How Can You Stand Up For Or Help Children With Special Needs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Re: How Can You Stand Up For Or Help Children With Special Needs?

Post by Brian Ruguru »

The subject of children with special needs is broad and exhaustive. Is it possible to empower/educate bullies on the repercussions of their actions to the victims' mental health?
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 06 May 2023, 14:56 You can advocate for them by educating people about their particular needs. For example, I had a special needs student in my class as a teacher. Before the school year started, her mother called a meeting with school staff to educate us about her daughter's needs and warning signs for when she would need to go to the hospital. She printed out information to keep in our planning books for reference. Then I met with the remaining staff and taught them what I had learned. I also spoke to my students and taught them what they needed to know about their classmate. Educating people is beneficial so they know what to expect instead of judging or bullying.
Great job. That is what should be done. Spreading awareness and educating people about how to treat/take care of kids with special needs.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Romeo Aiyabei wrote: 06 May 2023, 22:41 You can help by taking the time to understand them and communicate with them. My younger sister is non-verbal so I've been trying to learn different ways to communicate with her throughout her life. Now we have ACC and that's helped a lot but for many years my family was in denial about her being non verbal and autistic and didn't really want to get her speech therapy or an ACC. They just wanted her to be "normal". During those years, our main way to communicate would be her taking my hand and showing me things or pointing to things. My family members didn't like that I would respond to her. They thought that by me "giving in" it was making her less likely to talk. But I knew that it is cruel to not try and communicate with my sister just because she didnt communicate the way the rest of us do! I don't know if she will ever talk but whether she does or doesn't I will still try and connect with her the best I can because she's still my sister and still worthy of love.
Good advice: we should interact and communicate with them. I like that you, despite your parents disapproval, talked to your sister in the way she could. It would have been lonely not being able to speak to family, so that's amazing what you did for her.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Patty Allread wrote: 07 May 2023, 12:25 My sister is a special needs person, and after our parents passed, I became her legal guardian. I have advocated for her many times to keep her off of psychotropic drugs. Her mental disability is physically caused, but in today's world, mind-altering psychotropic drugs are often pushed on people like my sister. She has been able to live a happy, drug-free life with people helping her in a loving environment which allows her to function within her community and be as productive as possible.

I used my passion for protecting children like my sister and brought legislation forward in my state that prevents schools from forcing parents to put their children on these drugs. It is called The Child Medication Safety Act.
Amazing Patty! The act must have saved many kids in your state from being forced to take these psychotropic drugs.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

One suggestion I can think of is that many schools don't have a special needs class, like Donny's school did, so schools can, if possible, create these classes.
Kids start learning from an early age, so parents and teachers should definitely teach them about special needs kids and how to speak with them.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Shanesha Sammerson wrote: 07 May 2023, 19:52 Children with special needs often require additional support, and their families may need help in various ways such as emotional support, transportation or respite care. You can offer support to these families through volunteering or donating to organizations that provide support services.
Donating to organisations that help with special requirements, that's a good idea. Awareness and support is the best way to help children with special needs.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Bianca Morano wrote: 07 May 2023, 23:15 Autism is a spectrum that varies from person to person with such a condition. Others might need medicinal support while others may not. It's important to let them have a doctor's examination to know their specific needs. People who stand up for children with special needs can help in many ways. Being open-minded and patient is a must. Trying to communicate with them can be challenging most of all. I had a brother who has it and is also non-verbal. Since we can't bring him to a doctor, our family is doing the best it could to provide for his basic needs and better understand him. While researching for better ways in understanding their condition.
True. Patience, care, support, understanding, they all are necessary to help special needs kids.
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

I think that the first thing that can be done will be to make sure that they are not excluded. Some in our society likes to do just that, so I think that is where I will focus first. I would definitely try to make sure that they are extremely comfortable with everything. If I face something like what Mary Grace faced, I will stand up to the bullies.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

There are LOTS of ways to help children with special needs. The most common, passive way is to donate to known credible charities and organizations that actively support and help children with special needs. Another common way that is more active is to volunteer in such organizations. By being a volunteer, you can be grounded about the situation of children with special needs and know first-hand how one can help and support them. Finally, the easiest and probably the most important way to be able to help children with special needs is to be self-aware of how one acts around children with special needs and if their own action is appropriate and if there is something that should be improved or changed.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Teach them how to develop self confidence and high self esteem. Don't let them wallow in self pity, thinking they are good for nothing.
Let them know they are special and can be anything they want to be.
That way, they can always stand up for themselves and aim higher because you may not always be there to defend them from bullies.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

For kids with special care, they need so much love and care. I treat them equally with those who have normal lives. I think creating awareness on their challenges is a great with to stand up for those who require special care.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

Thankfully, there is a lot of information on helping special needs kids in today's world. Sticking to a predictable daily routine is one of the best ways to reduce stress and minimize challenges for these children. When it comes to educating them, showing, telling, and stepwise teaching can be helpful.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Christine Palmer »

The first step is checking your own biases, and raising kind and compassionate children. Teach your children to be inclusive and value every person. Lead by example and we will not raise the next generation of angry bullies.
Joy Enny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-enny.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Joy Enny »

I have a friend who doesn't speak or hear. I make myself available to interpret what he is saying to others. He is always happy being able to interact with others and not being left out of discussions.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

The best thing that you can do is work on developing a sense of empathy and teaching those around you to educate themselves and ensuring that the children with special needs are only around people who are caring and have the child's well being in mind.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”