Would you have told your parents about the bullying?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Re: Would you have told your parents about the bullying?

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

While I personally believe that we should tell our parents about our life experiences, I haven't been able to share about my own experience with bullying, mainly because I still have some shame attached to it
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

If I was in Mary Grace's situation, I would have also decided not to tell my parents. Firstly, Mary Grace is opportune to have grandparents she could share and even teachers that we're ready to help so I see no need to bother, and my parents that aren't anywhere close.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Vidhi Adhikari wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 23:50 While I personally believe that we should tell our parents about our life experiences, I haven't been able to share about my own experience with bullying, mainly because I still have some shame attached to it
It can take time to get over a painful experience, and bullying can take many forms. Here's to your freedom from the shame. :sunflower:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Akangbe Opeyemi wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 11:55 If I was in Mary Grace's situation, I would have also decided not to tell my parents. Firstly, Mary Grace is opportune to have grandparents she could share and even teachers that we're ready to help so I see no need to bother, and my parents that aren't anywhere close.
Your point is well taken. Hopefully, Mary Grace will have a chance to tell her parents all about the adventure now that the case is solved. I'm sure they will be proud of the latest addition to the Grandma Gang. (Maybe they will come up with a new name for their group. :) )
Rosa Parks
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I probably wouldn't have (which is actually sad). I got bullied as a junior student in secondary school and I thought that was the normal rite of passage I had to go through. But this shouldn't be so and it's great that there are books like this to teach kids to always open up about bullying.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

For me, she was wise for not telling them when the matter has not yet settled because that would put their mind in chaos, but after everything is settled, she can now tell them everything.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

I would tell my mother if I am being bullied because I have a strong relationship with her. I tell her almost anything. They might be able to help the bullying stop, so why not tell?
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

Probably not because the parents were too far away and that would only worry them and it's not like there's much they could do from where they were.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Ogunkoya Mayowa wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 05:48 For me, she was wise for not telling them when the matter has not yet settled because that would put their mind in chaos, but after everything is settled, she can now tell them everything.
Eva Nyaburi wrote: 13 Jun 2023, 06:45 Probably not because the parents were too far away and that would only worry them and it's not like there's much they could do from where they were.
It probably felt good for Mary Grace to write the note and let everything out, but I was relieved when she deleted it. Hopefully, she will share her story with her parents now that everything has been resolved. Who knows--they may even get to meet Justin.
Rosa Parks
Dennis Kiage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-kiage.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Dennis Kiage »

Of course! This is a psychological torture that unless they are psychos of some kind and support the bullying they will be concerned about. They'd be my go-to in such instances.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Virtually, I think I would have reacted the same way s me. Mary Grace was indeed mature in the sense. That intrigued me a lot
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Living in a Two-Faced Jungle by Michael A Powell

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I may have postponed telling my parents if I was already receiving help and thought I was handling the situation. However. I always confided in my parents as they were my security. So I think I would go to them if I had needed help and support.
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

Mary Grace's thoughtful consideration of whether to involve her parents in the bullying situation is truly admirable. Her decision to delete the intended message reflects a remarkable level of maturity, indicating her desire to handle the problem independently and not burden her parents.
Personally, if I were in Mary Grace's position, I believe I would have chosen to inform my parents, even if they were on a totally different continent. For me, it would be important to maintain open and honest communication with my parents, ensuring they are aware of the challenges I'm facing. I also don't want to create that false sense of reality that everything is fine when it's not.
Rosandra Hosein
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

I don't think so. Sometimes you just have to deal with certain situations yourself. Bullying can be devasting to those on the receiving end and even though parents mean well, they might make it worse.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno wrote: 23 Jun 2023, 07:57 I don't think so. Sometimes you just have to deal with certain situations yourself. Bullying can be devasting to those on the receiving end and even though parents mean well, they might make it worse.
There were definitely situations I didn’t tell my parents about. Perhaps I was too embarrassed, so I dealt with it on my own, or sometimes I confided in my sister or a close friend. Bullying seems to have become more intense now, and the consequences can be life-threatening. I’m glad Mary Grace had adults who helped her. All parties involved appeared to be better off after this incident.
Rosa Parks

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”