Mary Grace's exit from California

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Re: Mary Grace's exit from California

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Donny and Mary Grace will have to make a difficult decision based on their experiences in California. However, I believe they will still want to stay with their parents if given the opportunity. The kids are always welcome to visit and spend time with the amazing and clever grandmas.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I believe that moving back to Kansas, though not easy, won't be as difficult as their move to California because they're all expecting it. They know they're only staying in California for two years; it won't be as abrupt as their move from Kansas. They'd be sad to leave, that's for sure, but they'd have beautiful experiences to look back on, and they could always visit.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Mikespice Mike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikespice-mike.html
Latest Review: Words of Encouragement by Robert Brantley

Post by Mikespice Mike »

The book is very amazing i think parents should buy for their kids and themselves tooin order to get educated on how to tackle important situations and family matters
Imperfection is beauty madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

I think Marry wants to return with her parents. And because all that happened in California, I believe she felt the distance and separation from her parents more and would want to stay with them.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Gillian Walter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-mogzi.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Gillian Walter »

From what I understood from the book, Mary Grace's adventures only made her more accepting of staying with her grandparents for the time being. So I think she would go back to her parents when they come back. As for Donny, that child is happy to be anywhere as long as he is with his marbles.
Ochieng Omuodo
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

It would seem logical that once their parents return, Mary Grace and Donny should live with them wherever they decide to be, right? I think stability would be better for them and they should stay with their grandparents. But that opinion is case-specific. If their parents had decided to travel with them to Kenya, then, of course, they should be with their parents wherever they may move to even after that. I had a mobile childhood shaped by my parents moving all over the place. I quickly settled wherever I was, as did Mary Grace and Donny in California. So yes, their experiences made them change their opinion of California. Or, more precisely, Donny was too young for the move to matter and was thus excited about it anyway. Mary Grace felt abandoned by her parents but she came around eventually.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

The experience they had gave them a change of heart towards California, I don't think they won't be comfortable living with their parents
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

It will definitely be hard but I think they'll still prefer their parents, they could always visit California.
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

I think Donny will have no problem staying in California but as for Mart Grace, I think she will desire to leave California to stay with her parents.
Angie Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1083
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I definitely think Mary Grace had a change of heart about California by the end of the book. After living with their grandparents for two years and making new friends, it is likely that Mary Grace and Donny will both be reluctant to move again once their parents return from Africa. Perhaps they will all decide to live in California near their grandparents.
Jacob Mamman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-mamman.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Jacob Mamman »

They would be reluctant to leave. I feel they really like it here and have made good friends. So yeah it will be hard for them to want to leave.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”