Share your Zoo or animal story

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Share your Zoo or animal story

Post by Kavita Shah »

Eleni Antonopoulou wrote: โ†‘07 May 2023, 14:14 I always loved the zoo enclosures where animals like lemurs get to walk alongside the visitors! They never miss the chance to get up on your shoulder for a great photo and steal whatever banana or biscuit you're holding!
๐Ÿ˜‚ The lemurs feel like they know their way everyday, free food and selfies. I can imagine Mauro, a lemur, from the Rio movie. Gold, snacks, and pictures, simply perfect!
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Carlos Mata Saenz wrote: โ†‘07 May 2023, 18:47 When I was young, I used to visit my grandparents with my sister. Every time, my grandad took us to a park where there were squirrels who would come to eat from our hands. It was all so new for me (no squirrels were I used to live) and I loved it every single time!
I've heard about feeding Birds, ducks, deer, but never squirrels. Aren't they afraid? Wow, that must have felt special, they trust you enough to give them food and not hurt them. ๐Ÿฟ
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Shally Z wrote: โ†‘08 May 2023, 06:30 A few years ago, while I was visiting Miyajima Island in Japan, I bought an ice cream. Little did I know, there was a deer a few metres behind me and we made eye contact. It chased me all around the beach trying to get a lick. Luckily it wasn't very aggressive but I just wanted to have my ice cream in peace! I still have the blurry pictures on my phone :lol2:
Hahahaha๐Ÿคฃ, that must have been a scary chase, I mean imagine a chase between Swen and Olaf over a carrot(before Olaf knew him). I really think it was the ice cream's smell that lured the deer, delicious.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

Kavita Shah wrote: โ†‘11 May 2023, 22:11
Carlos Mata Saenz wrote: โ†‘07 May 2023, 18:47 When I was young, I used to visit my grandparents with my sister. Every time, my grandad took us to a park where there were squirrels who would come to eat from our hands. It was all so new for me (no squirrels were I used to live) and I loved it every single time!
I've heard about feeding Birds, ducks, deer, but never squirrels. Aren't they afraid? Wow, that must have felt special, they trust you enough to give them food and not hurt them. ๐Ÿฟ
After a couple of attempts, they trust you and even climb up your leg to get the food from your hand!
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I worked in a zoological garden for some time. Sadly most of the animals have a tragic past behind them: they are never caught in the wild, at least in Europe, but have been saved from unpleasant situations (e.g., one of the tigers belonged to a Mafia boss, and they had taken away all of his claws. He was pretty depressed). Animals are amazing, though! You could not imagine how much personality penguins have. My favourite was definitely an old female orangutan, she always was soooo happy to see visitors: I loved her so much!
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

Kavita Shah wrote: โ†‘11 May 2023, 22:17
Shally Z wrote: โ†‘08 May 2023, 06:30 A few years ago, while I was visiting Miyajima Island in Japan, I bought an ice cream. Little did I know, there was a deer a few metres behind me and we made eye contact. It chased me all around the beach trying to get a lick. Luckily it wasn't very aggressive but I just wanted to have my ice cream in peace! I still have the blurry pictures on my phone :lol2:
Hahahaha๐Ÿคฃ, that must have been a scary chase, I mean imagine a chase between Swen and Olaf over a carrot(before Olaf knew him). I really think it was the ice cream's smell that lured the deer, delicious.
Haha that's exactly right. I'm not particularly tall so the deer was only a little shorter than me but it definitely made me work for my icecream :)
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Shally Z wrote: โ†‘13 May 2023, 01:02
Haha that's exactly right. I'm not particularly tall so the deer was only a little shorter than me but it definitely made me work for my icecream :)
That's makes it The Most Memorable Ice cream that you've eaten because a deer made you run for it. Could I get a final edition to the earlier episode, how did you and the deer end the chase?
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

marta baglioni wrote: โ†‘12 May 2023, 12:59 I worked in a zoological garden for some time. Sadly most of the animals have a tragic past behind them: they are never caught in the wild, at least in Europe, but have been saved from unpleasant situations (e.g., one of the tigers belonged to a Mafia boss, and they had taken away all of his claws. He was pretty depressed). Animals are amazing, though! You could not imagine how much personality penguins have. My favourite was definitely an old female orangutan, she always was soooo happy to see visitors: I loved her so much!
The Zoological garden did a good job rescuing the animals. Animals make the day special (only if you're not in a dangerous situation with them) I've seen some videos of chimpanzee laughing at a magic trick, or looking and smiling at the visitors, like they are so expressive.
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

Kavita Shah wrote: โ†‘13 May 2023, 01:09
Shally Z wrote: โ†‘13 May 2023, 01:02
That's makes it The Most Memorable Ice cream that you've eaten because a deer made you run for it. Could I get a final edition to the earlier episode, how did you and the deer end the chase?
Haha it most definitely was! Well, to wrap up a good story, I ended up running into a crowd of people and street stalls. I was so embarrassed because I think people noticed and were staring at me as I ran ๐Ÿ˜…

Moral of the story: watch out for wild (but gentle) deer in Miyajima. The deer at Nara can be more aggressive though...๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐ŸฆŒ
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's a relief to hear. Power in numbers. ๐Ÿ‘Š
Thank you for sharing this story @Shally Z! It is amazing, like deer o deer, they like Ice cream ๐Ÿงand eat lemons too๐Ÿ‹.
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

I remembered my zoo experience at a university animal park when I was about 5 years old. Although I was still a little boy, seeing animals like lions, cheetahs, tortoises, and giraffes was quite amazing, and the memory stayed still lingers in my head.
Shally Z

Post by Shally Z »

Kavita Shah wrote: โ†‘15 May 2023, 02:31 That's a relief to hear. Power in numbers. ๐Ÿ‘Š
Thank you for sharing this story @Shally Z! It is amazing, like deer o deer, they like Ice cream ๐Ÿงand eat lemons too๐Ÿ‹.
Hahah thanks for asking about it! I did not realise that deer have such strange diets! Lemons and ice cream?! I wonder what else they might eat...
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I have never been in a zoo but my first encounter in the wild was at the Old Oyo National park. I saw animals like the Kob, Nile crocodile, duiker, pangolin, Galago and a few interesting animals. It was really fun.
Rowan The-First
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

The thing that really suprised me the first time I visited the zoo were the crocodiles, there is a way they pose when their mouths are open, exposing their teeth but someone may think that they are just man-made statues
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Anil G wrote: โ†‘08 May 2023, 11:46 When I was a kid, I and my family went to a zoo, that was the first and till now the last time I went to the zoo. There I saw a big Snake in yellow and black shades. Alone in a cage, deep down to the ground where we all can see from above only. I was curious why that snake was so down and alone, I thought it was because of humans' safety. What do you all think?
I've only seem snakes on Discovery channel and in the Harry potter movie. Protection/Safety purpose or maybe something reason maybe.
I once read a book where poisonous snakes were kept as pets, with their venoms still intact, and made to fight other snakes or punish people their owners didn't like. Kind of terrible but it was just a part of the big story.

Return to โ€œDiscuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepeโ€