Have You Ever Been Bullied?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Fred Newman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fred-newman.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Have You Ever Been Bullied?

Post by Fred Newman »

I haven't been bullied and am always grateful for that. But I have heard from someone who has been buillied it wasn't good. But am glad he has healed.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

I have never been a victim of bullying. I believe my disinterest in socializing played a role in this. Whether I was at school, college, or work, I focused on my tasks, had a group of friends I could confide in, and felt content with my safety and independence.
AI Wordsmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ai-wordsmith.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by AI Wordsmith »

Unfortunately, I have. It was a terrible experience. It happened while I was young, among some of the people I called my friends. Looking back, I guess they weren't the right crowd.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I haven't been bullied, but we should all pay attention to how we behave with the people around us, be they colleagues, friends, relatives, or mere acquaintances. One of my guiding principles is: Treat others the way you would be liked to be treated.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading: The Shanghai Circle
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Olga Markova wrote: 15 May 2023, 13:56 I only experienced once what could be called bullying albeit with some inflamed imagination - when at school, a few classmates were teasing me for never attending PE classes because I was exempt on medical grounds and otherwise I was a top star in all subjects. So they sort of found a weak point. My mum was teaching chemistry to our class so I had some extra weight to bear with my mum treating me most strictly in her class, and because of this complex relationship of being a teacher's daughter generally, I was expected to behave at all times. The taunts did not really upset me so I ignored them but once our young and absolutely stunning arts teacher overheard it. She went straight on to them and said that if they did not stop it, at the next chemistry lesson my mum would turn them into copper sulfate crystals forever, and she would personally see to that they never become human again! I chuckled - those crystals were a part of the practical chemistry and we were all making them and even had an exhibition - amazing looking blue figurines of various shapes! The taunts stopped instantly! :)
It sounds like you had a unique experience with some teasing during school. Your ability to handle the situation calmly and with humor is commendable. The intervention of your arts teacher was both entertaining and effective in putting an end to the taunts. It's fascinating how chemistry played a role in diffusing the situation. Thanks for sharing this amusing anecdote!
TebogoM
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-baloyi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by TebogoM »

I don't like talking about it but yes I have been bullied at the age of 14 and 15 I was sold by a class mate from primary when we got to high school and told the other guy that I carry cash for lunch but all my bullies where older than so they didn't like me because I was cool than them I could get any girl and I was a hustler.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by RJ Reviews »

I didn't get bullied in school, fortunately, mostly because I was known for my outspoken attitude. But I did get bullied online while sharing my thoughts. There was a time when I was feeling down and posted in Facebook. Though most were empathetic, one guy started criticizing me for grammar and punctuation. And he wouldn't stop even when I said that I was in no condition to mind grammar and punctuation. And tbh, the grammatical error he pointed out wasn't even an actual error! That made me so self-conscious that I hesitate to post any thoughts online till date.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

I've been bullied, both physically and online. Happens to the best of us. I feel like we should just be better people essentially.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Dalia Chf »

Sadly I have. When I was little I was the only foreign girl in the whole school, and the only non-Christian one. That was pretty difficult, but I tried to surround myself with the kind of people that were kind and ignore the bullies, and thankfully it worked for me!
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

Many kids experience bullying for the first time in school and it's really sad that after all the efforts and education, people still want to bully people. I was bullied so much as a child that I was forced to stand up for myself and defend myself. Since then, I've never let a bully come at me. I always let them know from the onset that I do not tolerate bullying. Not on me and not on anyone else.
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

Throughout my experience in school, I was never been bullied. Bullying was strictly prohibited in the schools I attended. However, I recall when a friend was bullied by being forced to give his food.
Angie Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I was bullied in junior high school by a foul-mouthed boy who thought it was funny to say sexually inappropriate things to me in class. Unfortunately, I was the shy new girl in town and did not feel confident speaking up. I also felt like my mother had too much going on at home (a new divorcee who was struggling), and I could not confide in her. Lucky for me, I ignored him, and he eventually stopped. Needless to say, I hate bullies!
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: “TREMAINE” by James Harold Kelly
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I was glad that Justin was finally helped. I have been bullied but not in the school environment. I had a part-time job once. I was bullied but at the time I didn't know it and only found out later. It was both sexual and verbal and they are moments I don't like. I wish to talk about them someday.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

I think that I found the antidote to bullying early, so I was never bullied.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I have never been bullied, but my grandson, who is out of school now, confessed to being bullied all through school. He said that they pushed him into lockers, stole his backpack, knocked books out of his arms, etc. The pain that I saw on his face was really heartbreaking. I wish that he had told someone while in school about what was happening.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”