Fun thread - Ya don’t want to be a Doug.

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Fun thread - Ya don’t want to be a Doug.

Post by Emily Meadows »

In the book, it got so I would laugh out loud every time the author mentioned Doug. Doug is the employee (or leader) that none of us want to be. Does anyone work with a Doug? Are YOU the Doug in your workplace?
Morgan Whipp
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-whipp.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Morgan Whipp »

Poor Doug! Although he is the perfect example of what NOT to do in any workplace. I feel like everyone definitely knows or has known a Doug in the past.
Bottom line: Don't be a Doug
Mary O Dougherty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-o-dougherty.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Mary O Dougherty »

I hope "Doug" found out in some way that they're the example of an ego-driven executive. Maybe being made an example of in a published book would cause some self-reflection. Or maybe not!
I worked with a "Doug" for a while, and he got a little better while I worked there and allegedly went back to his Doug-y ways after I left. A little intimidation might go a long way for these folks! But when they're executives they can keep that insulation.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

MaryDougherty wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 21:06 I hope "Doug" found out in some way that they're the example of an ego-driven executive. Maybe being made an example of in a published book would cause some self-reflection. Or maybe not!
I worked with a "Doug" for a while, and he got a little better while I worked there and allegedly went back to his Doug-y ways after I left. A little intimidation might go a long way for these folks! But when they're executives they can keep that insulation.
Can you imagine picking up this book (because you worked for the author) and realizing he talked about you OVER AND OVER? Bwah haha, that would be mortifying and humbling.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

Lol. Everyone definitely has a Doug in their life. It takes a lot to be able to handle them. I could never be a Doug.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really feel badly for anyone named Doug. Really would you want your name associated with someone who does such things?
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

It's funny to me as well. The character Doug always strikes a different images in the reader's subconscious minds. Well, it I'd what it is, but absolutely alright. We can always adjust the subconscious impression to reflect the present reality.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

hahah Every work place has one. At my work it's Sven. "Don't be Sven" has become quite a common saying when someone is being a little annoying.

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”