What was a scene from the story that you found touching?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: What was a scene from the story that you found touching?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

MsH2k wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 14:48
Heidi M Simone wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 13:57 I loved when Justin was shown compassion and understanding toward the end, and in turn he was so sweet to Donny (hugs for marbles).
Oh my, that part brought tears to my eyes. I’m glad the author accelerated the timeline a bit to show the positive effects of Justin’s “punishment.”
It was so sweet! I also thought that was very clever of the author to do that. I’m actually curious what the other books of the series is about.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I think the most touching scene from this book was when Justin gave Donny a marble in return for a hug. I thought it was so sweet and spoke volumes towards Justin's character growth.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I found the entire book quite touching and sweet. All scenes were touching at different levels. Mary Grace's reaction to the announcement that her parents were going to Africa for two years was one of the most touching scenes.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I found the entire book quite touching and sweet. All scenes were touching at different levels. Mary Grace's reaction to the announcement that her parents were going to Africa for two years was one of the most touching scenes.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by Zainab Wasif »

The scene where Tiffany confides her mistake was touching for me. I felt pity for her. We all make mistakes but it’s tough when one is blackmailed, specially kids, and made to do things we would never do otherwise.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by Zainab Wasif »

The scene where Tiffany confides her mistake was touching for me. I felt pity for her. We all make mistakes but it’s tough when one is blackmailed, specially kids, and made to do things we would never do otherwise.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Zainab Wasif wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 07:12 The scene where Tiffany confides her mistake was touching for me. I felt pity for her. We all make mistakes but it’s tough when one is blackmailed, specially kids, and made to do things we would never do otherwise.
I thought Tiffany’s character was a great example of the complexity of our human nature. She was both a victim and a perpetrator. I wonder if she would not have cheated had she not been preoccupied by her jealousy of Mary Grace and Penelope’s friendship.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Thera reads »

The part where MaryGrace forgave those bullies and made sure that they were not disgraced. That was such a beautiful act of forgiveness.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Thera reads wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 03:27 The part where MaryGrace forgave those bullies and made sure that they were not disgraced. That was such a beautiful act of forgiveness.
That was a beautiful act indeed. It's also nice to know that this act was probably based on the author's actual experience.
Rosa Parks
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

There really are so many touching scenes packed into the book. I liked when the boys helped find Donny when he got lost at the zoo.
Gillian Walter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-mogzi.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Gillian Walter »

I just liked the way Mary Grace's grandparents handled her grumpiness. They understood her and did their best to make her feel alright. One scene that touched me was when her grandma told the dog, Kruger, to go and seat beside Mary Grace in the car, when she was looking out the window looking so forlorn.
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

I feel like many parts in the book got to me. One of the reasons being that I'm an absolute softie. However the part that got to me the most was when Mary realised that she won't be with her parents for a long while.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

The moment Mary Grace found it hard to accept the reality of her parents travelling, I felt for her.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Francis Ignacio wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 07:49 I feel like many parts in the book got to me. One of the reasons being that I'm an absolute softie. However the part that got to me the most was when Mary realised that she won't be with her parents for a long while.
Covenant Morolayo Olusegun wrote: 29 Aug 2023, 10:06 The moment Mary Grace found it hard to accept the reality of her parents travelling, I felt for her.
I too found it emotional when the realization that her parents were going so far away hit. Thankfully, she and Donny had a loving, safe place to stay while they were gone.
Rosa Parks
Angie Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1082
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I found it touching when Elizabeth complimented Justin on his karate skills and Justin was speechless. Elizabeth said, "I think you can do anything you set your mind to." Justin's eyes grew wide. Nobody had ever said anything like that to him.
Words can be powerful, and just a little encouragement can go a long way. I am reminded of the phrase "hurt people hurt people". Likewise, when we stop to care for each other and love one another, we can change the narrative.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”