Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Mbali Qalinge wrote: 17 May 2023, 09:41 I found the book to be quite enjoyable and heartwarming. The book beautifully portrays themes of love, family, and inclusiveness, with Donny's character being a positive representation of a child with Down Syndrome. The inclusiveness was my favorite aspect, as it was portrayed with Donny, the friendship between Mary Grace and Penelope, who's from China, and also with the little slip of a gay couple Father Randall and his husband, Bill. I definitely recommend the book to anyone looking to read a children's book with worthwhile lessons.
This book is practical and can be read by anyone! The diversity melted my heart. It is quite an exceptional read, given the target genre.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I liked this book. I think it was poignant because it was discussing very sensitive topic of bullying. Most people around the world fall victim to this, and they don't know how address it. This book sheds light on that. It would be fitting to be read by both adults and children. I rate it full stars because it really impressed me.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

While the book is aimed at children, quite a few enjoyable themes and lessons are explored. Topics such as bullying, diversity, and inclusion are included, and I thoroughly enjoyed this aspect of the book, not to mention the lovely main characters, Donny and Mary Grace. I did not notice anything I did not like about the book and would give it a five out of five rating.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

The book was quite educating but then the book did not fit well into this genre owing to it voluminous nature and not also having illustration.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

I reviewed this book and gave it a five out of five star rating. The inclusion of mysteries like Donny's disappearance at the zoo and the appearance of the notes on Mary Grace's desk create expectations that keep you on your toes. The plot around bullying was well handled as it conveys positive lessons and learning for children.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I like the plot of the book. The story tells of what some people are experiencing in real life. The stigma faced by people with disabilities but this story shows me how you can show love and care to those people. Due to it being a children's book, the writing style was not too formal nor complex. I like how the author used genres like love, friendship, parenthood, childhood, forgiveness and so on. I like the cover and title of the book, it is appropriate for a book meant for children. I learnt how to be a loving parent and having a great relationship with your kids no matter their disabilities.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

The book is highly recommended for children because it will let them know that bullying is prohibited. This book is well-edited and easy to read. Therefore, I would rate it five out of five stars.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I thoroughly enjoyed this children's book for its educational and uplifting qualities. It effectively conveys the significant message of treating others with kindness and fostering inclusivity without any sense of superiority towards individuals with special needs.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

I think it was very well made especially since it addresses a common social issue that effects the most sensitive members of society, kids, there for I would gladly give it a five and recommend it to as many people as possible.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Dennis Kiage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-kiage.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Dennis Kiage »

I found this book suggested on my Kindle, so I read it. It is a nice book overall, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'll give more opinion once I submit my review for it. Its a 5 star for me.
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

The book was exceptional. My favourite thing about the book was the attachment that the family members had for each other. When I first read the title, I thought that the book will majorly be about the Grandma Gang. I was wrong in that aspect. The greatest lesson I learnt is that bullying need to be addressed even from a young age. Justin said the words similar to his father, so he learnt everything from him. This shows that family does play a part in one's wrongdoings and to rectify it, everyone must work together. I loved this book and I highly recommend it to children as well as teachers and parents. This book is like a guide to show that bullying is bad and everyone must read it.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

It's a beautiful book that emphasizes in siblings bond and bullying. I totally recommend it and don't mind reading it again.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

This book was intriguing. I could feel the passion and love with which this book was written with. It was underd a great read for me
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

I absolutely loved reading "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe. Despite not typically being drawn to children's books, this one captured my heart and exceeded all expectations. From the very first chapter, I was immediately captivated and couldn't put it down. The book's ability to hold my attention, despite its target audience, was truly remarkable.

What stood out to me the most was the captivating storytelling and the richly developed characters. The author's skill in crafting an engaging narrative made the reading experience enjoyable for readers of all ages. It was a refreshing surprise to discover a children's book that could genuinely captivate and engage me throughout.

The book falls into the genre of children's adventure. Through the exciting adventures of Donny and Mary Grace as they embrace a new environment, readers are taken on a thrilling journey.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to everyone. Whether you're a child, a parent, or an adult seeking an entertaining read, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" will not disappoint. It has earned a full 5 out of 5 rating from me.
Rosandra Hosein
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

I gave the book a full rating. This was because of its potential to teach something to the reader mainly. The story also has suspense which is essential in any story. The simple writing style of Pepe also makes it suitable for the intended reader.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”