Working *just* for money.

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Working *just* for money.

Post by Emily Meadows »

In the book, the author scoffs at the idea that employees should work for money. He wants his employees to have more altruistic reasons for working, or at least to have passion for their jobs. What do people think about this?

I personally think he is speaking from a place of obvious privilege (as someone who doesn’t have to worry about money anymore), if he looks down on people who only work for a paycheck.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Dalia Chf »

I completely agree! These kind of points of view are heavily influenced by someone’s privilege in life.

I also think it depends on the kind of job someone has. If someone works for something they believe in with their whole heart, I believe they are working for more than money. But honestly, money is always the number one reason why people work, rich or poor both.

I bet if you ask anyone if they would work if they didn’t HAVE TO, they would all answer no.
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

There is absolutely no reason why people with different daily needs such as feeding, health, upkeep, rent and maintenance should not have money as one of their primary motivations while working. I would even say, the higher the pay grade, the higher the motivation one has to do the work.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

I guess it depends on where you are in life. Those who are in lower socio-economic strata of society will look for way and means to earn income to cover the basic human needs; whilst those of the rich and famous can afford to pick and choose where they earn their living. I would love to dedicate myself to service and not think of money. That will take great faith.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Anyone can have the privilege of working to earn money AND doing something they love or that aligns with their higher p pose. These two are not mutually exclusive. I have worked jobs for money, but during those times, I have also enjoyed finding out what the overall purpose of the work is. If it's something I agree with, then the job is okay. However, it is incredibly fulfilling to work mainly for a purpose or a love of doing something. I have had a mostly volunteer career for almost 25 years while also doing something else I love that earns money. Having done all this, I put fulfillment and the satisfaction of doing something along my overall purposes above working only for money.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Having more altruistic reasons for working is very essential, as it promotes high productivity in the part of the employee.
However, we're all aware that everyone is not privileged to finding a job of their passion, that also puts food on their table.
So, from the world of reality, it's usually very rare to find such an opportunity and people can't go hungry.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Emily Meadows »

Ms Chet wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 08:18 Having more altruistic reasons for working is very essential, as it promotes high productivity in the part of the employee.
However, we're all aware that everyone is not privileged to finding a job of their passion, that also puts food on their table.
So, from the world of reality, it's usually very rare to find such an opportunity and people can't go hungry.
To your point, I would struggle to do a job I hate, full time!
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I agree that he is speaking from a place of privilege. Unfortunately, very few people in this world can work at something just because they love it. Most people work to put food on the table and clothes on their backs. More people than not work from paycheck to paycheck.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald by K.L. Huntley
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I agree that we work to pay the bills but I think it’s also important to enjoy what you do. Doing something you love doesn’t always pay the bills though.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I think it's important to have passion for your job, regardless of pay. I think this provides happier employees and better productivity. Overall though, I would never look down on people working just for the money. Sometimes it is a stepping stone to something else, or sometimes people do the job that is available to them and they stay there for a long time as it pays the bills. This is still a great achievement regardless.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I definitely agree. It is imperative for people to work for money. Not everyone has the privilege to just follow their dreams.
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

Emily Meadows wrote: 24 Jun 2023, 10:54 In the book, the author scoffs at the idea that employees should work for money. He wants his employees to have more altruistic reasons for working, or at least to have passion for their jobs. What do people think about this?

I personally think he is speaking from a place of obvious privilege (as someone who doesn’t have to worry about money anymore), if he looks down on people who only work for a paycheck.
I agree with you totally. When anyone has a privilege of choice, they put in thought and weigh their options. But, when you have less power and fewer options for some reason, you have no ground to think but to do it anyways. The same is the case here. Ask a poor ma why he is a street vendor. Of course the person is going to say that he needs money and that he doesn't know what else to do or he doesn't have other required resources to move to a better job.
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

You can't expect some people to work for more than money. For instance, I would hesitate to think a janitor or gas station attendant would love their jobs. Not saying this is impossible, but highly unlikely. It would make sense that they look at it as a mere means to put food on their tables and keep a roof over their heads. Everyone can't love what they do.

However, the world needs some people who do. That is how technology advances. I, for one, don't love what I do but I like it in general. I sought out the career I'm in. I've also had the experience of not liking what I did, and it was a former career that I "fell" into. The former career happened because of my lack of options, due to not having yet had a college degree. After receiving the college degree, a new world was opened to me and I could navigate it like I never could before. It was nice to choose for once.

This is a long, drawn out way of saying I agree that it is privilege that allows people to love what they do and have altruistic dreams. Still, only so many people can follow that path. I'd be willing to bet more people like what they do than love it. Meaning that they're not necessarily over-the-moon about it, but enjoy it enough to feel some sort of satisfaction. I'd bet even more that most people don't like what they do at all, but care more about what the money can do for them. That goes for the rich and the poor. Everyone is working towards a common goal: survival. This is also why it's best to have hobbies outside of work. You likely won't find complete happiness in your job.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Emily Meadows »

Jessica Cole 3 wrote: 05 Jul 2023, 20:15 You can't expect some people to work for more than money. For instance, I would hesitate to think a janitor or gas station attendant would love their jobs. Not saying this is impossible, but highly unlikely. It would make sense that they look at it as a mere means to put food on their tables and keep a roof over their heads. Everyone can't love what they do.

However, the world needs some people who do. That is how technology advances. I, for one, don't love what I do but I like it in general. I sought out the career I'm in. I've also had the experience of not liking what I did, and it was a former career that I "fell" into. The former career happened because of my lack of options, due to not having yet had a college degree. After receiving the college degree, a new world was opened to me and I could navigate it like I never could before. It was nice to choose for once.

This is a long, drawn out way of saying I agree that it is privilege that allows people to love what they do and have altruistic dreams. Still, only so many people can follow that path. I'd be willing to bet more people like what they do than love it. Meaning that they're not necessarily over-the-moon about it, but enjoy it enough to feel some sort of satisfaction. I'd bet even more that most people don't like what they do at all, but care more about what the money can do for them. That goes for the rich and the poor. Everyone is working towards a common goal: survival. This is also why it's best to have hobbies outside of work. You likely won't find complete happiness in your job.
The author had the right intent but came off as tone deaf to me. I totally agree with what you wrote here. I also worry that our collective kids grow up thinking that they have to love their career or they won’t do it. Ideally there is love for the career. But if not - that’s okay - earn your money and then fill the rest of your bucket up with things you love.
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

Emily Meadows wrote: 06 Jul 2023, 10:42
Jessica Cole 3 wrote: 05 Jul 2023, 20:15 You can't expect some people to work for more than money. For instance, I would hesitate to think a janitor or gas station attendant would love their jobs. Not saying this is impossible, but highly unlikely. It would make sense that they look at it as a mere means to put food on their tables and keep a roof over their heads. Everyone can't love what they do.

The author had the right intent but came off as tone deaf to me. I totally agree with what you wrote here. I also worry that our collective kids grow up thinking that they have to love their career or they won’t do it. Ideally there is love for the career. But if not - that’s okay - earn your money and then fill the rest of your bucket up with things you love.
Very good point about the kids. I remember hearing this quote so often growing up "If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life." It's fed to kids all the time. I grew up thinking that was how life was for everyone, until I realized better. Also, life humbled me. I think Gen Z has grown up with the idea of loving what you do the most, because of social media making them think people are better off or happier than they actually are. But I digress. The last line you wrote sums what should be done, perfectly.

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”