Have You Ever Been Bullied?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Have You Ever Been Bullied?

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Luckily for me, I have never been bullied. This may also be due to the fact that in the schools I went to, people were so busy with academics that it would have been amazing if they actually had time to bully others. We also had other chores such as taking care of the school gardens and attending mass or assembly almost daily which meant that all our time was accounted for.
MsChet Cherry
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

My first school as a grade one pupil had a section for deaf and dumb pupils as well.
They would always cross to our side and bully everyone that is not their kind.
I was quickly removed from the school after my persistent complaints to my parents.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

It happened to me once in high school. I was from the countryside, and I had to live in a dorm. I had the best academics in my class and I had a scholarship, and I guess for one of my colleagues, who came from a rich family and was doing okay in school, it felt like she could act as a benevolent figure. One day, while I was surrounded by my colleagues, she came to me with a food package, saying that I shouldn't watch the other kids eating and that she did an admirable thing by buying it for me. At that moment, everyone was looking in that direction. The only thing I could do was look at her in confusion because we had bearly spoken in the years that we were colleagues, and secondly, I could see in her eyes and her expression that she had done that only to make fun of me. I wanted to say some harsh words to her, but instead, I completely ignored her act and her existence from that moment on, and she never approached me again. No one laughed at what she did. I never did something to her or said a bad word to her, so I still don't understand what her true motivation was for doing something like that. But I still remember the feelings of emptiness, pain, and humiliation that she provoked in me with that gesture and those words.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I've never been bullied anywhere, especially in school, and I have my height to thank for that. I was tall, so no kids dared to pick up on me. But I was teased here and there, and I learnt to tease back.
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

When I was still in elementary school I was bullied because I was overweight and could not run. I am happy I have overgrown that now and I have a perfect body. I have also forgiven those who bullied me.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

I have never been bullied, but I have seen others get bullied in different ways, including away from school, and have seen how it impacts them negatively, especially with their self-esteem. It is always a sad thing to see.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

Bullying was pretty common place growing up in the 90s. Mostly, nothing was done until it turned physical. The older boy who took the verbal teasing further pushed the snow fort over onto me ended up regretting it. My mother was on him like white on rice bahahaha. Looking back I can laugh because I had someone to stand up for me. Thankfully it has gone to more zero tolerance policies these days.
Kirsti Friesen
Currently Reading: A wrinkle in time
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsti-friesen.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Kirsti Friesen »

I have been bullied. I was bullied for sticking up for a new girl at school. The girl was mean and had called me some vulgar names and pushed me over a bench. It was awful. I never did tell my parents about it.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald by K.L. Huntley
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

i think most people have experienced some form of bullying in their lives even if it is in the form of peer pressure to make you feel like you have to behave or dress in a particular way. its hard being a kid and wanting to fit in with other kids when everyone is so different.
Joy Enny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-enny.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Joy Enny »

School kids will often attempt to bully others inorder to find the weak ones they can prey on. However, I hate injustice and would often go to any length, even involving my teachers to right any wrong done to me.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Inspirational Love by Vernon John Sinnott

Post by Jane Honda »

Yeah I had the encounter on my first day in a new school. I was bullied because of my size then. The truth is you can't tell anyone because of the fear the bullies instill in you. It could be painful.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

The amount of stories that I have are spread far and wide, but the last one I can remember is from grade school where an entire classroom was laughing at me when I was trying to participate in a debate for a school project. In the end, the teacher came over to check on me and say that he was proud of me for sticking through and continuing to defend my project beliefs.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I remember an experience when I was small. There is this family that we're our neighbors so I usually go to their place and their kids come to my place. Due to their mom having issues with my mom, the kids were asked not to relate with me anymore. All of a sudden people I thought were friends started talking down on me and chasing me away.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Once Upon A Time In Afghanistan
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

I am almost 60 but the first time I have been bullied was on Facebook, by an unknown person in a group. I felt miserable, even though it didn't really matter, not being a person I know. I see bullying every day, at school, and try to handle it wisely. I cannot say I succeeded all the time.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 314
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Is Truth Stranger Than Fiction? You Decide . . . by Jody B. Miller

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I have been bullied—both in school and at home. The latter wasn't so bad and was all in good fun as a result of me being the youngest among my siblings, but my parents were always at hand to defend me. The former, on the other hand, whew! The sad part was that I thought it was normal and a rite of passage for being in a boarding school. It's great bullying is now more openly talked about and kids are being taught to always speak up.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”