Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

At first, I wrote this off as a children's book, but after only a couple of chapters, I realized how deep the messages are. This is a book for teenagers sure, but parents of children with any type of disability, and parents of bullies (Jason), would also benefit from what this book can offer. It's an excellent choice for Book of the Month. It's 5/5 stars for me as it's easy to read, relatable, and teaches valuable lessons.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 759
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I loved this book because the author presented problems children face and then turned around and provided fair solutions. Due to this, the exceptional editing, and the morals and lessons taught in this book, I gave it a perfect score.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Justin Christensen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justin-christensen.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Justin Christensen »

I recently finished and I'm giving it a 5/5. There was a boy with down syndrome in my Jr. High school and Donny reminded me of that boy quite a bit - between that and the really well written (and genuinely INTERESTING) story I was hooked. Big fan of the way Pepe portrayed these kids overcoming adversity and showed Donny being happy in the situation he was in, even though it wasn't always what someone else might have been happy in.
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

I loved reading this book. The cover title and the image are appealing. Even though it is written for children, I found it helpful for adults too. I wish they shared more about the parents` experiences in Africa.
Vincent Nyabwari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vincent-nyabwari.html
Latest Review: The Disciples by D. Fuller Smith

Post by Vincent Nyabwari »

I've just gotten this book for review and I'm in the last pages. I can say it's a pretty amazing book for children. I think it has a great plot too.
Vincent Nyabwari
Currently Reading:

One of the things I like about this book so far is how the author highlights some of the themes. I also like the characterization of the book.
Vincent Nyabwari
Currently Reading:

SINGH JAY wrote: 02 May 2023, 00:38 This book was fantastic! Being able to read a book about a little child with Down syndrome is incredibly inspiring and sheds insight on individuals like Donny and how they have such fulfilling lives. A tremendously potent and significant children's book
I pretty much agree with you. This book is mazing, especially because, as you've said, it sheds the lights on children with special needs like Donny.
Romeo Aiyabei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romeo-aiyabei.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Romeo Aiyabei »

I love this book. It has a lot of great lessons in it! Donny is a really inspirational character. I think most of us would be better off if we tried to be a bit more positive like Donny. Not that you have to pretend everything is good all the times but the way he tries to find good in everything is something we should all aspire to do imo.
Romeo Aiyabei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romeo-aiyabei.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Romeo Aiyabei »

Nyam Bura wrote: 06 May 2023, 10:23 I loved reading this book. The cover title and the image are appealing. Even though it is written for children, I found it helpful for adults too. I wish they shared more about the parents` experiences in Africa.
I agree that I would love to hear more about the parent's experience, although I think that would be better for another book.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I rate it four out of five stars. The book was for children and it had conversation that an actual child would. But there was this one instance where Mary Grace talked impolitely and was rude to her parents. I did not like that. But I liked how she still cared for her brother and tried to not get angry at him, it shows she is a smart and capable big sister. I liked the writing style was easy and the story's theme was well executed. If kids read this book that encourage them to open up to their guardians, it will help them from being fearful if they're bullied, and also find trust and support in their guardians.
Davy Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davy-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Small Business, Big Stress: A Practical Guide to Managing the Chaos and Finding Success by Niki Reiche

Post by Davy Ifedigbo »

I think this is a fantastic family novel since everyone can enjoy it—adults, teenagers, and children. Mary Grace is not the ideal daughter, which I enjoy, and the characters seem realistic.
Eleni Antonopoulou
Currently Reading: Assassin's Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleni-antonopoulou.html
Latest Review: Story, Story by Alicia Marsland

Post by Eleni Antonopoulou »

It is an amazing book for young and senior readers alike! It tackles many serious matters, such as bullying and moving away from your parents, and sets a good example for its young audience! I also loved how senior family members, such as the grandparents (THE BELOVED GRANDMA GANG), are loved and included in this story! I believe there are many lessons to be learned from this book. My favorite part was definitely Donny! Such a kind and joyous young kid. I hope many more children with Down syndrome will identify with him!
When you can't beat the odds... Change the game. 🖤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
No mourners. No funerals. 💰 🗡️ 🎲 💣 🥞 🐺
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Eleni Antonopoulou
Currently Reading: Assassin's Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleni-antonopoulou.html
Latest Review: Story, Story by Alicia Marsland

Post by Eleni Antonopoulou »

An amazing book for young and senior readers alike! It tackles many serious matters, such as bullying and moving away from your parents, and sets a good example for its young audience. I believe there are many lessons to be learned from this book. My favorite part of it was definitely Donny! Such a kind and joyous little kid. I hope many more children with Down syndrome will identify with him! A perfect 5-star rating.
When you can't beat the odds... Change the game. 🖤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
No mourners. No funerals. 💰 🗡️ 🎲 💣 🥞 🐺
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

I found the book very interesting and the cover was quite enticing. I enjoyed how Donny always saw the good side of things. Also how the bully was dealt with in school. I did not like the way that the bullies were harassing Donny and his sister. This is a great book for children and I would definitely recommend it to parents, teachers and young children because it will help them to be aware of the challenges faced by Down syndrome children and also how to deal with a bully.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I loved it. I’m currently doing the review for this book, and I’m going to give it a perfect 5/5. I found the relationship between the two siblings so sweet and inspiring. And both writing style and editing work are amazing.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”