Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the May 2023 Book of the month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genre is the book? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover and title? What was the greatest lesson you learned from the book? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on the Bookshelf.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The book is phenomenal. I love that this book has plenty of moral lessons such as kindness, love, friendship, respect, and equality. Besides, I enjoyed the author's exceptional writing style. It was reader-friendly, hence, this book deserves a very large readership. There was no negative aspect to this book. But it has content about bullying on the characters, which was settled properly by the school staff in the narrative. This children's book has a well-fitting cover and title. The greatest lesson I learned from this book was " disability doesn't define a person", like Donny, he was happy and loved by the people who surround him. To have a supportive and loving family is the greatest blessing, which Mary Grace and Donny have. For all the above reasons, I highly recommend this book to children of all ages. Even adults can learn moral lessons from this book. I gave a perfect five out of five stars for this book.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Crimeline Hollywood by Thomas Collins
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

I really enjoyed this book! Having a book focused on a little boy with Down syndrome is so empowering and brings light to people such as Donny and how they live such vibrant lives. This is truly a powerful and important children's book.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I loved this book! A children's book with amazing lessons for grownups too. Characters like Donny really inspire me to live to the best of my abilities every day.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

The book is amazing, adults, teenagers, and kids can enjoy it and I believe this is a perfect family book. The characters seem realistic, Mary Grace is not the perfect daughter, and I love that.
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

This book was fantastic! Being able to read a book about a little child with Down syndrome is incredibly inspiring and sheds insight on individuals like Donny and how they have such fulfilling lives. A tremendously potent and significant children's book
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

A truck load of lessons from just a children's book. I will surely rate a five out of five stars. The author did wonderfully well in writing the book.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I loved this children's book. One thing I think stood out to me was that although the book acknowledges that often when a kid is a bully, they are going through something themselves, in Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures this doesn't excuse the child's behaviour. They receive proper punishment and support to overcome the problem they are facing. I also liked the little mystery stories we are presented with throughout the book.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Once Upon A Time In Afghanistan
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

Such a delicate portrayal of a boy with Down syndrome who, against all odds, is happy, and enjoys every single day as the happiest of his life. I loved the way his family showed their love and care and made all the people around them like Donny the kid. There are lots of issues in the book regarding prejudices and bullying, but the main feeling when reading it is serenity. Simply lovely!
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Saima Rahman »

A beautiful book! Even though it is a children's book, it is filled with so many rich lessons. I loved it and learnt a lot from it. I really want children to read this book and get inspired to live a happy and wonderful life.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I really enjoyed reading this book, and I don't think that it is meant for kids alone. I love the moral lessons woven into this book. I got to learn about bullying and disability and how it doesn't define a person. There was nothing wrong with the cover and title of the book because they matched the story. I don't think there is anything I dislike about the book, and I would definitely recommend it.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

What I liked most about this book was the excellent qualities displayed by the different characters in the book. An example is the intelligence of Mary and the cheerfulness of Donny. However, I recommend the use of colorful pictures in the book.
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Thera reads »

I will rate this book 5 stars because of the good testimonies and reviews which I have heard and read about it.
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I loved the amazing lessons in the book for children. The life of a Down's child can be rough. This book might help more people to understand that just because someone has a handicap doesn't mean they don't have emotions and wants too. The cover is great. I wish there were more books like this one on the market. I am getting this to read with my grandkids.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

Books such as this one is a must read not only for kids but adults as well. There was a lot to learn from this book. I would give it a full-star rating.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”