Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Mikespice Mike
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikespice-mike.html
Latest Review: Words of Encouragement by Robert Brantley

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Mikespice Mike »

This book is amazing and suitable for children around the age of 8 to 13. It teaches them the importance of unit as a family and also acceptance... Donny was accepted and love the way he was and at no point the family including his sister Mary wanted to loose or be away from him
Imperfection is beauty madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

I reviewed this book several months ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a light read which is perfect for young minds. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars for its many moral lessons like the importance of empathy and kindness towards people with disabilities, and because it was exceptionally well edited.

I did have an issue with it not having illustrations, which I believe would have made it more appealing to children. Regardless, I still recommended it to children from 5 -10 years old.
Jenipher Owino
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenipher-owino.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Jenipher Owino »

The book is so educational to young generation and parents too it does tackle a lot of important issues like love together and even importance of a family
Gillian Walter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-mogzi.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Gillian Walter »

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures was more than just a children's book. It taught me about the natural tendency of humans to think children like Donny are retards, which isn't true because these kids are intelligent in their own right. This information was what I liked most about this book.
Mehul P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehul-p.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Mehul P »

The book seems interesting. Especially since, my little brother has Down syndrome. The book seems relatable. Really looking forward to reading it.
Mehul P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehul-p.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Mehul P »

Quick Update.
I guess I'm going with this book right now. Not gonna wait for anytime. Just going to complete this book ASAP.
Cya :)
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

It deserves a full five-star rating.
It has a lot of lessons infused in it for all children
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

This book deserves a full rating, I particularly love the inclusion of down syndrome and bullying
Isha Suthar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isha-suthar.html
Latest Review: Bright Expanse by Daniel Zeigler

Post by Isha Suthar »

I've seen so many positive reviews about this book. It's uncanny. Well, I'm afraid that I haven't read the book and everyone else has. I'm soon going to read this book. :)
Isha Suthar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Isha Suthar »

Quick Update:
Please recommend me some C/T/M/H books.
Isha Suthar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Isha Suthar »

I've actually purchased a copy of this book. I'll start reading it next week, when I'm done with my current book. I hope it is, in fact, as good as it sounds and as I've seen the reviewers say it is. I'll post a review soon.
:)
PanwarP
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-panwarp.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by PanwarP »

I appreciated how important communication was throughout the novel. They allow Mary Grace time to digest her feelings and space to come to them before trying to persuade her when she is naturally troubled by her parent's decision to take the opportunity. I admired how hard Papa Steve worked to ensure the kids had a blast while attending an event! Additionally, the book's message was quite clear. Most people merit another opportunity.
Angie Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1082
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I thought this book was fantastic. The mystery aspect reminded me of the Nancy Drew stories that I enjoyed reading as a child. I loved the positive interactions between Mary Grace and her brother Donny and the moral lessons on acceptance, empathy, forgiveness, and redemption. Furthermore, the excellent writing style was easy to read.

The greatest lesson I learned from this book was redemption. Although Justin did a terrible thing to Mary Grace and Donny, they were able to forgive him for his mistake and he was able to atone for his errors while saving face. There is nothing that I didn’t like about this book however I do think that they would sell more books with a higher quality cover book cover art. Even the pencil art inside the book seemed better than the book cover in my humble opinion.
Otherwise, I would give it a 5-star rating and recommend it to friends and family.
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

It is an excellent book, well written and we'll developed. I'd give it a rating of 5stars
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

From the book, I learned that we should show kindness to others. Reading the book as an adult, I learned a lot from this book. I loved that the author talked about Down Syndrome in the book. I rate it five out of five.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”