Punishment for the BULLY

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Punishment for the BULLY

Post by Roy Nick »

Do you agree with the bully's punishment? Was it fair? Do you feel the bully should have received a more or less severe punishment?
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I was very impressed with Justin's punishment and thought it was fair and effective. It was not standard disciplinary action prescribed blindly, although the suspension was mandatory and I was glad they did not hesitate to suspend Tiffany as well. Mary Grace and the rest of the crew were thoughtful in considering Justin’s home life and the reasons that may have contributed to his actions.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I think that severe or harsher punishment might give a rebound effect. As in the bully would come back meaner and wanting revenge. Punishment must fit the crime. Also consulting and rehabilitation are essential in fixing the bully mindset. The punishment and support they gave to Justin in this book was perfect for me.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I thought the punishment was perfect because although it is acknowledged that Justin had a difficult home situation that was probably the cause of his bullying, it is not used as an excuse to justify his behaviour and rid him of any punishment.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

At first I wanted the bully to be righteously punished. But knowing why he did it, it seemed important to correct his actions instead of severely punishing him. The final outcome was win-win for all the children. It was a good result.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I think for the ages of those Kids involved, the punishment was fair enough. Justin did not physically harm Mary Grace, Donny or her friend. However, it is very important that when punishing kids it should be done out of love and with the intention to correct.
Rowan The-First
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

Those bullies can do things that can psychologically torture someone for the rest of his/her life and whenever they are caught, they need to be severally punished. I believe that these punishments were fair.
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

MsH2k wrote: 21 May 2023, 17:25 I was very impressed with Justin's punishment and thought it was fair and effective. It was not standard disciplinary action prescribed blindly, although the suspension was mandatory and I was glad they did not hesitate to suspend Tiffany as well. Mary Grace and the rest of the crew were thoughtful in considering Justin’s home life and the reasons that may have contributed to his actions.
I have to admit I was more impressed with Mary Grace than the teacher. Despite all she went through, Mary Grace had a heart big enough to reason beyond her age and consider Justin's home and social life.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Rowan the first wrote: 23 May 2023, 00:43 Those bullies can do things that can psychologically torture someone for the rest of his/her life and whenever they are caught, they need to be severally punished. I believe that these punishments were fair.
I agree with the torture part. However, I believe Justin's situation was as a result of his home situation. He borrowed harsh words from his father and thought referring to his classmates as such was a good idea. How misguided!
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Kavita Shah wrote: 22 May 2023, 09:21 At first I wanted the bully to be righteously punished. But knowing why he did it, it seemed important to correct his actions instead of severely punishing him. The final outcome was win-win for all the children. It was a good result.
I concur! At first, Justin was even arrogant when dealing with his teachers. However, when I knew the motivation behind his actions, I felt the teachers and Mary Grace were quite considerate.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka wrote: 22 May 2023, 04:19 I think that severe or harsher punishment might give a rebound effect. As in the bully would come back meaner and wanting revenge. Punishment must fit the crime. Also consulting and rehabilitation are essential in fixing the bully mindset. The punishment and support they gave to Justin in this book was perfect for me.
I hadn't thought of that. That's quite insightful. Thanks for sharing.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Roy Nick wrote: 24 May 2023, 06:02
Kavita Shah wrote: 22 May 2023, 09:21 At first I wanted the bully to be righteously punished. But knowing why he did it, it seemed important to correct his actions instead of severely punishing him. The final outcome was win-win for all the children. It was a good result.
I concur! At first, Justin was even arrogant when dealing with his teachers. However, when I knew the motivation behind his actions, I felt the teachers and Mary Grace were quite considerate.
That's right, Justin was still not properly accepting his wrong when talking privately to the teacher, that part got me angry for good. Then the parent meeting in the office showed me where Justin got into being a bully.
Yes, Mary Grace and teachers did right.
The idea of Karate classes was just brilliant, the way to redirect the anger or pent up emotions.
Kirsti Friesen
Currently Reading: A wrinkle in time
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsti-friesen.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Kirsti Friesen »

I think the punishment for the bully was great. It took a boy who was having troubles at home and showed him some grace. I think that the end of the book where they were all able to hang out and have a good time showed that he had learned his lesson. The fact that he became friends with Donny after what happened shows that he was able to learn and grow from his mistakes.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I felt that Justin's punishment was exactly what he needed. His teachers, the Grandma Gang, and Mary Grace all recognized that he was a troubled young man who longed for attention. Since his grandmother died, he was also grieving the loss, and it led to his lack of a maternal influence in his life. If they had not required him to reflect on his actions and suspend him, he would not have understood the severity of his actions. Also, by requiring him to work with the special ed class, he learned that people with disabilities are worthy of love and respect just like everyone else. This punishment saved him from going down the path of becoming a criminal.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Bullies deserve to be punished depending on the offence, the motive and the age of the offender.
A simple talk with the offender may yield meaningful results. So, it's advisable to employ every necessary approach to nip the act.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”