***Spoiler Alert—do not answer this question until you have finished the book***

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Re: ***Spoiler Alert—do not answer this question until you have finished the book***

Post by Roy Nick »

Justin was an unknown character until the ending segments. I, too, thought Tiffany did it out of envy. Too bad she was caught up in a blackmail situation. It was a pretty good surprise; otherwise, the plot would have been obvious.
Kirsti Friesen
Currently Reading: A wrinkle in time
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsti-friesen.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Kirsti Friesen »

I honestly thought it was Tiffany as well. I think the author meant to put that in your head due to the jealousy that was happening with Penelope and Mary Grace. I think Justin would have been a contender as well if the author would have mentioned him prior. It's definitely a character that could have been developed a little earlier on in the story.
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

I also suspected Tiffany at first especially since the author mentioned that she was jealous of Mary Grace's friendship with Penelope but was less sure when the notes became more threatening... I'm glad there was a twist though!
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

I thought the bully revealing twist came as a good surprise. I thought Tiffany was the one behind all Mary Grace's trauma, only to find out she herself was a victim. Justin was unknown until his revelation, so I wouldn't have guessed.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I felt in my gut that Tiffany played a role in the notes, but it was unexpected to read she was "blackmailed" by Justin. While reading the conversation between Tiffany and Ms. Root, I felt sick to my stomach, imagining when Tiffany found out that Justin dragged Penelope (her supposed best friend) into the mix. Her jealousy of Mary Grace and Penelope's friendship sparked something much worse. Jealousy is never a good feeling, and we never think straight when our minds are in a negative headspace.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 25 May 2023, 12:08 I felt in my gut that Tiffany played a role in the notes, but it was unexpected to read she was "blackmailed" by Justin. While reading the conversation between Tiffany and Ms. Root, I felt sick to my stomach, imagining when Tiffany found out that Justin dragged Penelope (her supposed best friend) into the mix. Her jealousy of Mary Grace and Penelope's friendship sparked something much worse. Jealousy is never a good feeling, and we never think straight when our minds are in a negative headspace.
Meghan, your comment that Tiffany's jealousy "sparked something much worse" is an astute observation. Indeed, jealousy is not a good feeling, and while Tiffany did not intend to act on her jealousy, events were inadvertently put into motion that ended up affecting her friend.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kirsti Friesen wrote: 24 May 2023, 10:41 I honestly thought it was Tiffany as well. I think the author meant to put that in your head due to the jealousy that was happening with Penelope and Mary Grace. I think Justin would have been a contender as well if the author would have mentioned him prior. It's definitely a character that could have been developed a little earlier on in the story.
As much as I enjoyed the story, I also thought there were a few characters that could have been developed further. For example, I expected to hear about Father Randall and Bill once they got to California. Perhaps they will be in the next book in the series.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 24 May 2023, 03:01 I thought it was Tiffany, too. There were no other potential kids introduced for us to suspect. This was a pleasant surprise; otherwise, the story would have been predictable and a bit boring.
Roy Nick wrote: 24 May 2023, 05:52 Justin was an unknown character until the ending segments. I, too, thought Tiffany did it out of envy. Too bad she was caught up in a blackmail situation. It was a pretty good surprise; otherwise, the plot would have been obvious.
Shally Z wrote: 25 May 2023, 00:12 I also suspected Tiffany at first especially since the author mentioned that she was jealous of Mary Grace's friendship with Penelope but was less sure when the notes became more threatening... I'm glad there was a twist though!
NicRoy wrote: 25 May 2023, 06:07 I thought the bully revealing twist came as a good surprise. I thought Tiffany was the one behind all Mary Grace's trauma, only to find out she herself was a victim. Justin was unknown until his revelation, so I wouldn't have guessed.
It was hard to ignore Tiffany as a prime suspect, but I hoped it would not be that simple. Like you (or all y’all :D), I was glad there was a twist. And a good one, at that!
Rosa Parks
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant

Post by Shally Z »

Definitely agree with you there! The twist was what made the book so much more interesting
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Yes, I thought Tiffany wrote the notes too. As you mentioned, she seemed to be the most likely culprit because of her jealousy. However, I wasn't quite sure if Tiffany was mean enough to call Donny such an awful slur. If there was some foreshadowing, perhaps I would have suspected Justin.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 27 May 2023, 01:50 Yes, I thought Tiffany wrote the notes too. As you mentioned, she seemed to be the most likely culprit because of her jealousy. However, I wasn't quite sure if Tiffany was mean enough to call Donny such an awful slur. If there was some foreshadowing, perhaps I would have suspected Justin.
When Justin's character suddenly came into play, it reminded me of those TV shows where the mystery is solved, and then they go back and explain all the other things that happened that we had no clue about. I used to love that part when watching Murder She Wrote. (I don't watch much TV these days, so my references are kind of dated. :D)
Rosa Parks
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

No, Justin wasn't even mentioned before so I had no idea that he even existed. I thought it was Tiffany. As soon as Mary Grace shows the notes to her grandmother, I was positive that it was Tiffany. I thought that she wrote as well as placed it secretly. But I was surprised to learn that it was Justin behind it.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Ivy_Nesty28 wrote: 28 May 2023, 00:49 No, Justin wasn't even mentioned before so I had no idea that he even existed. I thought it was Tiffany. As soon as Mary Grace shows the notes to her grandmother, I was positive that it was Tiffany. I thought that she wrote as well as placed it secretly. But I was surprised to learn that it was Justin behind it.
I thought maybe they could trace the notes back to the bully if the bully put a note in the suggestion box with the same marker and same handwriting. I was relieved that Tiffany didn't write the notes, and I was glad she was sorry for hurting her friend.
Rosa Parks
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I also thought that it was Tiffany and I was surprised to find out it was Justin.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I don’t think anyone could’ve predicted Justin to be the one as he was never mentioned earlier in the book. Now, a character introduction like Justin at a crucial plot point isn’t typical. But I liked the unique path the author took for the same.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”