Would you have told your parents about the bullying?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Would you have told your parents about the bullying?

Post by MsH2k »

I was impressed with Mary Grace’s maturity when she decided to delete the message she intended to send her parents about the bullying situation. I wondered if I would have been as mature in her position. I wish I could say I would have done the same, but I think I would have told my parents and added that the Grandma Gang was helping me.

Would you have told your parents about the bullying if you were in Mary Grace’s position?
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

This is an interesting question. I think it depends. I was never bullied, and I was never interested in social relationships so I might not have taken bullying for anything worth bothering myself or worse - parents about. But if it happened to worry me, I would confide in my granny - like in the book - because she would handle it way better than my parents!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Olga Markova wrote: 22 May 2023, 13:48 But if it happened to worry me, I would confide in my granny - like in the book - because she would handle it way better than my parents!
Yes, Mary Grace and Donny were fortunate to have such wonderful grandparents and fellow gang members. :)
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rowan The-First
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

For me as a person I wouldn't hesitate telling them and provided the situation that I did not love the place and I wanted to be with them. I would have told them hoping that they came back.
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Savina Visintin »

I don't think I would have told my parents about it for the same reasons Mary Grace thought. I would tell them when the worst was over so they wouldn't worry.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

Since I was already receiving help, I may not have told my parents about the situation. There would be no need as it would only trouble them. However, if help was not coming forth, I believe I would have told them because they would have been upset if they found out at a later time.
Kirsti Friesen
Currently Reading: A wrinkle in time
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsti-friesen.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Kirsti Friesen »

I think I would have told them in a different way. I think the fact that she waited and talked to them in a little more "mature way" showed how she had grown through the process as well. She seems very resentful for her parents going to Africa, so I think that her waiting really showed that she was accepting the change and not taking her anger out on them. I'm glad she deleted the message she was going to send.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I would have told my Mum for sure; she has been my best friend growing up, and I have been seeking her advice in any matter that bothered me since I was in 5th grade.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Ruka N »

MsH2k wrote: 21 May 2023, 17:37 I was impressed with Mary Grace’s maturity when she decided to delete the message she intended to send her parents about the bullying situation. I wondered if I would have been as mature in her position. I wish I could say I would have done the same, but I think I would have told my parents and added that the Grandma Gang was helping me.

Would you have told your parents about the bullying if you were in Mary Grace’s position?
Yes, I definitely would have told my parents. A lot if bullies only back off when adults get involve or when they see the situation will be taken seriously by someone.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Given the location of Mary Grace's parents, I think she would have worried them for nothing. I'm glad she deleted the message and decided to deal with the matter internally.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 24 May 2023, 15:16 I would have told my Mum for sure; she has been my best friend growing up, and I have been seeking her advice in any matter that bothered me since I was in 5th grade.
Mary Grace's parents were in Africa doing humanitarian work. Telling them would only have made their concentration in a faraway country more hectic.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Kirsti Friesen wrote: 24 May 2023, 10:44 I think I would have told them in a different way. I think the fact that she waited and talked to them in a little more "mature way" showed how she had grown through the process as well. She seems very resentful for her parents going to Africa, so I think that her waiting really showed that she was accepting the change and not taking her anger out on them. I'm glad she deleted the message she was going to send.
I agree. And what would have have the parents done anyway? Fly all the way from Africa to deal with a situation Grandma could solve? Mary Grace was quite a wise girl.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Rowan The-First wrote: 23 May 2023, 00:23 For me as a person I wouldn't hesitate telling them and provided the situation that I did not love the place and I wanted to be with them. I would have told them hoping that they came back.
Change is as good as rest. That's how we grow in life. I'm telling you this as a person whose parents changed locations growing up. I don't think I would be who I am without the numerous transitions i had back then. I'm glad Mary Grace changed her mind and deleted the message.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

NicRoy wrote: 25 May 2023, 05:57
Omneya Shakeep wrote: 24 May 2023, 15:16 I would have told my Mum for sure; she has been my best friend growing up, and I have been seeking her advice in any matter that bothered me since I was in 5th grade.
Mary Grace's parents were in Africa doing humanitarian work. Telling them would only have made their concentration in a faraway country more hectic.
I know, but we are talking about a ten- or eleven-year-old me. I wouldn't have considered that; I would have thought they should know everything about my new life, especially since that was what my Mum would have asked me to do. In my immature mind, I would have been a good girl by not keeping any secrets from her. Besides, the main reason would have been to ask for her advice on what to do, which was what I was used to doing in any difficult situation then.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's really good if you can tell your parents. They'll always help you and you trust them.
If it was me I might hesitate a little but I would still tell if something like this happened. Not telling will only make the bullying problem big.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”