledge, which means that we need to be honest with ourselves and recognize those flaws if we don't want to fall for them.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Discuss "The Unfakeable Code®: Take Back Control, Lead Authentically and Live Freely on Your Terms" by Tony Jeton Selimi”