Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by John Owen »

I've just recently completed reading and reviewing this book. It's a really nice book that I would highly recommend. Most things about it were just awesome. Definitely deserves a perfect score.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Oooh, and on the cover, I think it's okay, but not perfect. The title definitely suits the book. I'd only included some illustrations to spice things up though.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Finally, about what I learned, we need to have empathy towards those with special needs. I also took a thing from Donny's positive outlook on life.
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

Everything about this book fascinated me. From the adventure at the Zoo, getting to know about the Grandma gang and their mystery unraveling experience, and how Mary Grace stood for and took care of her brother, Donny. It was an exciting experience generally. Lest I forget, the editing of the book was also top-notch.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

I found the book to be quite enjoyable and heartwarming. The book beautifully portrays themes of love, family, and inclusiveness, with Donny's character being a positive representation of a child with Down Syndrome. The inclusiveness was my favorite aspect, as it was portrayed with Donny, the friendship between Mary Grace and Penelope, who's from China, and also with the little slip of a gay couple Father Randall and his husband, Bill. I definitely recommend the book to anyone looking to read a children's book with worthwhile lessons.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This children’s book addressed several life circumstances well in a tone and setting that would benefit both children and adults. I found the cover a bit dated and initially passed on this book, but I read a great OBC review that convinced me to give it a try. I’m glad I did. I did not necessarily learn a lesson from this read, but it did reinforce the power of love and compassion to change a person’s outlook on life. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to those who enjoy feel-good stories like those on the Hallmark Channel.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

It was an inspiring read. Donny's character will motivate people living with Down syndrome out there that they can still live a life of happiness despite all setbacks. The writer's writing style was great. I disliked nothing in the book.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Tosin Le »

It was a motivating read. People with Down syndrome will be inspired by Donny's persona to believe that despite all obstacles, they may still lead happy lives. Great writing was done by the author. Nothing in the book I found repulsive.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Tosin Le »

It was inspiring to read. Donny's persona will encourage people with Down syndrome to think that they can still live joyful lives in spite of all their challenges. The author produced some excellent writing. I did not find anything offensive in the book.
Rowan The-First
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

I give this book a 4-star out of 5 rating. What I liked most are the lessons that the intended audience gets from reading it. Characters like Mary are good role models for how to behave maturally like how she handled the case of being bullied.
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
Davy Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davy-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Small Business, Big Stress: A Practical Guide to Managing the Chaos and Finding Success by Niki Reiche

Post by Davy Ifedigbo »

I thoroughly enjoyed the valuable teachings presented in this children's book. It sheds light on the challenges faced by individuals with Down syndrome, illustrating the difficulties they may encounter. This particular book possesses the potential to foster greater comprehension among readers, emphasizing that individuals with disabilities also possess emotions and desires. Furthermore, the book's cover is visually appealing. It is my sincere wish that more books with similar themes become available in the market, as I intend to share this one with my grandchildren for a meaningful reading experience.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

It is a light read, packed with many subtle moral lessons. From Mary Grace's care for Donny to everyone's way of handling the bullying incident, Grandma Cathey, the school, the parents, and Mary Grace herself dealt amazingly with it. My favourite aspect is Mary Grace's care for Donny and Donny's unending optimism. The author did an amazing job with her flawless writing style of implementing important morals subtly within the storyline for the children. I liked the cover and title, although I think it would have been better if it was shorter. I would definitely recommend this book to children for its amazing messages that they could learn a lot from. I rated this book 5 out of 5 stars.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

The book had so many lessons and topics addressed: Down syndrome, bullying, change of behavior, etc. Hard to believe this was all in a children's book.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

The character development was exceptional! Diversity and inclusion was well explored, and the book lacked grammatical flaws. The message was driven home! Without a thing to dislike, it deserved a 5 out of 5 rating.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Tosin-Le wrote: 22 May 2023, 03:31 It was inspiring to read. Donny's persona will encourage people with Down syndrome to think that they can still live joyful lives in spite of all their challenges. The author produced some excellent writing. I did not find anything offensive in the book.
It was pretty surprising the happy life Donny lived with his condition. He was jovial and managed to changed the bully's heart at the end. Very, very gratifying!

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”