Would you have told your parents about the bullying?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Re: Would you have told your parents about the bullying?

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I had a good relationship with my parents while growing up at least to some extent. So I would have told them about the bullying.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: A third is darkness by Murray Bailey

Post by Nancy004 »

If I were in Mary Grace's shoes, I wouldn't have just told my parents about the bullying—I would have thrown a major tantrum, demanding to be taken out of that school. I've been through a similar situation as a kid, where I was bullied both physically and emotionally. I had to rely on my parents to complain to the teacher and make sure I was kept away from the bully. Mary Grace's courage in not involving her parents amazes me because I could never do the same.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

Sure...one thing with bullying is that most of the victims don't talk. It is better they continue after you spoke than to see yourself in hospital with people blaming you.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I would have absolutely told my parents. When I was a child, and even now, I always turn to my parents when I need help or advice.
Helen Akoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

I think Mary Grace deleted the bullying message out fear , shame, and the fact that she did not want her bubbly brother to be affected by it. If I were in her shoes and around her age, I would have definitely shown it to a person in authority to act upon it. I would not have sent it to my parents immediately, but I would have reported it to the teachers concerned for sure.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I think I would have told my parents about the situation depending on the circumstance. If a solution was already in place, then I would tell them when the issue has been resolved. Otherwise, silence would only increase the rate of bullying.
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

I was the victim of bullying in elementary school. I most certainly told my mom, and she didn't take it seriously at first. The bully was a boy, and she thought he fancied me. That was what a lot of people thought of bullying in situations with different genders on either side back then. Disgusting, but true. It wasn't until he hit me that my mom then took it seriously, and came to my school to have the boy removed from my class. I'm all for telling a parent, but the burden is on the parents to take the issue seriously. Thankfully, I was very communicative about developments. Every child isn't the same, though, so some children may endure the pain by themselves if swift action isn't taken. Parents should take prompt action.
Susan Sadiq
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-sadiq.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Susan Sadiq »

I would have done the sake. I dislike confrontations and I have a forgiving heart. I don't hild grudges and I would have been able to stand up for myself. There woild be no jeed to tell my parents.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1911
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

If I was faced with a bullying situation, I would definitely have informed my parents about my problem in that case. Good guardians often win their children's confidence and so, I would have shared every detail of my circumstances with them. However, if they expected maturity from me in my actions, I would have followed Mary Grace's path and decided not to share my difficulties with them.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

Yes, I would have. My parents have always encouraged us to share our challenges with them, no matter how embarrassing the may be. I most definitely would inform them, and it would make solving the problem of bullying easier.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I would definitely tell my parents. It would help me feel better because I would know that they would try and protect me and find a solution to the bullying problem. In Mary Grace's case her guardians already knew but I think it would have been better if she informed her parents as well. So that they know what's going on.
Oluwasegun Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwaseguntimothy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oluwasegun Timothy »

I pondered upon the situation, realizing that my approach to conveying the message could have been entirely different. What struck me was how she gracefully held back, choosing to engage with her parents in a more mature manner. This display of emotional growth was a testament to her evolving character throughout the journey. Despite feeling a deep sense of resentment towards her parents' departure to Africa, her decision to wait and have a composed conversation revealed her acceptance of the change, rather than channeling her anger towards them. The relief flooded over me when I learned that she had deleted the message she had initially intended to send. It was a poignant reminder of her ability to exercise restraint and avoid adding fuel to the fire.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I think this depends on the relationship one has with their children. I think I would have told my parents if I was being bullied because of the relationship I have with them. This would also help the bullying to stop.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Atieno Magero wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 03:02 I would definitely tell my parents. It would help me feel better because I would know that they would try and protect me and find a solution to the bullying problem. In Mary Grace's case her guardians already knew but I think it would have been better if she informed her parents as well. So that they know what's going on.
Hopefully, Mary Grace did tell her parents afterward and included all the brilliant sleuthing of her and the other members of the Grandma Gang. I’m sure they would want to know about it, and they would be very pleased by the support of the capable guardians they entrusted their children to.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Bullies bank on not being called out and told on. Mary Grace may have been mature in this act, but I do not think it was the best decision. I would definitely have told my parents about the bullying.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”