Working *just* for money.

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Chaos Rising by P.D. Blackwell

Re: Working *just* for money.

Post by Aditii Mehta »

I think it's important to have passion and interest in your profession but at the same time most of the people find it difficult to even earn the bare minimum to fill their empty stomach. For them, paycheck is the only motivation. Not everyone has the privilege or resources to work for their dreams
Nate Mosson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nate-mosson.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nate Mosson »

I completely agree! These kind of points of view are heavily influenced by someone’s privilege in life.

I also think it depends on the kind of job someone has. If someone works for something they believe in with their whole heart, I believe they are working for more than money. But honestly, money is always the number one reason why people work, rich or poor both.
WildThings
Currently Reading: Dopamine Detox
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildthings.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by WildThings »

I completely agree with you. People often don't realise or appreciate the privilege they have. It is absolutely okay to not have a passion for the job and work only for money. Not everyone can afford to go out looking for different things to try in life, figure out their passion and not earn. It is okay to be content with providing a decent life to your parents/partner/children while working for a job you aren't passionate about.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I agree that the author is speaking from a place of privilege. It is great when someone is able to do something they love as a way to earn money, but there is no shame in working for a paycheck and nothing more. I think it is particularly important to have other pursuits that you enjoy if you are working for a paycheck at a job that you don't particularly enjoy so that you can stay sane.
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by RJ Reviews »

Agreed! It absolutely is a privilege to get a career or job of one's choice. But most work for money - to survive, to provide for. They don't have the luxury of choosing a job of their liking.
The smartest thing is to work for money and use that money to indulge in a hobby.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
PanwarP
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-panwarp.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by PanwarP »

We should strive for far more than just financial gain. We should strive for a better standard of living for our family, more opportunities in life, and financial stability. If we're wise, we'll also seek to create residual income because that's the path to financial independence.
Samina Moiyadi
Favorite Book: Unlight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samina-moiyadi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Samina Moiyadi »

I agree. It is easy for a privileged person to say that one should not work for money. For most of us, passion gives just some pocket money.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I agree. While it is nice to be able to work for something other than money, it’s also not always possible. It’s a good thing to enjoy what you do, but if it wasn’t for the paycheck there are very few people who would actually show up (even fewer than now.)
Schyk Marcus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-schyk-marcus.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Schyk Marcus »

It is obvious that he is speaking from being privileged. I can understand his point of view tho. People rarely work because they love what they do. To an extent, he is correct but his bluntness can be mistaken for rudeness.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

I found the author's view interestingly helpful. Generally, a passion-driven hob should produce more results and more innovations. Unfortunately, it's not everyone who has the opportunity to work the jobs that are also their passions. May be, we can put some measures in place to bring this about.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

In life there will always be a perfect balance. There are people who do nothing and earn millions and also people who work hard in exchange for a salary that is not enough for them.

Both extremes of the case and the middle points are respectable in any field, because everyone experiences different realities.

As a very common saying in my country: "only one knows the leaks in his house" and "everyone covers themselves as far as the blanket can reach."
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

I think that some people don't have the privilege to follow their passion. They have to work really hard to get money. But at the same time, there are people with this privilege who join a job just for money with no passion. When you think about the people from this privileged category, they have the choice to follow their passion. So that for them work wouldn't be tiring instead a great experience.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I agree with you, doing our jobs with passion is very vital because it promotes efficiency and productivity, but not everyone is privileged to find jobs of their passion. So, most work for the money, but in the process of working for money, I believe that one can also develop passion for the job.
Buikem Kasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buikem-kasia.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Buikem Kasia »

Different things motivate different people. It isn't okay to frown at those that work for money because they need it. It is a necessity to have money in the world today.
Terrine Wild
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lakaka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Terrine Wild »

People work for money to take care of their families. It is actually possible and it is a thing. There's more suffering in the world than we realise.

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”