A man's job is a hint for how he views the world; do you agree?

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Selena Romero 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selena-r-romero.html
Latest Review: Prince Gideon by Gary Caplan

Re: A man's job is a hint for how he views the world; do you agree?

Post by Selena Romero 1 »

I don't quite agree with the author for a number of reasons. First, people take up jobs for so many different reasons. Some are working jobs that may not project their ideas or ideals of life but are doing so just to survive and earn a living in the mean time. While some others are working jobs that they like but represents nothing of their life views either. This is a false premise and may lead to wrong conclusions.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Slippery Road.
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

politicalkawiya wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 20:16
All computers are based on bits. A bit is a 1 or a 0—on or off. That’s it. There is a correlation between the personality types of technical people and our “black or white” mindsets. We have chosen career fields where the fundamentals are 1s and 0s, on or off, so it makes sense we view the world as black and white, rather than with shades of gray.
(Location 49 - Kindle version)

The author have suggested that there is a correlation between a man's job and how he views the world. In other terms we should be able to get an idea about a man's view on the world and how his mind will work in certain scenarios just by getting to know his job. What do you think? Do you think such a thing is possible and acceptable?

https://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums ... 3d6c449db8

In the book "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity," the author introduces the concept that a person's occupation can shape their worldview and cognitive patterns. While experiences do undeniably impact our perspectives, directly linking one's job to their entire outlook might oversimplify the intricacies of human thinking. Professions can certainly influence problem-solving abilities and viewpoints, but individuals are multifaceted and influenced by a range of factors. While gaining insights into someone's mindset through their profession is possible, accurately predicting their responses in all situations may be challenging. Nonetheless, acknowledging how professions shape perspectives can aid in comprehending different viewpoints and promoting collaboration. Striking a balance between recognizing these insights and appreciating individual complexity is key to a nuanced understanding.
Mikespice Mike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikespice-mike.html
Latest Review: Words of Encouragement by Robert Brantley

Post by Mikespice Mike »

It depends on how that man placed himself from the first place of making money till he made it in life
Imperfection is beauty madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous.
Zippy Kerubo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zippy-kerubo.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Zippy Kerubo »

It depends with your job descriptions and the man's responsibility... That's my thought though
Christopher Sublett
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christopher-sublett.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christopher Sublett »

A job is just that, a job, where you go to work. Your perspective on how you view the world is based on your interactions with people, cultural experiences, level of education, wisdom, age, moral values, and religious beliefs.
Christopher Sublett
Reviewer@OnlineBookClub.org
:bookclub-square:
Follow
http://twitter.com/ChrisRSublett
http://pinterest.com/christopher_sublett
http://linkedin.com/in/chris-sublett
http://facebook.com/christopher.sublett.77

http://tumblr.com/christophersublett
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Chaos Rising by P.D. Blackwell

Post by Aditii Mehta »

I don't agree with this. Some people work just for money and there's no correlation between their job and opinions. Although if a person pursued a profession by his choice, we may be able to get an idea about the person as well.
Nate Mosson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nate-mosson.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nate Mosson »

I completely agree with the author on this. Some people work without knowing what the big project entails, while some others are the architect of the project.
Obviously, their views for this project will be different, just like their general views of life.
So, yes, someone's job may determine how they view life.
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

Well I don't agree with this assertion. The reason is that some people are stuck with jobs they don't like and even though they wish to switch jobs, that's what pays the Bill's at the moment.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by RJ Reviews »

It only can be true for people who have the luxury of choosing a career according to their choices. Not everyone has that privilege and many end up doing a job they hate just to survive. How they act while doing the job they hate can't accurately reflect how they see the world. Given an opportunity, their true viewpoints may surprise us
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

I strongly disagree. Most working people do not even enjoy the jobs they do. I feel it's just a means of survival and nothing more. Usually, I consider it as something life throws at you and you justbhave to do it.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Crucible of the Damned by Jason Brookshier

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

I strongly disagree. Most working people do not even enjoy the jobs they do. I feel it's just a means of survival and nothing more. Usually, I consider it as something life throws at you and you justbhave to do it.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

Of course, it is unacceptable to judge a person based on his job only because, as many have said in previous posts, the choice of work has many reasons, including Necessity due to circumstances, but what can give you a glimpse of an individual’s personality is how he or she does a job that he or she may not like, his competence or commitment, but it is also not a general measurement rule.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Ruka N »

PoliticalKawiya wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 20:16
All computers are based on bits. A bit is a 1 or a 0—on or off. That’s it. There is a correlation between the personality types of technical people and our “black or white” mindsets. We have chosen career fields where the fundamentals are 1s and 0s, on or off, so it makes sense we view the world as black and white, rather than with shades of gray.
(Location 49 - Kindle version)

The author have suggested that there is a correlation between a man's job and how he views the world. In other terms we should be able to get an idea about a man's view on the world and how his mind will work in certain scenarios just by getting to know his job. What do you think? Do you think such a thing is possible and acceptable?

https://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums ... 3d6c449db8
If the man had the option of choice then I agree, but if he was in a situation made him desperate for money and he just accepted any job the that tells us something else
PanwarP
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-panwarp.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by PanwarP »

Understanding how professions influence attitudes can promote teamwork and understanding other points of view. A nuanced understanding depends on striking a balance between acknowledging these discoveries and respecting individual complexity.
Schyk Marcus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-schyk-marcus.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Schyk Marcus »

I do not agree with this statement. Men will do just about anything to make some money and provide for their families. I can attest to this as a man myself. It is more than meets the eye.

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”