This book is not what you think!

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: This book is not what you think!

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

The main thing I loved about this book is how it wasn't filled with codes and technical cybersecurity jargon (even though the author mentions some in his personal stories), but how people skills are not only crucial for cybersecurity and life in general, but we all possess them, and we might not even know it. I also admired how the author valued positive leadership. We need more of that quality in administration and management. Use the talents of the technical employees and reward them for a job well done. They will work hard for you, and you'll earn their respect.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

This book started out one way and end the next. Was it intentional to prove a point? Not sure. Sometimes these hackers are so way ahead of us, it's difficult for the layman to stay ahead. But I agree, we must at least know the basic stuff to arm ourselves.
Kathie Slief Turner
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Attunist
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathie-slief-turner.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kathie Slief Turner »

The book presents an interesting solution to some of the failures of cybersecurity currently. Communication between the experts is essential even though often times those who go into the field of cybersecurity are quintessesntial geeks with the stereotypical personality that lacks social skills. The book suggest this is one of the failures of cybersecurity; communication requires socialization. Those in the field frequently do not have this skill.

This is a book that can be found interesting to anyone and isn't necessarily for the experts in cybersecurity, although the author's premise makes me think even they would benefit. I like the way the book was organized and found it to be well written. It's scary how widespread the threats of hacking and cyber warfare are, but at the same time its good to know that there are people working on these problems as their career. Interesting book. I can see why it is the BOTM!
Morgan Whipp
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-whipp.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Morgan Whipp »

Cybersecurity is something no one really knows about but should. This book sheds light on the issue for everyone to understand. The overall theme of the book is cybersecurity awareness, so the author does a really good job of explaining it in a way for everyone to understand.
Everything he says in the book can be used in different aspects of life as well, not just cybersecurity which I thought was really smart and useful!
I really enjoyed reading this book to my surprise, and I actually learned something from reading it!
Melody Otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melody-otieno.html
Latest Review: Ain’t She Pretty by Barry J Kughn

Post by Melody Otieno »

This post has thought a lot that I couldn't get anywhere about cybersecurity... To be frank I got freaked abit cos you can't whether you are safe or not with today's technology
WildThings
Currently Reading: Dopamine Detox
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildthings.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by WildThings »

SWETA SATPATHY wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 07:25 Someone hacked into Linkedin's database in 2021 and sold the personal info of 700 million users. The person went by the name "God User." How do I know this! Does that matter? Can you even trust this post? You can't tell if a post is a post now or propaganda; you can't tell if what the post says is authentic or fake now, and you need to know if the camera on your device is shut off or not when you are reading this! We can't really know stuff now.
I know this because cybersecurity is a weird thing now. It is not so new as artificial intelligence that everyone wants to learn about. Also, it is not so old that it has lost its relevance. What it is, is heavily injected into our lives, so much so that we can lose our bread and butter, our job, our security, lives of our family members, if cybersecurity didn't exist. But I didn't realize how thousands of people are actively working to build a cyber-secure world. It was about the time when I read this book. The opening statement is one to cheer for. The book starts with the same naïve approach of the generation not born in a world with cyber threats. But it goes on to teach why that is irrelevant; you are now in a warzone, and realizing it when it's too late is unacceptable.
This book is not what it looks like at all. This book is not for an average person trying to get into essential cybersecurity or anyone who is a cybersecurity expert. This is no skilling course. This book is a word of advice to responsible people incapable of doing it themselves. If you are responsible for someone's security but don't know how to fight or save them from assault, you hire someone for you. Now being a person who doesn't have the first idea on how to protect someone, how do you judge the new guy? How do you understand that this guy is the right choice? You need someone from inside the field to suggest you a good guy, right? This book is that guy from inside the area. There are aspects of cyber security that you can know the bare minimum of and still make the right choices, and there are people skills you must know a lot about to protect the good stuff you have. I hope this book finds the people who need it and vice versa.
Thank you so much. I would have never thought this is what the book entails. I read a few pages and I thought maybe this book is only for someone who understands cybersecurity in depth and so I gave up. But after listening to your review I feel the need to pick up the book right away.
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

With the world being digitalized in its entirety, the knowledge of cyber security is paramount. This book contains quite a good amount of content in that area.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
PanwarP
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-panwarp.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by PanwarP »

The book provides valuable guidance on how to enhance cybersecurity, promote teamwork, and sharpen your leadership skills. Businesses and enterprises are particularly concerned about cybersecurity.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

It is unfortunate when things like this happen. But I think this book has brought a lot of awareness about cyber security and technicality issues. We just have to put in the best necessary measures to secure out privacy and data while working ad a team for general good.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Maybe the title should be tweaked a bit to reflect what it addresses squarely, but then since it warns people about cyber security issues, without getting into technicalities, it's still helpful to readers.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

I think this book helps the average reader to potentially save themselves and help others as well, and guides them to stay safe from cyber security. It is terrifying to feel that our every move is captured and there is no place for privacy. This book will definitely help people to find the right guy that will navigate them safely from cybersecurity issues.
Runan

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”