How Can You Stand Up For Or Help Children With Special Needs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Re: How Can You Stand Up For Or Help Children With Special Needs?

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I think it is advisable to educate people about them and teach other people their needs. I have an aunt and an uncle who are deaf and dumb. I know how it is hard for them and us, especially during trying to communicate. But I came to understand that they are humans like me and just need extra attention and care from people.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Unleash the Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

By raising awareness and promoting kindness, we can encourage their inclusion in activities rather than leaving them out.
Dennis Kiage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-kiage.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Dennis Kiage »

Simple acts of kindness will go a long way. Helping push their wheelchair or helping out with their homework, among other things will be helpful to them.
Dennis Kiage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-kiage.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Dennis Kiage »

Also, you can stand for them when they're being harassed, bullied, or are in trouble. This will ensure they're always safe and comfortable and make life a whole lot easier for them.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

I remembered when I befriended a kid because he had no friends in school. After sometime weeks of friendship, he built his self-confidence and was able to relate to other of our classmatessssss. That was the way i helped him
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

Supporting people or children with special needs can take various forms. Here are some ways we can help:

1. Inclusion and Acceptance: Foster an inclusive and accepting environment where individuals with special needs are valued for their unique abilities. Encourage others to treat them with respect and kindness.

2. Education and Awareness: Educate yourself and others about different disabilities and special needs to foster understanding and empathy. Promote awareness campaigns to challenge stereotypes and misconceptions.

3. Advocacy: Advocate for the rights and needs of individuals with special needs. Support organizations and initiatives that work towards creating inclusive policies, equal opportunities, and accessible environments.

4. Friendship and Support: Be a friend and provide social support to individuals with special needs. Include them in social activities, listen to their experiences, and offer a helping hand when needed.

5. Sensitivity and Patience: Be patient and understanding when interacting with individuals with special needs. Take the time to communicate effectively, adapting to their specific needs and preferences.

6. Volunteer or Donate: Offer your time, skills, or resources to organizations that support individuals with special needs. Volunteer at schools, community centers, or support groups that provide services and programs tailored to their needs.

7. Encourage Independence and Self-Advocacy: Foster independence by empowering individuals with special needs to make choices and decisions to the best of their abilities. Encourage self-advocacy skills so that they can express their needs and desires.

8. Assistive Technology and Accommodations: Support the use of assistive technology and accommodations that can enhance the quality of life and enable individuals with special needs to participate fully in various activities.

9. Parental and Family Support: Extend support to parents and families of individuals with special needs. Offer assistance, empathy, and a listening ear. Understand that caring for someone with special needs can be challenging, and your support can make a significant difference.

Remember, it's essential to approach each person as an individual and recognize that their needs and abilities may vary. By promoting inclusion, understanding, and support, we can create a more inclusive and compassionate society for individuals with special needs.
Rosandra Hosein
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I think by educating all children from a very early age that bullying is a bad thing. The school should punish offenders seriously. Bulling should be aboided and parents should endeavour that their kids aren't bullying anyone.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

I feel that the only way is education. Lots of people fail to understand what is going on with people with special needs. Unfortunately humans are still the same. What they do not understand threatens them. If people got to know more about various disabilities and how to take care of those afflicted it would go a long way.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Ava Marie Williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ava-marie-williams.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Ava Marie Williams »

You know what's truly inspiring? Mary Grace from the book, standing up against bullies for her brother. 🙌👊 That kind of courage and care is what we need more of in this world!

If you ever come across someone who's facing bullying, there are plenty of ways you can lend a helping hand. First and foremost, show your support and let them know you're there for them. Sometimes, a listening ear and a shoulder to lean on can make all the difference. 💪❤️

It's also important to educate ourselves and others about bullying. Spread awareness about its impact and let people know that bullying is never okay. Together, we can create a culture of kindness and inclusion. 🌍💙
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: A third is darkness by Murray Bailey

Post by Nancy004 »

Taking care of children with special needs not only involves providing support to the children themselves but also requires educating the people around them. It is important to raise awareness and promote understanding about different disabilities. By educating parents, caregivers, teachers, and community members, we can create an inclusive environment that embraces diversity and offers the necessary support and opportunities for children with special needs to thrive and reach their full potential.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

I think it would be greatly helpful to educate children/adults on different conditions, such as Donny's, to normalize it and help them understand why those people are the way they are and that there's nothing "wrong" with it.
Helen Akoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

One can stand up for those being bullied by not participating in it. If you realize that one is being bullied, you should let the perpetrators know that such a behavior is not okay, even if it brings friction between you and them. Participating in it or ignoring just fuels it.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I think it would be nice if people learn to teach their children that regardless of race, gender or disabilities, all humans are equal. If more people are raised to be nicer to others in society, people with disabilities will suffer lesser discrimination and would be better accepted as members of the society.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1911
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I can help people or children having various difficulties such as physical emotional, or learning disability by providing them with my guidance and inspiration. I can set an example for them through my good deeds and actions. Also, I can share with them the facilities and provisions I avail so that they are recognized as privileged people or children in society.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

The best help to give is to sensitize their immediate social circle. These children may not appear like the others, but they have their needs too in society and they should not be suppressed. They deserve to be well treated just like the others.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”