How Can Bullying Be Addressed?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Re: How Can Bullying Be Addressed?

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

Bullying should be handled seriously among children and in the community. That's why children should be adequately educated on this.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I think the bully was handling in an amazing. I got a lot of lesson there on how to disciplin a child.
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

By setting up a team in school, work place and religious houses which fight against bullying.
Dennis Kiage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-kiage.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Dennis Kiage »

I don't see any other way--parents are definitely mostly responsible their kids don't grow up to be bullies. Most often, children take after their parents or some other adult in charge over them.
Dennis Kiage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-kiage.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Dennis Kiage »

To follow up on my previous comment; counseling is one way. Also, punitive options can deter them, as well as culturing positive peer-to-peer influences.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Sushan Ekanayake wrote: 28 May 2023, 07:04 Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this very important matter. Addressing bullying is crucial and it takes a community effort.

Your suggestion about counseling the bullies is a great one. It is essential to help them understand the impact of their actions and why they are harmful. Punishment can also be effective but it should be used carefully. The main goal should be to teach and reform, rather than just punish.

Here are a few other strategies that can be used to address bullying:

1. Education: Schools should educate all students about what constitutes bullying, why it is unacceptable, and what the consequences will be for those who engage in such behavior.

2. Zero Tolerance Policy: Implementing a zero-tolerance policy can help set a clear standard of what is not acceptable in the school environment. However, this should be complemented with other strategies to be effective.

3. Bystander Intervention Training: It's also important to empower bystanders to intervene when they see bullying happening. This can often be an effective deterrent.

4. Support for Victims: Provide counseling and support for the victims of bullying. This can help them recover from the experience and build resilience.

5. Promote Positive Behaviors: Encourage positive behaviors such as empathy, kindness, and inclusivity in the school community.

6. Parental Involvement: Engage parents in anti-bullying initiatives. Parents can play a key role in reinforcing the lessons learned at school.

It's also worth noting that every situation is unique, so a one-size-fits-all approach may not work. The best strategy would be a combination of the above approaches, tailored to the needs of the specific school or community.

This is great and accurate. I love your research work
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I would imagine every case of bullying is different and so each case needs to be addresses differently. I think a key aspect is to try to understand why the individuals are displaying bullying behaviour. The bullies may have deep rooted issues themselves and possibly need counselling and support as well as the victims.
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

I appreciate your thoughtful suggestions on how bullying should be handled. It's important to tackle this issue from multiple angles to create a safe and inclusive environment for everyone. I agree with the approach you mentioned, it can be effective in fostering change and promoting empathy.

By involving parents or responsible individuals, it allows for a collaborative effort to address the behavior and its underlying causes. Educating the bullies about the negative impacts of their actions can help them develop a better understanding of the harm they're inflicting on others. Combining penalties with counseling offers an opportunity for self-reflection, personal growth, and learning alternative behaviors.

It's crucial to recognize that addressing bullying is not solely the responsibility of teachers or authorities but also requires individuals to take a stand against it. Empowering students to stand up for themselves and others sends a strong message that bullying will not be tolerated. Encouraging them to report incidents to the relevant authorities ensures that appropriate actions are taken to address the situation effectively.

Ultimately, a comprehensive approach that combines education, support, and consequences can contribute to a positive change in attitudes and behaviors related to bullying.
Rosandra Hosein
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

One-on-one talking to the bullies would really help them. Not all bullies are bad . They just feel misunderstood and sometimes conflicted about their emotions. Also just having a general talk with students and children generally on how bullying can affect others.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

I believe counseling is the best option for dealing with bullying. Most bullies don't just wake up and decide to he bullies, something triggers that. Punishment only angers the bully more, so it doesn't help most of the time.
Ava Marie Williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ava-marie-williams.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Ava Marie Williams »

One thing I have observed is that bullies always bully in such a way that makes it not very conspicuous. In fact, they often don't go after people physically but they tend to have a big psychological impact. I think instance of people looking things over and letting it slide, as it's not too big of a deal, people should recognize the emotional impact that bullying has and attack it once seen.
Oluwasegun Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwaseguntimothy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oluwasegun Timothy »

In my view, initially, it is beneficial to disregard the bully as their actions are often driven by a desire for attention. However, it is important to avoid silence when faced with bullying and instead engage with others, expressing oneself with confidence and resilience when confronting the bully.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I think teachers can address bullying in classes. They should teach the children the effects bullying can have on their lives. Parents can also teach children the effects of bullying.
Fred Newman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fred-newman.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fred Newman »

There should be awareness on the dangers of bullies and it consequences and openly disciplining bullies so others can learn their lessons.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I agree that giving the bullies the help and psychological care they need is important but I also think that they should be faced with the consequences of their actions. They should absolutely be punished in accordance to their bullying. And also, the quote "hurt people, hurt people" doesn't always apply.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”