***Spoiler Alert—do not answer this question until you have finished the book***

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Re: ***Spoiler Alert—do not answer this question until you have finished the book***

Post by Laney K »

I had thought that is was all Tiffany before the reveal. I thought she was jealous and the real culprit hadn't been introduced as of yet.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I definitely thought it was Tiffany and she did it due to being jealous. I understood when the truth came out, but it also made me sad for Justin's situation at home. I think this happens more than we actually realise.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Leasa Ana Maria wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 15:12 I also thought that it was Tiffany and I was surprised to find out it was Justin.
Smrithi Arun wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 00:14 I don’t think anyone could’ve predicted Justin to be the one as he was never mentioned earlier in the book. Now, a character introduction like Justin at a crucial plot point isn’t typical. But I liked the unique path the author took for the same.
Laney K wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 05:41 I had thought that it was all Tiffany before the reveal. I thought she was jealous and the real culprit hadn't been introduced as of yet.
I began rethinking Tiffany as the guilty party because she was so obvious, but I knew of no other options. Justin definitely had an abrupt entrance into the story, but I was pleased with what happened with his character after that.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Hubre De Klerk wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 09:16 I definitely thought it was Tiffany and she did it due to being jealous. I understood when the truth came out, but it also made me sad for Justin's situation at home. I think this happens more than we actually realise.
For me, the time we spent understanding Justin’s home life after he was identified as the culprit made up for the fact that we had not heard of him beforehand. I think you are right about how often situations like this exist. Forms of acting out, like bullying, often have underlying issues. I was so pleased with Justin’s form of punishment and was glad we got to see his turnaround.

BTW, you have such a great smile in your profile picture. I can’t help but smile back whenever I see one of your posts. :greetings-waveyellow:
Rosa Parks
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

MsH2k wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 18:53
Hubre De Klerk wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 09:16 I definitely thought it was Tiffany and she did it due to being jealous. I understood when the truth came out, but it also made me sad for Justin's situation at home. I think this happens more than we actually realise.
For me, the time we spent understanding Justin’s home life after he was identified as the culprit made up for the fact that we had not heard of him beforehand. I think you are right about how often situations like this exist. Forms of acting out, like bullying, often have underlying issues. I was so pleased with Justin’s form of punishment and was glad we got to see his turnaround.

BTW, you have such a great smile in your profile picture. I can’t help but smile back whenever I see one of your posts. :greetings-waveyellow:
Aaah wow thanks so much, your compliment just made my day!!! I really appreciate it! May you have an amazing day.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I had no thought about this. I just followed the story with curiosity. However, i loved the twist and suspense the author introduced at this section of the story.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

I had it pegged as Mary Grace herself. She didn't want to stay in California, maybe not fitting in would be her ticket out. But when the notes continued to progress it became clear that was not the solution.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Christine Palmer wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 14:30 I had it pegged as Mary Grace herself. She didn't want to stay in California, maybe not fitting in would be her ticket out. But when the notes continued to progress it became clear that was not the solution.
That's a clever take on her motivation. :eusa-think: I don't think she would have called her brother the r word, though.
Rosa Parks
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

Like a lot of other people in this thread, I also thought it was Tiffany until they became more "threatening" in a way. I think it was a great way to keep the story fresh by having it be Justin instead.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I didn't think it was Tiffany though she was the closest suspect since none of the other classmates was paid extra attention to in the book but just like usual mystery, it is never who you except.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Akangbe Opeyemi wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 12:46 I didn't think it was Tiffany though she was the closest suspect since none of the other classmates was paid extra attention to in the book but just like usual mystery, it is never who you expect.
The author did surprise us in true whodunnit fashion! :)
Rosa Parks
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I also thought Tiffany wrote the note because she was jealous. Like you said, no one could have seen that it was Justin coming. His home situation also made me feel sorry for him.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

Although Justin wrote the note, Tiffany puts the note on Mary's table not because Justin threatened her but because of her jealousy of Mary and her friend, Penelope.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

I think everyone thought that tifanny was the culprit because no one knew of justin
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

Yes, I also initially believed that Tiffany was the one behind the mysterious notes. Her potential jealousy of Penelope and Mary Grace's friendship seemed like a plausible motive. Justin's introduction as the culprit, was a surprising twist that I didn't anticipate. It's always exciting when a story keeps us guessing and surprises us with unexpected revelations.
Rosandra Hosein

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”