Overall rating and opinion of "The Smartest Person in the Room" by Christian Espinosa

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscopic Shades
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Overall rating and opinion of "The Smartest Person in the Room" by Christian Espinosa

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion topic for the June 2023 Book of the month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genre is the book? What genres are woven into the text? What did you think of the cover and title? What was the greatest lesson you learned from the book? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on the Bookshelf.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

I really love the cover of this book and the title. It is a book that I would pick up in a store or click on online based on the cover, but having said that, I'd probably put it down rather quickly too when I realised what it was about. I'm not tech-savvy enough to understand most of it. So genre-wise, it is not a fit for me. 

The OBC review was really good, but I'm still not sure I would be able to understand the book. Cybersecurity is something that I am concerned about, though, so I am grateful that there are people out there who do know what they are talking about and are fighting on the frontlines to keep our information secure. The sample was interesting; there was a memoir element to the book, setting it up for who is giving the advice that follows. I like how the author mentioned that most cybersecurity problems stem from tech personnel fighting their own internal war with their own egos and generally lacking social skills. This rings true to me because of the friends that I have in IT. I found no errors in the sample, so I assume that it has been professionally edited. There was nothing that I disliked either; it's just not a subject that I think I would enjoy deep diving into, and I probably wouldn't understand most of it anyway! haha

I will recommend this book to all of my tech-savvy friends. I'm sure they will love it and hopefully learn something valuable that can help them in their work. 
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

Cybersecurity is a nonfiction subject worth reading, with a focus on the people skills that organizations and individuals must possess in order to be successful in today's climate. The knowledge gained and the sense of purpose returned to readers are both positive.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Cybersecurity is a huge issue in today’s world. I have concerns about my personal information being hacked. The news is always filled with instances of people having their identity stolen or a data breach of some kind. It’s a very important issue that I want to learn more about.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

This seems like a very interesting book, but I feel the author or the reviewer excluded a large group of people by making it seem that only IT professionals will enjoy this book. I care about my internet safety (and my family's). Still, I lost interest when I felt that this was a technical book aimed at those who are constantly working with cybersecurity. Hopefully, someone will correct me and then I will read this book and enjoy it.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

I did enjoy the book even though I got lost at times. It provides an insightful critique of existing cybersecurity industry practices and a proposed solution to changing that mindset. I liked how well the author presented his suggested solutions. It has been a four out of five for me so far. Hopefully, the last few chapters close out on the same note.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

I have read the sample which was well-edited and interesting, yet...not for me. I agree that cybersecurity is an issue nowadays, but I am so stupid when it comes to IT that I just cannot understand this book. It is too technical, one needs to know something about computer technology in order to freely dive into the book's contents.
Justin Christensen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justin-christensen.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Justin Christensen »

Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 08:38 I did enjoy the book even though I got lost at times. It provides an insightful critique of existing cybersecurity industry practices and a proposed solution to changing that mindset. I liked how well the author presented his suggested solutions. It has been a four out of five for me so far. Hopefully, the last few chapters close out on the same note.
Curious to know more about where you got lost while reading. I've been meaning to pick this up all month but haven't had a chance to start it yet, it would be nice to prep myself if there is lingo or technical info I should know before I start to get the most out of it!
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Sonia_Gonzalez wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 23:04 This seems like a very interesting book, but I feel the author or the reviewer excluded a large group of people by making it seem that only IT professionals will enjoy this book. I care about my internet safety (and my family's). Still, I lost interest when I felt that this was a technical book aimed at those who are constantly working with cybersecurity. Hopefully, someone will correct me and then I will read this book and enjoy it.
I agree. I think most people have some computer knowledge these days and understand the importance of cybersecurity. To limit the recommendation for the book to IT professionals would put off a lot of readers who may have sufficient knowledge to understand and appreciate the information provided in the book.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

With the rate of internet scams, I feel every internet user should know more about cybersecurity which is one of the topics discussed in Espinosa's " The smartest person in the Room."
Carrington Henderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carrington Henderson »

This book highlights the importance of cyber security and why it is helpful for internet users and their safety. I think more people should read this book and see why cybersecurity is essential.
Oswaldo Ramirez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oswaldo Ramirez »

I enjoyed the book, it is interesting because I work in the IT department of the company I work for and I understand the terms used, I think for some readers it may be difficult to understand but consulting the Internet is helpful to better understand. I will finish reading it soon and give additional comments.
Sofia Monteiro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sofia-monteiro.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Sofia Monteiro »

The author, Christian Espinosa, has, as explicitly stated in the book, 30 years of experience in Cybersecurity. If he wanted to make this a technical book, I'm sure he would be able to do so with mastery. However, this was not the option he went with. Instead, he chose to make a book for whom he called:
people on the front lines of the cyberwar.
Those would include people in thecnical teams or their managers, but he also said the book is appropriate for people in search for an insight on onto this people's minds, as well.

Thus, he explains from the very beginning what he believes to be the main issue working in Cybersecurity from within: communication!
When the communication within your organization is improved, you will be better equipped to win the cybersecurity war
From this, he exposed his methods for improving communication, that are divided into steps which he explains individually.

In conclusion, he explains the importance of the theory he exposed, that should be applied united to deep self-criticism.
People skills and simple risk-based solutions would move the industry closer to winning the war than posturing and complexity.
I wouldn't recommend this book to people in the Cybersecurity area, or with anything but a basic level of knowledge in it, as it is for a somewhat outside viewer of the matter. However, for all others, this is definitely an interesting book. After the ascension of the internet, there is not even one person who is not submitted to the dangers of cybercrime, so knowing how to deal with or how the technical teams deal with it is essential.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Dalia Chf »

Sonia_Gonzalez wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 23:04 This seems like a very interesting book, but I feel the author or the reviewer excluded a large group of people by making it seem that only IT professionals will enjoy this book. I care about my internet safety (and my family's). Still, I lost interest when I felt that this was a technical book aimed at those who are constantly working with cybersecurity. Hopefully, someone will correct me and then I will read this book and enjoy it.
I agree, I think reviewers should be extremely careful, because recommendations are, in my opinion, the focal part of a review. If I’m not an expert in everything IT and I see a reviewer saying it’s super technical and only IT experts can actually enjoy it, I lose interest in reading it.
I think even if you don’t understand everything about a more technical book, every book that gives new information to a reader is worth reading AND recommending to everyone
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

I am still working my way through this book and I’m enjoying it. That said - I work for a small tech company (I’m not technical). I feel as if non tech people can get something out of this book for sure. It’s about leadership and checking your ego at the door.

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”