Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Faith Stacy Leon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-stacy-leon.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Faith Stacy Leon »

This was an inspiring read for me. How the child with Down syndrome managed his condition was amazing. Children and parents will benefit from this book. The characterization of this book's plot was good too.
Faith Stacy Leon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-stacy-leon.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Faith Stacy Leon »

In as much as this book will benefit children more. It will also be a great read for anyone living with people that have Down Syndrome because the story of a child who lived well with this syndrome was shared in this book. This was an inspiring story for me.
Kathie Slief Turner
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Attunist
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathie-slief-turner.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kathie Slief Turner »

Having a grandson with a disability, I found this book a delight. Donny may have down's syndrome, but he has a loving family and a happy outlook. Bullying takes place with or without a disability and is one of the issues addressed by the book. There are numerous positive messages in a short children's book that make it worthy of reading no matter your age. I particularly appreciated how dealing with bullying was portrayed. I found it overall to be a delight to read and would give it 5 out of 5 stars. I can see why it was chosen BOTM
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: A third is darkness by Murray Bailey

Post by Nancy004 »

I really love this book ! The way it portrays Down Syndrome and the characters, like Mary Grace and Donny, is just amazing. The book is so well-written and captivating that I couldn't put it down. It's a heartwarming and meaningful story that anyone can enjoy.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

The book deserves nothing less than a perfect rating. I found that it showed different parts of people living with disabilities and showed that they are not solely defined by a disability. I also loved the characters in the book, especially Mary Grace who was indeed admirable.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

This book was so interesting. It can be read by adults, teenagers and even children. I learned a lot about Donny's condition from this book. I don't think there's anything I dislike about this book. I love the title and cover page very well because it matches the subject matter
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

This was really an interesting book. I learned a lot of things from it. The cover page suits the story. I think kids should also read this. They would be able to learn about bullying and the effects it has on their lives. Parents should read it to their kids.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I think this is a perfect book, especially for the younger audiences. There was nothing I disliked, totally nothing. I loved the humor in it, plus Donny's childish optimism, enthusiasm and energy; it was all so contagious! One thing I absolutely loved the most was how the teachers and the Grandma Gang handled that bullying case. They did it with such discretion, tact, and wisdom that none of the other students ever knew about the whole issue. This was great and of benefit to both the bullies and their victims. The Grandma Gang were wonderful; I also loved how they solved Lyndsey's burglary case in a similar manner, such that both the aggressors and the aggrieved got help. The writing style was simple and engaging, and this was a positive too, as it makes understanding easy especially for the younger target audience. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone I know. My rating of it was a perfect five out of five stars.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Storm+
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I very much enjoyed reading this book. It was well-written and had a great overall message. In fact, there was nothing I disliked about it. I loved the author's writing style and the "voices" of each character, especially those of Mary Grace and Donny. Although the book is geared more toward younger readers, I firmly believe there is something in it for everyone!
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The book reminds us the simplest things in life. It reminds us what should matter most: love, kindness, honesty, family, friendship, joy and happiness, etc. Most children in the World don't have a loving and caring family like these two kids have. On another note, and from an adult point of view, things are usually more complex in real-life than the way they are depicted in this book. But it is still a good book that I would recommend to teenagers and children.
Laura Helsel Goggin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-helsel-goggin.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Laura Helsel Goggin »

I loved this book and all the love and kindness that flows through the book. As a parent and a teacher, I was concerned about the parents leaving for two years. In real life that is very hard on children and can be traumatizing, but I cannot wait to read the next Grandma Gang story. When I get old, I hope I am a part of such a fun grandma group.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

In authoring the book, the author performed an excellent job. One children's book, yet it taught me a truckload of things.
WildThings
Currently Reading: Dopamine Detox
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildthings.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by WildThings »

Cristina Corui Mihailescu wrote: 02 May 2023, 12:00 Such a delicate portrayal of a boy with Down syndrome who, against all odds, is happy, and enjoys every single day as the happiest of his life. I loved the way his family showed their love and care and made all the people around them like Donny the kid. There are lots of issues in the book regarding prejudices and bullying, but the main feeling when reading it is serenity. Simply lovely!
That's such a nice way to put it. Reading your review, along with everyone else's, I now feel like giving this book a try. I definitely trust everyone's recommendation on this platform :)
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I loved a lot of things about this book, but most of all, I loved Donny's positive outlook on everything (he was my favorite character); and the book's mystery aspect, especially the way bullying was handled (the information, the careful investigation, and the discretion). I did not find anything to dislike. I gave it a perfect rating and included teachers and parents in my recommendation.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading: The Slippery Road.
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Melisa Jane wrote: 01 May 2023, 02:52 This is a discussion topic for the May 2023 Book of the month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genre is the book? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover and title? What was the greatest lesson you learned from the book? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on the Bookshelf.
This is my review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe, the May 2023 Book of the month. I truly enjoyed this delightful book, which follows the exciting journey of two adventurous souls exploring California's wonders. The characters are heartwarming, and their escapades make it a perfect mix of adventure and family dynamics. The writing style is engaging, immersing readers in the beautiful landscapes and heartwarming moments. It's a family adventure fiction with travel and coming-of-age themes intertwined smoothly. The cover and title suit the story well and evoke curiosity. The book teaches the value of embracing life's surprises and cherishing family bonds. I highly recommend it for its enchanting storytelling and feel-good vibes, leaving readers with a sense of wanderlust and appreciation for the joys of family adventures.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”