How Can Bullying Be Addressed?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Re: How Can Bullying Be Addressed?

Post by Storm+ »

I liked how the administration at Mary Grace's school handled the bullying. While they did approach the situation with empathy and sympathy for all parties involved, including the bullies, they also dealt with the situation harshly and seriously. For the elementary age group, I felt they dealt with bullying very well.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Bullying is never funny. As many victims go on to commit suicide, it can be extremely risky for the victim. Therefore, my recommendation is to arm the victims, who are most susceptible. Boost your students' self-assurance in who they are as persons. Encourage them to defend themselves. Make sure kids are aware of whom to contact in case they are bullied.
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Thera reads »

Bullies are weak. The moment you stand up against them, you win the battle. After that, the bullies should go into full counseling.
Susan Sadiq
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-sadiq.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Susan Sadiq »

I feel that bullies should always be punished. They should also get to see how badly their bullying affects the other party. Parents should be active in their children's life and teach them against such things.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Chaos Rising by P.D. Blackwell

Post by Aditii Mehta »

I think the best way to address bullying is by counselling and talking to the bullies. Punishment will only increase the chances of them getting angrier and it never solves any conflict.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

Bullies need to be stopped in their tracks, either by replying to them straight away (in a polite manner) or by remaining silent.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I think it is important to understand the driver for why the person is bullying in the first place, as they did in the story. This often will determine what the best course of action is, and it may be providing the bully with some help they either couldn't or didn't know how to ask for.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Counseling and trying to understand what is causing the bully to behave that way is crucial because only then the root cause of the issue will be addressed. Many times the bullies themselves are going through something traumatic or are in a situation where they have no control. They vent out by taking it out on their victims and trying to gain some of that control back.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

There are a number of ways that bullying can be addressed. One way is to educate both bullies and their victims about the negative effects of bullying and the importance of treating others with respect. Schools can implement anti-bullying policies and programs to help reduce the incidence of bullying. Parents can also play a role by teaching their children to treat others with kindness and respect, and by being alert to signs that their child may be either a victim or a perpetrator of bullying. In addition, communities can work together to create a culture that rejects bullying and encourages empathy and inclusion.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Mikespice Mike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikespice-mike.html
Latest Review: Words of Encouragement by Robert Brantley

Post by Mikespice Mike »

But makings a daily awareness of the bad effects and what bullying can course to individuals
Imperfection is beauty madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous.
Melody Otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melody-otieno.html
Latest Review: Ain’t She Pretty by Barry J Kughn

Post by Melody Otieno »

Calling on awareness and education to everyone about effects of bullying and it's consequences
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Bullying should be addressed by Anonymous reporting, like it was done in the book, that's a method, another one is to put in place severe punishments and allow more ideas to allow the victims speak up.
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

John Owen wrote: 15 May 2023, 01:41 But before that, the fight against bullying starts with you as a person. You could start by standing up to them and refusing to be intimidated. Then, take it up with the relevant authorities.
This is the most effective approach for me. Bullies only keep bullying a person who lets them. Yes, they may be bigger or even stronger but I always tell my kids, the first step is to look them in the eyes and refuse to be bullied. If you get hit, no matter how hard, hit back, and the bully will be shocked. It always works. I would love to read about other suggestions too.
Melody Otieno
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melody-otieno.html
Latest Review: Ain’t She Pretty by Barry J Kughn

Post by Melody Otieno »

It should be taught in school In order for childrens to know the negatives effects of bullying while young. Creating awareness can help alot
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

I agree that counselling and punishing the bully is a good way of dealing with bullies. I think it's also important to include the parents of the bully to know their stand on the act of bullying.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”