Overall rating and opinion of "The Smartest Person in the Room" by Christian Espinosa

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Smartest Person in the Room" by Christian Espinosa

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I really liked this book. It explained the topics well enough that the average person would understand, however, I feel that only IT professionals or those who are tech savvy would enjoy this book. The book's cover and title are great in my opinion.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I don't just feel this book is for cyber tech employees; I think everyone can benefit from reading it. Even if you can't relate to the situations given, chances are there are people you work with that this fits. People skills are required in all walks of life, and this book is a relevant one in the self-help genre. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars as it's well-written, easy to digest, and so much more than any reader expects it to be.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

Even though the book does tend to be quite technical at times, I find that it's more helpful than most people would realize. The kinds of scans being perpetrated online nowadays would make anyone feel scared of commiting themselves to any contracts online. This book can really open people's eyes. I love it!! As simple as that.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I read the sample of the book and a couple of reviews on it. I feel I’m pretty tech-savvy in most areas, yet I had some trouble understanding and keeping up with this book. I did enjoy reading it, however.

I feel the reviewer recommendations for IT people and technical workers, needs to also include more common people, who care about security and safety.

I do hope to one day finish reading the rest of the book and add to this rely with more insight and understanding.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. i loved all the personal stories Espinosa told and the people skills he examined in the Secure Methodology. Each skills is easily relatable and in due time will transform you into a better human being. It was refreshing to read the perspective of a cybersecurity professional and Air Force veteran.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

B Sheila Holt wrote: 23 Jun 2023, 04:26 I read the sample of the book and a couple of reviews on it. I feel I’m pretty tech-savvy in most areas, yet I had some trouble understanding and keeping up with this book. I did enjoy reading it, however.

I feel the reviewer recommendations for IT people and technical workers, needs to also include more common people, who care about security and safety.

I do hope to one day finish reading the rest of the book and add to this rely with more insight and understanding.
I agree with you on this, Sheila. I recommend this book to anyone struggling with people skills, both professionally and personally. People skills are crucial for the workplace and your relationships with your family, friends, and significant other. Yes, there is some jargon in the book that only technical employees would understand, but the author goes into detail about what it means and shifts the focus back onto people skills, which helped me understand the book better.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Faith Stacy Leon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-stacy-leon.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Faith Stacy Leon »

Tackling cyber security needs technical expertise. You must be smart enough to detect any slightest cyber issue. I love how educative this book is because it will make one more informed. I didn't dislike anything about it.
Faith Stacy Leon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-stacy-leon.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Faith Stacy Leon »

Technologically savvy people will resonate with this book more. Great smartness skill is needed in the Cyber security world. This book was an enlightening read for me. I love how the writer incorporated the art of storytelling into it.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

I hate the book's cover so much that I cringe every time I see it. I believe what is shared by the author is most valuable to those in the industry. A more balanced approached is needed. One can be a people's person and still be technically sound. We need persons in cybersecurity to have a passion to stop the digital criminals and do so for the good of all.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Once Upon A Time In Afghanistan
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

After 30 years of work in Cybersecurity, the author knows his trade very well. Yet things in this field change from day to day and one can never be too cautious, especially if one has an image to lose- or money, for that matter. For laymen like me, with little to lose, such knowledge is hard to get. This book, like others regarding IT, makes me feel a hundred years old.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I've always wanted to learn more about cybersecurity and I think this read is the best step I've taken towards that. It gives very basic and easy to understand information pertaining to the internet and navigating it safely, something I think every could use in today's day and age.
it is what it is ....
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Cybersecurity is something that we should all be concerned about. I didn't think that the book was too technical that it was only of interest to IT people. We all need to be on alert so that our identities don't get stolen and hackers take possession of all that we own. It is amazing how easy and thorough they can be at getting our private information.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

The subject matter of this story is interesting. I love the title and the cover page of the book. I love how the author employed the use of simple words in writing his story.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

"The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa is a thought-provoking book exploring the relationship between career choices and mindset. It offers accessible insights into complex cybersecurity concepts and avoids technical jargon. The writing style is engaging and clear. The book falls under non-fiction but incorporates psychology, technology, and personal development. The cover and title effectively represent its focus on cybersecurity and intelligence. The greatest lesson learned is the importance of understanding factors beyond just our profession that shape our worldview. It encourages embracing diverse perspectives. I highly recommend this book, especially to those interested in cybersecurity or interested in the impact of career choices on mindset. It provides valuable insights and prompts critical thinking about the influence of professions on our perspectives.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"The smartest person in the room" by Christian Espinosa discussed a very pressing issue: cybersecurity. I would rate this a five out of five stars.

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”