What is your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.

Your Favorite Dr. Seuss Book

1. The Cat in the Hat
18%
2. Green Eggs and Ham
35%
3. Horton Hears a Who
6%
4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
12%
5. The Butter Battle Book
No votes
6. Oh, the Places You’ll Go
24%
7. Bartholomew and the Oobleck
No votes
8. The Lorax
6%
9. Dr. Seuss’s ABC
No votes
10. The Sneetches and Other Stories
No votes

Total votes: 17

MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Re: What is your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

Post by MsH2k »

Sam Ibeh wrote: 17 Jun 2023, 08:38 I am not a fan of Dr. Seuss and his books. Even when it came up on the flight, it did not strike any special chord. I saw it as part of what the author used to fill up the story. Maybe, I'll start my journey with Green Eggs and Ham.
That airplane scene resonated with me so much because I grew up reading Dr. Seuss books. I looked forward to getting those Random House beginner books in the mail—every month, I think. Green Eggs and Ham is a great place to start to get a feel for the style.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Rosandra Hosein wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 16:41 I loved The Cat in the Hat but my favorite is definitely Horton Hears a Who. I honestly didn't know there were others besides those until reading this book.
Before I did a Google search to create the list for this question, I had never heard of a few of these other books either!
Rosa Parks
Ava Marie Williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ava-marie-williams.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Ava Marie Williams »

If I were to select a favorite Dr. Seuss book from the options you provided, it would be "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" This timeless classic explores themes of personal growth, resilience, and the exciting journey of life. With its whimsical illustrations and inspiring words, it offers a wonderful message of optimism and encourages readers to embrace new adventures and overcome challenges. It's a book that can resonate with both children and adults, reminding us of the endless possibilities that await us.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Ava Marie Williams wrote: 30 Jun 2023, 06:44 If I were to select a favorite Dr. Seuss book from the options you provided, it would be "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" This timeless classic explores themes of personal growth, resilience, and the exciting journey of life. With its whimsical illustrations and inspiring words, it offers a wonderful message of optimism and encourages readers to embrace new adventures and overcome challenges. It's a book that can resonate with both children and adults, reminding us of the endless possibilities that await us.
I lost track of the later Dr. Seuss books after I stopped reading them as a kid in the ‘60s. A few years ago, someone told me they give Oh, the Places You’ll Go! as part of their graduation gift to every high school or college student on their list. From your description, it sounds like a perfect gift!
Rosa Parks
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

My favorite is Green Eggs and Ham. I always loved the book since my nickname is Sam.
Helen Akoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

Honestly, I haven't read any of Dr. Seuss' books. I heard that name for the first time when I read this book and learnt how Donny loved Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham". So, I don't have a favorite.
Laura Helsel Goggin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-helsel-goggin.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Laura Helsel Goggin »

Dr.Seuss stories are the best. They usually have some kind of lesson in them and they are great books for kids who are learning to read. Lots of repetition and rhythm.
Catherine Radford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Catherine Radford »

For some reason I’ve never liked Dr Seuss books - I think as a child I found them strangely creepy!
Storm+
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

My favorite Dr. Suess book is "Oh the Places You'll Go." Not only does it remind me of my son, but, as a high school teacher, it also reminds me of my students and all of the directions they will go in life. I firmly believe that all students have the potential and ability to succeed as they move forward, and this book encapsulates that feeling.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Catherine Radford wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 16:06 For some reason I’ve never liked Dr Seuss books - I think as a child I found them strangely creepy!
I liked several of his books, but I did find some of them odd--those ended up in my read-only-once pile. :D
Rosa Parks
Carly Sprout
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

My little kid brain and sensitivities did not like Thing 1 and Thing 2. I was terrified of them, no I cannot explain it, especially since I loved the Grinch. Green Eggs and Ham will always be my favourite though, with it's underlying message about trying new things and being open-minded. I even find myself silently quoting it to remind myself of this when I need to step out of my comfort zone.
Angie Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1082
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

"The Cat in the Hat" of course! I can't help but think of my own children sitting around "bored", and then all of a sudden here he comes. The story is so fantastical and whimsical that I love reading it every time. The fish's indignation and the children standing with their mouths hanging open. Then as quick as he made his mess, he cleaned it up again. Storytelling at its best!
Samina Moiyadi
Favorite Book: Unlight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samina-moiyadi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Samina Moiyadi »

I started reading Dr. Suess books for my kids. It is so much fun to read them aloud. Green eggs and ham is my personal favourite. It has a proper story line unlike fox in the socks. The Cat in the Hat is also nice.
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

I loved green ham and eggs. A lovely book
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 314
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Anxiety and Depression by Lillyin Love

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Would you believe I've never read a Dr Seuss book? However, I have seen two movie adaptations: Jim Carrey's How The Grinch Stole Christmas (which was absolutely splendid!) and The Lorax (I think starring Zac Efron).

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”