Punishment for the BULLY

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Catherine Radford
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Re: Punishment for the BULLY

Post by Catherine Radford »

In this case I’d say the punishment fitted the crime.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Ms Chet wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 03:36 Bullies deserve to be punished depending on the offence, the motive and the age of the offender.
A simple talk with the offender may yield meaningful results. So, it's advisable to employ every necessary approach to nip the act.
I agree with this. And I am glad the age was mentioned here. Children are fragile even when they are trying to act tough (and bully others). The punishment must fit the crime, and counselling for both the victim and the bully is necessary. In this case, the punishment fit the crime, and I am glad the author touched the subject and demonstrated that bullies are often children who have issues at home.
TebogoM
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tebogo-baloyi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by TebogoM »

I think the punishment was far despite Justin's difficulty at home but wrong is wrong and can't be corrected with wrong.
Mikespice Mike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikespice-mike.html
Latest Review: Words of Encouragement by Robert Brantley

Post by Mikespice Mike »

I think teaching the bullies and pointing out their mistakes in front of everyone and getting them learn through their mistakes is the best teacher
Imperfection is beauty madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous.
Melody Otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melody-otieno.html
Latest Review: Ain’t She Pretty by Barry J Kughn

Post by Melody Otieno »

Educating all children about how bad is bullying is the first punishment the second punishment is letting their children know about what is going with their children
Gillian Walter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-mogzi.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Gillian Walter »

Justin's fair punishment taught me something. When he went about his bullying, I was so infuriated that I hoped he would be severely punished when he was caught. But the book shed more light on him and a possible reason for his character. This made me understand him better and accepted the punishment he was given.
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

I'm more interested with the reaction rather than the action in this given scenario. This is because even though Mary had all right to lash out, she was calm.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Gabrielle Norconk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-norconk.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Gabrielle Norconk »

MsH2k wrote: 21 May 2023, 17:25 I was very impressed with Justin's punishment and thought it was fair and effective. It was not standard disciplinary action prescribed blindly, although the suspension was mandatory and I was glad they did not hesitate to suspend Tiffany as well. Mary Grace and the rest of the crew were thoughtful in considering Justin’s home life and the reasons that may have contributed to his actions.
I agree with the overall quality of the punishment, especially the part about adding mandatory volunteering in Danny's classroom. Exposure is really important to start developing empathy. However, in general I am not a fan of suspension. I don't understand how preventing a child from being in school and isolating them improves behavior.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

instead of punishment I think the first step in dealing with a bully is to try to understand why they are behaving that way. Sometimes people act out because they're feeling insecure or hurt themselves. I think it's important to have empathy for others, even if they're treating us badly. That doesn't mean we should let them get away with their behavior - but we can try to respond with compassion instead of anger or violence. If possible, I think it's also important to set boundaries with bullies and to let them know that their behavior is not acceptable.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Mehul P
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehul-p.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Mehul P »

I don't think I'd be able to justify a better punishment for the bully. I'd need to read the book one more time to completely get both the point of views.
Kwambo Eunice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwambo-eunice.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Kwambo Eunice »

I think most students need to be made aware be educated on the bad effects of bullying first then if cought bullying punishment may be applied
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I initially thought that Justin's punishment wasn't good enough. However, I think he was punished accordingly and he actually showed remorse for his actions. I like that Justin and Donny eventually become friends despite everything that happened.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

The punishment is fair enough, the most important thing for bullies is for them to be remorseful and see reasons why they should stop bullying
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

I think guidance and counselling should be the first point of call. These bullies ars influenced by one thing or another and we should not solely blame them for their actions. Instead, as a society, we can look into what creates bullies. Oftentimes, it's one issue at home or the other.
Melody Otieno
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melody-otieno.html
Latest Review: Ain’t She Pretty by Barry J Kughn

Post by Melody Otieno »

Bullies deserves more punishment since it's bad for childrens to grow with such behavior so it's better to get punished while young in order to grow knowing bullying is offensive and against the law

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”