Have You Ever Been Bullied?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ava Marie Williams
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ava-marie-williams.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Have You Ever Been Bullied?

Post by Ava Marie Williams »

I was once bullied by an uncle of mine. I bullied by my mate. I had an uncle that liked to say thing about a person that would hurt them just to make himself feel good. Even if what he is saying is an absolute lie. And he did lie about me to people more than once.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

Not at all. Bully comes when you see and put yourself low. Even with nothing, standing up for myself has helped a lot.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

My first time being bullied was in middle school. Eventually, the bully was suspended for other reasons and then had to move, so I didn't see him for many years. In my senior year in high school, I ran into him again, and he apologized. He was very sincere and even helped me find a part-time job since I was struggling.
Helen Akoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

Of course I have experienced bullying in form of body shaming. It's worst. It almost ruined my self-esteem when I was still a teenager. Now that I am grown, I can at least stand up for myself, and I know what to filter in.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

Luckily, I have never been bullied. However, I have heard experiences of bullying from others around me. One common aspect which bullies tend to prey on is the inability of the person being bullied to defend himself.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

Yes, I have. As a little child in school I was bullied by a classmate who was much bigger than the rest of us in class. She would take my lunch pack and snacks and best me up if I tried to resist. I was too afraid to report because she was mean, however, the day I summoned the courage to report was the same day the bullying stopped.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The entire time I was in school! I wasn’t just like everyone else and that made me a target.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

Bully can take different forms it doesn't has to be a physical action. Way back in the boarding house I encountered different forms of bully from senior colleague. It was difficult to let go but then I was glad I finally healed.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

Yes, I was once bullied while in school. It was a traumatizing experience. These kids would always take my good and embarrass me in front of the class. But one day, I said it was enough, and I stood up to them. That was the last day they ever tried to bully me.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

My huge birthmark on my neck made other kids pick on me easily. I was lucky my mum was a teacher at my school and therefore got spared extensive ridicule in school. But the kids at home were so unkind. I learned to live with it.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I have been bullied alot, especially during my childhood. A particular guy in my class made coming to school scary because he always piss me off and I can't fight him because he was far way bigger than me.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I was never bullied but my 21-year-old grandson is just now telling us that he was bullied in high school. He was pushed into lockers, his books taken from him and thrown on the floor. He also said that his food was taken from him at lunch and thrown at him. We never knew this because he never said a word.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

John Owen wrote: 15 May 2023, 01:21 I literally hated Justin for how he bullied Mary Grace and harassed Donny, even though I understand why he was like that. I also loved how Miss Root and the rest handled the matter, which eventually helped reform him.
Are there cases you've been bullied? I think bullying doesn't only happen in schools alone but every day. It is something we go through without even knowing. I'd love to hear your experiences with being bullied. Mine is in the comments.

Bullying has become the norm in our today's society. It could be as little as the 'normal' trolling and bantering on the Internet. And yes, I've been bullied a number of times based on physical appearance and other stuff, but I grew thick skin against such and I don't let it get to my mind or heart, just brush it off and use it as something to motivate me and push me forwards instead of demoralizing me and pulling me back.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Amelia-Lily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-lily.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Amelia-Lily »

I have never been bullied. Although I grew up being very shy and introverted, I used to read a lot of books and reading about bullying made me conclude I would never allow myself to be bullied or watch someone else be bullied in my presence. And I kept my word to myself.
Catherine Radford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Catherine Radford »

Depends what is defined as bullying? Have I been called names by people, yes, who hasn’t? Have I been an ongoing target by a bully? No.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”