How Can You Stand Up For Or Help Children With Special Needs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Vincent Nyabwari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vincent-nyabwari.html
Latest Review: The Disciples by D. Fuller Smith

How Can You Stand Up For Or Help Children With Special Needs?

Post by Vincent Nyabwari »

In the book, Mary Grace stood up for her brother against bullies and cared for him. What other ways can you help such people or childrens?
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

You can advocate for them by educating people about their particular needs. For example, I had a special needs student in my class as a teacher. Before the school year started, her mother called a meeting with school staff to educate us about her daughter's needs and warning signs for when she would need to go to the hospital. She printed out information to keep in our planning books for reference. Then I met with the remaining staff and taught them what I had learned. I also spoke to my students and taught them what they needed to know about their classmate. Educating people is beneficial so they know what to expect instead of judging or bullying.
Romeo Aiyabei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romeo-aiyabei.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Romeo Aiyabei »

You can help by taking the time to understand them and communicate with them. My younger sister is non-verbal so I've been trying to learn different ways to communicate with her throughout her life. Now we have ACC and that's helped a lot but for many years my family was in denial about her being non verbal and autistic and didn't really want to get her speech therapy or an ACC. They just wanted her to be "normal". During those years, our main way to communicate would be her taking my hand and showing me things or pointing to things. My family members didn't like that I would respond to her. They thought that by me "giving in" it was making her less likely to talk. But I knew that it is cruel to not try and communicate with my sister just because she didnt communicate the way the rest of us do! I don't know if she will ever talk but whether she does or doesn't I will still try and connect with her the best I can because she's still my sister and still worthy of love.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

My sister is a special needs person, and after our parents passed, I became her legal guardian. I have advocated for her many times to keep her off of psychotropic drugs. Her mental disability is physically caused, but in today's world, mind-altering psychotropic drugs are often pushed on people like my sister. She has been able to live a happy, drug-free life with people helping her in a loving environment which allows her to function within her community and be as productive as possible.

I used my passion for protecting children like my sister and brought legislation forward in my state that prevents schools from forcing parents to put their children on these drugs. It is called The Child Medication Safety Act.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Unyielding Destiny by Spiros Gratsias (author of Unyielding Destiny)

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

Children with special needs often require additional support, and their families may need help in various ways such as emotional support, transportation or respite care. You can offer support to these families through volunteering or donating to organizations that provide support services.
Bianca Morano
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

Autism is a spectrum that varies from person to person with such a condition. Others might need medicinal support while others may not. It's important to let them have a doctor's examination to know their specific needs. People who stand up for children with special needs can help in many ways. Being open-minded and patient is a must. Trying to communicate with them can be challenging most of all. I had a brother who has it and is also non-verbal. Since we can't bring him to a doctor, our family is doing the best it could to provide for his basic needs and better understand him. While researching for better ways in understanding their condition.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

One way that I can help or stand up for children with special needs is to teach them the importance of reaching out and honest communication during their troubles for a problem shared is a problem half-solved. Most of them find it difficult opening up to their peers and adults.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I used to help a club who was doing swimming lessons for children with severe autism. It was incredible to see how they were slowly creating a relationship with all of us.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I consider myself a mental health advocate. I have a heart for those people who lost their self mentally. When I see them roaming around hungry, I gave them food. I hope in the future, I can give more support for them.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

Romeo Aiyabei wrote: 06 May 2023, 22:41 You can help by taking the time to understand them and communicate with them. My younger sister is non-verbal so I've been trying to learn different ways to communicate with her throughout her life. Now we have ACC and that's helped a lot but for many years my family was in denial about her being non verbal and autistic and didn't really want to get her speech therapy or an ACC. They just wanted her to be "normal". During those years, our main way to communicate would be her taking my hand and showing me things or pointing to things. My family members didn't like that I would respond to her. They thought that by me "giving in" it was making her less likely to talk. But I knew that it is cruel to not try and communicate with my sister just because she didnt communicate the way the rest of us do! I don't know if she will ever talk but whether she does or doesn't I will still try and connect with her the best I can because she's still my sister and still worthy of love.
This is an awesome approach! Yes, I fully agree that it is very important to find a way to welcome people with special needs into the community, age regardless but children of course are the most vulnerable. I am lucky not to have any special needs instances in my personal space among humans but I am working on one of my rescue dogs who is somewhat special with autistic symptoms, like she notices the slightest change to her living environment and gets very unsettled - even a painting on the wall can place her into a barking trance. And we have overcome a lot already to make her more agreeable to changes in the gentlest way possible. It is very rewarding when these efforts bring results :) .
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

You can stand up for your children by inspiring to be strong for themselves, you can't always be there for them. therefore, inputting that spirit of Independence should be your number one priority as an adult.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

Friederic Schröder wrote: 11 May 2023, 15:48 You can stand up for your children by inspiring to be strong for themselves, you can't always be there for them. therefore, inputting that spirit of Independence should be your number one priority as an adult.
I completely agree with you, we can't always be there for them. They need to learn to stand for themselves when the time comes. Although, I had protected to such people in my childhood when my junior friends got bullied by my aged group people and I made sure that they do learn to be strong. Now, they are competent enough to stand for themselves.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 06 May 2023, 14:56 You can advocate for them by educating people about their particular needs. For example, I had a special needs student in my class as a teacher. Before the school year started, her mother called a meeting with school staff to educate us about her daughter's needs and warning signs for when she would need to go to the hospital. She printed out information to keep in our planning books for reference. Then I met with the remaining staff and taught them what I had learned. I also spoke to my students and taught them what they needed to know about their classmate. Educating people is beneficial so they know what to expect instead of judging or bullying.
You did the best thing! Awareness is the first step to keep bullying away, especially when it comes to special needs children.
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

One way I do know to help them is not to treat them differently from other kids. And also educate both adults and children on how to help them. By creating an awareness we protect them from both themselves and others.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

The best way is to educate all children to let them know bullying is a bad habit that must not be found among them. If it's in the school, a rule must be make that any children find bullying will be expelled. By this children will know it's a serious matter.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”