Punishment for the BULLY

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Re: Punishment for the BULLY

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I think considering the ages of the kids involved in the bully I think the punishment was fair and appropriate. I was happy they felt remorseful for their actions which is very important.
Joy Enny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-enny.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Joy Enny »

The suspension given to Justin is equal to the offense. When such measures are taken against bullies, it can definitely be a deterrent to others.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I like the punishment that was given to Justin but what I love is that they helped him to be a better person while giving him disciplinary action. Severe punishments can cause the situation to turn worse and build more hatred between them.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 314
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Anxiety and Depression by Lillyin Love

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I agree, especially seeing the reasons behind Justin's behaviour. Excessive punishment may have hardened him and make him get worse, so reformative punishment was the best for him.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

Justin's punishment was good, and the penalty was reduced because he was a kid. If the habit is found in adults, it should be taken more seriously.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: A third is darkness by Murray Bailey

Post by Nancy004 »

I believe that the consequence Mary Grace chose for the bully was justified. Despite Justin's difficult home life, using a derogatory term towards a person with Down Syndrome is unacceptable. However, expelling Justin from school could have worsened his already troubled state. Feeling unloved and alone, he might have spiraled into self-destruction. Mary Grace's punishment not only promotes forgiveness but also teaches Justin that seeking help is an option.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

The punishment is fair. The bully was still a child and needs to be given a second chance.
The punishment will differ according to the age and degree of how he/she bullied the other party.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I thought that Justin's punishment was very fair. I was glad that Justin's and Tiffany's suspension was kept a secret from the other students since too harsh a punishment can possibly make their bullying behavior worse.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

I believe the punishment given to the bully in "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe was fair. Bullying is a severe problem that could have long-term emotional and psychological repercussions for the victims. We must address and prohibit such behavior to create a welcoming and safe workplace for everyone.

It is essential to ensure that the consequences are severe and act as a deterrent for further bullying, even though the severity of the punishment can vary depending on the specifics and the bully's history. The goal of the punishment should be to teach the bully about the consequences of their actions while also encouraging empathy and understanding.

It is essential to consider the health status and treatment of the bully. To address the underlying issues that may have contributed to their behavior, offering them counseling or other forms of support in addition to punitive measures would be helpful.

The ultimate objective should be to promote a culture where bullying is not tolerated and individuals are encouraged to learn from their errors and improve themselves.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Ochieng Omuodo
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

No, I did not agree with it. It was one thing to seek Mary Grace's and Penelope's inputs into what kinds of punishment were appropriate (or inappropriate), they being the bully's victims. It is quite another to take them on board wholesale as the Grandma Gang and school Principal did. That is not a lesson appropriate for children to learn because it allows for conflicts of interests.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I agree with several here. I thought Justin's consequences was fair and appropriate. Most people that are bullies have something wrong in their lives, and Justin was no exception. He needed to know his actions were not okay, but he needed to be taught what actions are okay. The karate lessons was an awesome touch on top of everything else. The poor kid needed an outlet that he wasn't getting anywhere else, and he needed something to boost his confidence.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kigen Valarie
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: “TREMAINE” by James Harold Kelly
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

The punishment given was good for the bully. It was enough to tell him that what he did was wrong and also teach him what is right. I'm glad it helped him realize how special Donny was and also get friends. So yes, the punishment was well deserved.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

The background information informed the punishment, and I think it was fair. We shouldn't just punish for the sake of punishment, understanding why can sometimes be helpful. I'm certain Justin and his friends learned from that experience.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I think the punishment meted out to Justin and the girl he blackmailed was fair, even lenient. If it were another teacher or it happened in another school, I bet they would have received a much tougher and worse punishment than that given by Ms. Root and Mrs. Stuart. As for me, I wouldn't have given a stricter or tougher punishment especially after getting to the root of the issue and understanding the things that pushed Justin to be a bully. If it was up to me, I'd have stuck with the punishment given by the teachers in the story.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Selena Romero 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selena-r-romero.html
Latest Review: Prince Gideon by Gary Caplan

Post by Selena Romero 1 »

Punishment should be issued with a lot of factors considered. I have been around kids and I know how mean bullys become when they feel they had been unjustly (even if to just their perception) punished. I liked Justin's punishment and I felt it was the most appropriate. Severely punishing him may have been counter productive.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”