Working *just* for money.

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Justin Christensen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justin-christensen.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Re: Working *just* for money.

Post by Justin Christensen »

I definitely see where you're coming from. At the end of the day, every job I've ever had has just been a means to end - a way to survive. I do, however, think that it is fair for an employer to value the concept of an employee who is motivated by more than just money, and I think it is likely that employees who are truly passionate about what they do are likely to work harder, do more, and do better than their peers.

I don't think it is likely that any business owner will find even one employee who truly doesn't care about the money. At the end of the day, we all have bills after all. Perhaps a better message would be to encourage people to find jobs that are more than simply a paycheck. Sure, the paycheck is important, but if you can also feel passion for the work you do you will probably be happier and more successful. Finding a way to earn a paycheck that you can be excited about seems like a good goal.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html

Post by Alice Fu »

While I understand the fact that it would be good for people to work a job they truly enjoy, it simply isn't something that is possible for everyone. Some people truly have to work a job purely for survival due to economic circumstances.
John Ikenwanze
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

Basically we work to earn, but I do my job not just for the money; because the pay isn't much. I do my job at my office because I enjoy solving problems. Therefore I would agree to some level with the author.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I have always had to work for money to support myself and then my family. I have had some jobs that also bring me joy and fulfillment. But overall, I have had to work to pay the bills and provide shelter and food for my family. I am passionate about my volunteer positions and about other things that I choose to do.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I absolutely agree about the privilege comment. Most people do not have the luxury to take money out of the equation and work for pleasure. For most, it's a necessity.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

In today's world, I think that is a statement used to lie to people. If you are the cog in a wheel of a big company, they will not consider you irreplaceable even if you love what you do. I find the purest and most efficient relationship you can have with your company is if they pay you what you are worth and you do the job you are paid for. Loving what you do and having a passion for the job is purely a bonus.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

Both privileged individuals and those content with their current situation may share the same sentiment. But for someone whose main priority is providing for their family, refusing a job they do not enjoy may not be an option.
However, there are also individuals who have left well-paying white-collar jobs to dedicate their lives to sharing their knowledge for the greater good. These people are often considered semi-saints by the groups they serve, as they have chosen to follow their higher calling.
So, a generalized statement, either way, is incorrect.
If you love your job, you will give it your best. But, even if you have accepted a job "just" for the money, be sure you do it with all honesty it demands.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

In an ideal world, your job would reflect your aspirations and make you feel happy on a daily basis. However, many life circumstances force you to accept a job merely to support your family and pay the bills. I think it is very important to ponder on your options and find the job that gives you joy and is also financially rewarding.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

This has always been my motto in life; love what you do and do what you love. However, I do realise that in the real world, this is not always the case.

Understandably, we are not all privileged to find jobs that we are passionate about. In this case, I believe the author means that if we have more altruistic reasons for working, we would become more proficient at our jobs and give our best every day.
Jenipher Owino
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenipher-owino.html
Latest Review: Higher Connections by Eric Right and Alexandra Right

Post by Jenipher Owino »

I think it's working for brighter future of our family especially our children and their children too...
Christopher Sublett
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-sublett.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christopher Sublett »

An employer or boss that is more concerned about the employee's salary and not what makes the employee happy or motivation for the reason that is most important to the individual employee to work has lost touch with connecting on a deeper personal level to better understand what a diverse environment with inclusion really means.
Christopher Sublett
Reviewer@OnlineBookClub.org
:bookclub-square:
Follow
http://twitter.com/ChrisRSublett
http://pinterest.com/christopher_sublett
http://linkedin.com/in/chris-sublett
http://facebook.com/christopher.sublett.77

http://tumblr.com/christophersublett
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

The keyword in this conversation is "just." If you look at it from that word, I don't believe the author is speaking from a place of privilege. It's okay to work for the money. However, there has to be something more that keeps you on the job. If you work "just" for the money, it will weary you.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:

Dalia Chf wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 05:55 I completely agree! These kind of points of view are heavily influenced by someone’s privilege in life.

I also think it depends on the kind of job someone has. If someone works for something they believe in with their whole heart, I believe they are working for more than money. But honestly, money is always the number one reason why people work, rich or poor both.

I bet if you ask anyone if they would work if they didn’t HAVE TO, they would all answer no.
I get the point you're making. However, it's not always about privilege. It's a mindset. Take what we do here on OBC. If we never enjoyed reading books and sharing our views with authors, it might be frustrating, especially when you do reviews that takes you through hoops. It isn't always about the money all the time.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:

Cristina Chifane wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 07:40 In an ideal world, your job would reflect your aspirations and make you feel happy on a daily basis. However, many life circumstances force you to accept a job merely to support your family and pay the bills. I think it is very important to ponder on your options and find the job that gives you joy and is also financially rewarding.
This is a balanced take on the conversation. I agree completely with you.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

Judging a person’s decision is biases. Every individual knows his circumstances, requirements, and responsibilities, and on this basis he or she must make a decision whether to do what he or she likes or accept something as it is. But what I can comment on is someone’s desire to do what he or she loves at the expense of those who rely on him or her on the pretext that he has a dream or an interest that has changed.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”