What was a scene from the story that you found touching?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Re: What was a scene from the story that you found touching?

Post by MsH2k »

Alida Spies wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 12:13 I found it very touching that nobody was angry with Donny or rebuked him when he fell asleep on the bus at the zoo. Everyone was looking for him, even strangers had joined in the search. When he was found, everyone was just very happy that he was okay. I've often seen parents overreact when their children have wandered off e.g., in a supermarket, and are then found unharmed.
There was so much going on in that scene! It was indeed a happy reunion, and the parents were comforting and appreciative. I was also pleased that those teen boys helped Mary Grace in the search.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

The scene where Donny wants Justin to join them on their excursion is touching. I wonder how all the girls will feel around him because he had nearly once put them in trouble.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

So many parts of this story made me emotional. I love the part where Donny let Mary Grace use his you so that she could cheer up after they heard the news. I also love how Mary Grace became a big sis for Donny. I love a lot about this book
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Ogunkoya Mayowa wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 04:02 The scene where Donny wants Justin to join them on their excursion is touching. I wonder how all the girls will feel around him because he had nearly once put them in trouble.
That was certainly a full-circle moment. It showed the power of love and respecting others. I bet there was a Justin in the author and her brother's history too.
Rosa Parks
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

I became emotional when I learnt that their parents were leaving. I felt all the emotions that rushed through Mary Grace. When her mother cried, I also became emotional.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

The part where she didn't accept that her parents were living to Africa for two years, it was touching and I like how she was not rushed into accepting it.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Ivy_Nesty28 wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 01:29 I became emotional when I learnt that their parents were leaving. I felt all the emotions that rushed through Mary Grace. When her mother cried, I also became emotional.
Covenant Morolayo Olusegun wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 05:41 The part where she didn't accept that her parents were living to Africa for two years, it was touching and I like how she was not rushed into accepting it.
That was indeed an emotional time. I appreciated that the parents allowed Mary Grace to process the change in her own way. I also liked that even though she was hurting, Mary Grace still looked out for Donny’s well-being by letting him come into her room and play with her favorite toys. Donny’s positive attitude about the developments made me feel more at ease.
Rosa Parks
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

That scene when they found Donny at the train and he narrated how he got Lost and even started to demonstrate his pinguin dance to his family. I felt sympathetic
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

When Mary Grace tried her best to keep a straight face so that her brother would not be sad. Also letting him play with her toys and cheering him up was really big hearted of her.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno wrote: 23 Jun 2023, 08:05 When Mary Grace tried her best to keep a straight face so that her brother would not be sad. Also letting him play with her toys and cheering him up was really big hearted of her.
Mary Grace’s letting Donny play with her favorite toys was very touching for me too. It showed how far she was willing to go to make her brother feel secure during an unsettling time for them.
Rosa Parks
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

The part I found touching was the period when their parents came to speak with Mary concerning their relocation. I love that they had the children in mind.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: A third is darkness by Murray Bailey

Post by Nancy004 »

One of the most heartwarming moments in the story is when Donny goes missing, and strangers come together to help find him. It's touching to witness the kindness of two boys who go all around the zoo to search for Mary Grace's brother. Another touching scene is when the ice cream lady remembers the special ice cream cones Donny and Mary Grace taught her and makes them again. The fact that the zoo displays their picture and brings them joy shows how small gestures can make a big difference in someone's day.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I loved when Justin was shown compassion and understanding toward the end, and in turn he was so sweet to Donny (hugs for marbles).
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Nancy004 wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 07:54 One of the most heartwarming moments in the story is when Donny goes missing, and strangers come together to help find him. It's touching to witness the kindness of two boys who go all around the zoo to search for Mary Grace's brother.
I also appreciated that the author incorporated those two teenage boys who “looked like they would be the last people to offer their help.” Their brief appearance was a subtle reminder not to judge a book by its cover.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 04 Jul 2023, 13:57 I loved when Justin was shown compassion and understanding toward the end, and in turn he was so sweet to Donny (hugs for marbles).
Oh my, that part brought tears to my eyes. I’m glad the author accelerated the timeline a bit to show the positive effects of Justin’s “punishment.”
Rosa Parks

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”