How Can Bullying Be Addressed?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

How Can Bullying Be Addressed?

Post by John Owen »

In an earlier post, I said I loved how the teachers in New Elementary handles the case of bullying. I honestly think that counseling the bullies against bullying, and giving them a punishment can help them sew how bad it is. What ways do you think bullying should be handled? My suggestions are in the comments.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

First, I'd take the method Miss Root and the rest of the team took. First would be to invite the parents or anyone in position to talk to the bullies. If it's outside school, you could talk to a sibling or parents, or if in the office, the bullies friend or the HR.
After that, you'll tell the bullies why bullying is bad. After that, they could be given a penalty coupled with counselling.
If they were to change, they will.
Last edited by John Owen on 15 May 2023, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

But before that, the fight against bullying starts with you as a person. You could start by standing up to them and refusing to be intimidated. Then, take it up with the relevant authorities.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I think there is no universal pill to take to address bullying - it depends on each case. In the lightest and least harmful cases it may be best ignored as the whole thrill would be lost if there is no reaction. In other, worse, cases a response would be needed, and the strength of response again depends on the gravity - from a teacher's gentle playful "carrot-and-stick" to social services intervention and maybe even police. But in all cases, I think it is important to keep a sharp eye on the bullying and take appropriate action, especially when a child is a victim.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I believe that ignoring the bully is the best way to deal with him/her at first because he/she is likely craving attention. Then, one should not stay silent when bullied but talk to more people and stand up to the bully with courage and strength.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

It's important to nip the actions of bullies in the bid, either by responding right away (in a civil manner) or by not giving them a reaction at all.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I believed the methods used in this book was perfect to address bullying. It's not enough to only punish the bully, most of the time that only makes them to want revenge. The must received counseling and understanding on how bad bullying is.
Rowan The-First
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

Some bully others because they are also bullied so I believe before deciding the appropriate punishment for a bully, we must first know the kind of life he is living and we decide the punishment thereafter.
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

The first step to resolving bullying is removing fear. I strongly because that people are continuously bullied because they are afraid to speak up about the situation. If children, especially, could tell their parents about bullied and their parents take actual active steps in ensuring that the bullying ends, then this would be one way.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I feel really old when I say that when I was going to school, it really wasn't that big of a problem. I don't know how to fix it, but I do know that it has to start somewhere. Maybe these kids are being bullied at home. How do you stop that?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

In my opinion, the method Miss Root and the rest of the team took seems the most productive ay of handling it. That being said, I cannot see a scenario of me ever telling my bully why bullying is wrong, at least not without protection.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this very important matter. Addressing bullying is crucial and it takes a community effort.

Your suggestion about counseling the bullies is a great one. It is essential to help them understand the impact of their actions and why they are harmful. Punishment can also be effective but it should be used carefully. The main goal should be to teach and reform, rather than just punish.

Here are a few other strategies that can be used to address bullying:

1. Education: Schools should educate all students about what constitutes bullying, why it is unacceptable, and what the consequences will be for those who engage in such behavior.

2. Zero Tolerance Policy: Implementing a zero tolerance policy can help set a clear standard of what is not acceptable in the school environment. However, this should be complemented with other strategies to be effective.

3. Bystander Intervention Training: It's also important to empower bystanders to intervene when they see bullying happening. This can often be an effective deterrent.

4. Support for Victims: Provide counseling and support for the victims of bullying. This can help them recover from the experience and build resilience.

5. Promote Positive Behaviors: Encourage positive behaviors such as empathy, kindness, and inclusivity in the school community.

6. Parental Involvement: Engage parents in anti-bullying initiatives. Parents can play a key role in reinforcing the lessons learned at school.

It's also worth noting that every situation is unique, so a one-size-fits-all approach may not work. The best strategy would be a combination of the above approaches, tailored to the needs of the specific school or community.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I think being harsh on the bullies really help. Talking to them I find that in most cases don't work because what people don't realise is that bullies are the masters of manipulating, especially their parent, who think their children are saints. So when you see the first instance of bullying, you respond swiffly so they can see they don't have any hold on you.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

Counseling is very important when it comes to addressing bullying, but parental involvement is key too, especially considering that the bully may be taking out experiences from home on others. Also, it helps to paint a picture of the negative effects of that action on the victim to dissuade the bully because a lot of the time it doesn't come to their minds that there are future consequences for the victims.
Joy Enny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-enny.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Joy Enny »

I also agree that bullies should never be left unpunished. Many of them often have high egos, therefore it can be effective to make them provide both a written and a physical apology to their victim.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”