Mystery/Thriller Book Discussion (Apr '23)

For April 2023, we will be reading Mystery/Thriller books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Mystery/Thriller Book Discussion (Apr '23)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

We will be reading books that fall under the genre, Mystery/Thriller.

Mystery:
a genre of literature whose stories focus on a puzzling crime, situation, or circumstance that needs to be solved.
Thriller:
a genre of fiction with numerous, often overlapping, subgenres, including crime, horror and detective fiction.Thrillers are characterized and defined by the moods they elicit, giving their audiences heightened feelings of suspense, excitement, surprise, anticipation and anxiety.

Here are some guiding questions to generate discussion:
  • What did you read?
  • Was it a mystery, thriller, or a combination of both?
  • Were there other genres woven into the text? If so, which one(s)?
  • Give a short synopsis of the book you read.
  • What did you rate this book?
  • Who is the targeted audience for this book?
Can't wait to read what everyone has read! :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I just got Verity by Colleen Hoover from the library today. It sounds like it should be a good one to read, so my plan is to read it for this month's discussion.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rosesbookpicks
Favorite Book: Small Spaces
Currently Reading: A school for good and evil
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosesbookpicks.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 21:01 I just got Verity by Colleen Hoover from the library today. It sounds like it should be a good one to read, so my plan is to read it for this month's discussion.
That's great:) I heard great reviews of this book:D
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

BeccaHart wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 03:56
Heidi M Simone wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 21:01 I just got Verity by Colleen Hoover from the library today. It sounds like it should be a good one to read, so my plan is to read it for this month's discussion.
That's good to hear! The reviews look pretty amazing. :)
Heidi

Rosesbookpicks

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 21:21 We will be reading books that fall under the genre, Mystery/Thriller.

Mystery:
a genre of literature whose stories focus on a puzzling crime, situation, or circumstance that needs to be solved.
Thriller:
a genre of fiction with numerous, often overlapping, subgenres, including crime, horror, and detective fiction. Thrillers are characterized and defined by the moods they elicit, giving their audiences heightened feelings of suspense, excitement, surprise, anticipation, and anxiety.

• What did you read?
I liked Mystery! I read the book Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein and it was nice! It was just a mystery because the book was about puzzles and how to escape the library. They were also other genres of it like adventure, games, and puzzles. The synopsis of the book is that the main character which is Kyle got the spot for Mr. Lemoncello's Library. When morning comes, the doors are locked and they can't get out. That's how the conflicts and mystery starts. I rate this book 4 stars because it's good enough but the book didn't really catch my interest. Most likely to read this book are people who like mysteries and puzzles and games. Also, it's okay for the middle-grade audiences because it was also fun and friends and appropriate for their ages. It was also good for young-adult ages who like puzzles and mysteries:)
Rosesbookpicks

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 20:06
Yeah! I hope you like the book:)
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nielly Rose Sutacio wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 00:41
Heidi M Simone wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 20:06

Yeah! I hope you like the book:)
Thank you! So far, I'm hooked! :)
Heidi

Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nielly Rose Sutacio wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 00:40
Heidi M Simone wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 21:21 We will be reading books that fall under the genre, Mystery/Thriller.

Mystery:
Thriller:
a genre of fiction with numerous, often overlapping, subgenres, including crime, horror, and detective fiction. Thrillers are characterized and defined by the moods they elicit, giving their audiences heightened feelings of suspense, excitement, surprise, anticipation, and anxiety.

• What did you read?
I liked Mystery! I read the book Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein and it was nice! It was just a mystery because the book was about puzzles and how to escape the library. They were also other genres of it like adventure, games, and puzzles. The synopsis of the book is that the main character which is Kyle got the spot for Mr. Lemoncello's Library. When morning comes, the doors are locked and they can't get out. That's how the conflicts and mystery starts. I rate this book 4 stars because it's good enough but the book didn't really catch my interest. Most likely to read this book are people who like mysteries and puzzles and games. Also, it's okay for the middle-grade audiences because it was also fun and friends and appropriate for their ages. It was also good for young-adult ages who like puzzles and mysteries:)
I actually read this one, too, a little while back! It was cute, and I agree with the target audience. A 4 is a pretty good rating. It's too bad that it didn't capture your attention, but it's good that you feel the target audience would enjoy it.
Heidi

Rosesbookpicks

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 20:17

Mystery:

Thriller:

• What did you read?
I actually read this one, too, a little while back! It was cute, and I agree with the target audience. A 4 is a pretty good rating. It's too bad that it didn't capture your attention, but it's good that you feel the target audience would enjoy it.
That's nice! What do you think of Escape from Mr. Lemoncello anyway?
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Nielly Rose Sutacio wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 22:25

I thought it was good for what it was. I read it with my previous students when I was teaching (before a stay-at-home mama), and my students really enjoyed the book. I liked how excited they got to solve some of the puzzles that were included. I'm not sure if I would have been able to read the book on my own due to interest-level and motivation, so it was good that my students were interested!
Heidi

Rosesbookpicks

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 26 Apr 2023, 14:30
Nielly Rose Sutacio wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 22:25

I thought it was good for what it was. I read it with my previous students when I was teaching (before a stay-at-home mama), and my students really enjoyed the book. I liked how excited they got to solve some of the puzzles that were included. I'm not sure if I would have been able to read the book on my own due to interest-level and motivation, so it was good that my students were interested!
That's nice to hear that your student was interested in reading it!
keedavid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by keedavid »

I have read all these books and they had fantastic story plots. Right now got menacing angles written by author Carolyn S Tanner. The story plot and characters are well-developed and hooked you to read till the end. I can recommend you check it out.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

keedavid wrote: 30 May 2023, 15:19 I have read all these books and they had fantastic story plots. Right now got menacing angles written by author Carolyn S Tanner. The story plot and characters are well-developed and hooked you to read till the end. I can recommend you check it out.
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll have to check it out!
Heidi

keedavid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by keedavid »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 09:58
keedavid wrote: 30 May 2023, 15:19 I have read all these books and they had fantastic story plots. Right now got menacing angles written by author Carolyn S Tanner. The story plot and characters are well-developed and hooked you to read till the end. I can recommend you check it out.
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll have to check it out!
Sure!

Return to “April 2023 Genre Discussion”