What was a scene from the story that you found touching?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Several scenes in this story made me misty-eyed. One was when the people on the airplane joined Mary Grace and Donny in reciting Green Eggs and Ham, and at the end, they burst into applause. It surprised me and seemed like a perfect ending to this spontaneous bonding experience. I would be clapping too!

"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The part when Donny and Mary Grace get Penguin Cones. Donny asks the ice cream maker if she remembers him and she says she does. Then he asks if she knows how to make a penguin cone then she says she remembers as Donny taught her well. That was a lovely moment.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I was so touched by how Mary Grace tried to be a big sis for the sake of Donny. Holding back tears when she should cry so Donny would be happy. She was just a sweet little girl that deserves all the love in this world.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kavita Shah wrote: 21 May 2023, 20:58 The part when Donny and Mary Grace get Penguin Cones. Donny asks the ice cream maker if she remembers him and she says she does. Then he asks if she knows how to make a penguin cone then she says she remembers as Donny taught her well. That was a lovely moment.
I liked that scene too. She knew just how to respond. 🍦
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Mellino Itz wrote: 22 May 2023, 09:45 I was so touched by how Mary Grace tried to be a big sis for the sake of Donny. Holding back tears when she should cry so Donny would be happy. She was just a sweet little girl that deserves all the love in this world.
I also thought it was sweet when Donny came into Mary Grace's room to cheer her up after they got the news, and she let him play with her favorite toys. 🧸 I bet most of the stories in this book were true.
Rosa Parks
Rowan The-First
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

The scene when Mary realised that she was not going to be with her parents for two years really touched me cause I knew the situation she was going through inside her and how it really bothered her.
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Savina Visintin »

I don't have a favorite touching scene, but I think Mary Grace's behavior towards her brother is always very sweet, so I have to say that this attitude in general moved me the most.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Rowan the first wrote: 23 May 2023, 00:31 The scene when Mary realised that she was not going to be with her parents for two years really touched me cause I knew the situation she was going through inside her and how it really bothered her.
I was pleasantly surprised by the number of situations the author covered in this brief book. It would not be hard for the reader to connect with a plight one of the characters was facing.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Savina V wrote: 23 May 2023, 03:56 I don't have a favorite touching scene, but I think Mary Grace's behavior towards her brother is always very sweet, so I have to say that this attitude in general moved me the most.
Her attitude was sweet indeed. I kept thinking about the author and how this was probably how she interacted with her brother. That made it even more special. :romance-heartstiny:
Rosa Parks
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

MsH2k wrote: 22 May 2023, 16:37
Mellino Itz wrote: 22 May 2023, 09:45 I was so touched by how Mary Grace tried to be a big sis for the sake of Donny. Holding back tears when she should cry so Donny would be happy. She was just a sweet little girl that deserves all the love in this world.
I also thought it was sweet when Donny came into Mary Grace's room to cheer her up after they got the news, and she let him play with her favorite toys. 🧸 I bet most of the stories in this book were true.
This was my favorite scene too, along with the one when Donny asked Mary Grace to play with him, but she couldn't and promised to do it later. And she actually did when she came back from her friend's house. She didn't just give him words to get him off her back; it was truly touching.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Kirsti Friesen
Currently Reading: A wrinkle in time
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsti-friesen.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Kirsti Friesen »

I think my favorite scene is when the lady from the ice cream stand remembered how to make penguin cones. I really wish I knew what that was, but it sounds so fun. It was super special that she remembered, and it made Donny so happy.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

I found it sweet when Donny insisted he would have loved Justin as his plus one. The character development was impeccable, and the lessons learned were gratifying.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Kirsti Friesen wrote: 24 May 2023, 10:47 I think my favorite scene is when the lady from the ice cream stand remembered how to make penguin cones. I really wish I knew what that was, but it sounds so fun. It was super special that she remembered, and it made Donny so happy.
Oh yes! The ice cream lady came across as a caring one, given she recalled Donny's request.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

MsH2k wrote: 23 May 2023, 14:01
Rowan the first wrote: 23 May 2023, 00:31 The scene when Mary realised that she was not going to be with her parents for two years really touched me cause I knew the situation she was going through inside her and how it really bothered her.
I was pleasantly surprised by the number of situations the author covered in this brief book. It would not be hard for the reader to connect with a plight one of the characters was facing.
I agree. The author addressed quite a number of subjects. The ending was more satisfactory than I'd have imagined.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Rowan The-First wrote: 23 May 2023, 00:31 The scene when Mary realised that she was not going to be with her parents for two years really touched me cause I knew the situation she was going through inside her and how it really bothered her.
It was tough to imagine the transition for a whole two years.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”