A man's job is a hint for how he views the world; do you agree?

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

A man's job is a hint for how he views the world; do you agree?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

All computers are based on bits. A bit is a 1 or a 0—on or off. That’s it. There is a correlation between the personality types of technical people and our “black or white” mindsets. We have chosen career fields where the fundamentals are 1s and 0s, on or off, so it makes sense we view the world as black and white, rather than with shades of gray.
(Location 49 - Kindle version)

The author have suggested that there is a correlation between a man's job and how he views the world. In other terms we should be able to get an idea about a man's view on the world and how his mind will work in certain scenarios just by getting to know his job. What do you think? Do you think such a thing is possible and acceptable?

https://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums ... 3d6c449db8
MsChet Cherry
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

I completely agree with the author on this. Some people work without knowing what the big project entails, while some others are the architect of the project.
Obviously, their views for this project will be different, just like their general views of life.
So, yes, someone's job may determine how they view life.
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

This could be true for the most part, but not true for all. It depends on what the individual's end goal in life is. Someone could be working a temporary job that they believe is beneath them, due to a change in their financial circumstances. They could be planning for when things are well again.

That is a unique situation, and many people wouldn't fall under that category most of the time. Just sharing a different perspective. I do tend to agree that a job is usually indicative of the way people view the world. Not just a hint, but a direct correlation. There's a reason that certain jobs are more appealing to certain kinds of people.
Susan Sadiq
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-sadiq.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Susan Sadiq »

This is not true at all. Men get random jobs just to get money and feed their families. It doesn't mean that that's how they view the world. It is false and they just do what they have to do to make sure their families are happy.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I think it truly depends in this situation. In some cases, there are people who are working solid jobs that are great for survival and those can be a hint of a man's perception of the world. However, there are also jobs out there that people tend to only do for the sake of getting by and surviving. For example, I don't think that someone working at a fast food chain store says something about how someone views the world. While it can show a sense of how external pressures may treat him, it doesn't directly say how he views the world back.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

I agree with this. For me, I solve problems and this makes me view the world in that light. Challenges do not weigh me down because I believe it is just another problem to be solved
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The idea proposed by Cristian Espinosa in his book "The Smartest Man in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" is intriguing, but it must be approached cautiously. It is true that those who work in technical fields frequently use binary concepts and might have a propensity for black-and-white thinking. To assume, however, that a person's occupation can accurately predict their worldview or ability to solve problems in all circumstances would be oversimplified and unfair.

As complex beings, people's views are influenced by various factors, including education, experience, personal beliefs, and cultural backgrounds. While some professions can give insight into a person's skills or knowledge in a particular area, they must remember that their professional responsibilities do not limit people's thoughts.

Understanding someone's worldview and cognitive strategy requires delving into all facets of their existence, building strong relationships with them, and taking into account the complexity of human nature. While a person's place of employment may offer some useful information, it shouldn't be the lone aspect that determines how they see the world or how they approach problems. Accepting the depth and breadth of the human experience is necessary for a deeper understanding of people.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by britcott30 »

No, I can't entirely agree. It really depends on what is the purpose and background of his work. Does he work only to get the money to feed the family no matter what the work is? Does he work in a field where he can chase his passion and develop himself? Does he work because he follows his hobbies? There are many reasons behind it. But mainly if the reason is that men work to chase their passion and hobbies, usually their views of life can be related to the job.
KaiylahOQuinn
Currently Reading: Lilith's Brood
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaiylahoquinn.html
Latest Review: Canaries Among Us by Kayla Taylor

Post by KaiylahOQuinn »

An occupation sometimes requires parts of ourselves that we may not otherwise express if it weren’t for the situation calling it from us. Espinosa details extensively in the fourth chapter “Mindset” how important our mindsets are when “committing” ourselves to any profession. Growth mindset is definitely ideal.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I don't totally agree, sometimes, our career path chose us because we couldn't break even in our desired chosen area. So our job might not always be how we view the world.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I believe that all your experiences shape how you view the world in general. Your job is one of these experiences, so it would definitely affect your views. But you can't judge how someone views the world solely based on their job.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I strongly disagree. With the current job market and unemployment rates rising in most countries, most people would just be tempted to take whatever job they could find. I doubt a person should be judged in any way based on their job.
Kathie Slief Turner
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Attunist
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathie-slief-turner.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kathie Slief Turner »

To some extent, I believe you can ascertain certain characteristics of a person from their chosen profession. One they chose and likely studied in their college degree program. Someone out of work taking whatever job they can find is a different story. In the former case, one that chooses to work in some aspect of computing is likely to have traits in common. The black-and-white thinking suggested fits, in my experience. A lack of social graces is another. This doesn't mean all those who go into fields such as computing share these characteristics, only that it is more likely than not that they do.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

In the past, that may have been true when people expected to spend most of their lifetime working at one job. However, to survive or even have a chance at a financially stable life today, savvy people never stay in one position for a long time to achieve upward financial mobility. I think people today look at the monetary value of the job first even if it may not necessarily reflect their own values.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

It depends if your job is the result of your personal choice or circumstances. In the former case, your job can reflect your personality and view of the world. In the latter case, your job is only a means of earning your living and does not necessarily reflect who you really are.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”