Dickens Process for success; Enjoying the present vs sacrificing the present for a better future

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Dickens Process for success; Enjoying the present vs sacrificing the present for a better future

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I learned about the Dickens Process, a neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) process that asks you to look at your entire life and identify moments that shape how you interact today.
(Location 142 - Kindle version)
The Dickens Process is based on the character Ebenezer Scrooge from Charles Dickens’s novella, A Christmas Carol. In the story, Scrooge meets a ghost on Christmas morning who shows him what his future could be if he doesn’t change his current bad behavior (and limiting beliefs). This causes so much pain for Scrooge that he decides to change his ways—and his life—forever. Jeff Bezos of Amazon fame uses the Dickens Process for decision making. In an interview, he was asked why he is so successful. He told them when it comes to decisions, he thinks about his life as an eighty-year-old man. He then chooses the option that will minimize regrets.
(Location 151 - Kindle version)

Most of the times we hear people advising to work hard today and sacrifice the joys of the present for a better future. But is it really worth to sacrifice the known present for an unknown future? On the other hand, will it be worthy to be penniless and unsuccessful when you are old just because the only things that you collected while you were young are beautiful and joyful memories?
Rowan The-First
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

I think you can do both at the same time, you get joyful memories at the same time doing something that can benefit you in your future. The good thing is not to get obsessed with one but learn to balance both of them.
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
Jessica Cole 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-cole-3.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Jessica Cole 3 »

politicalkawiya wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 20:18
I learned about the Dickens Process, a neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) process that asks you to look at your entire life and identify moments that shape how you interact today.
(Location 142 - Kindle version)
The Dickens Process is based on the character Ebenezer Scrooge from Charles Dickens’s novella, A Christmas Carol. In the story, Scrooge meets a ghost on Christmas morning who shows him what his future could be if he doesn’t change his current bad behavior (and limiting beliefs). This causes so much pain for Scrooge that he decides to change his ways—and his life—forever. Jeff Bezos of Amazon fame uses the Dickens Process for decision making. In an interview, he was asked why he is so successful. He told them when it comes to decisions, he thinks about his life as an eighty-year-old man. He then chooses the option that will minimize regrets.
(Location 151 - Kindle version)

Most of the times we hear people advising to work hard today and sacrifice the joys of the present for a better future. But is it really worth to sacrifice the known present for an unknown future? On the other hand, will it be worthy to be penniless and unsuccessful when you are old just because the only things that you collected while you were young are beautiful and joyful memories?
I tend to use the Dickens method in my own life, but I didn't know it was a method. I simply choose the option that would enable me to not regret things. If I reach for the stars and I fall flat on my face, at least the question has been answered. I won't be an elderly woman wondering what would have happened if I had had the courage to move forward. However, part of my decision-making is to ensure that I'm not an elderly woman with nothing to show for my time on this earth. I want to enjoy life, but not act in such a manner that I'm penniless when I need money the most. I don't believe in waiting until retirement to "enjoy" life as you're now too old and decrepit to do the things you want to enjoy. Yet, I also don't believe you should blow all your money when you're young as the ability to earn money significantly decreases past a certain age. People should enjoy life some, and also plan for the future some.
Susan Sadiq
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-sadiq.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Susan Sadiq »

I think the best way to solve the problem is to do both. Tomorrow isn't promised and the best thing we can do is to ĺive life fully today. I enjoy these types of discussions as it helps one to expand the mind.
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

Rowan The-First wrote: 01 Jul 2023, 00:47 I think you can do both at the same time, you get joyful memories at the same time doing something that can benefit you in your future. The good thing is not to get obsessed with one but learn to balance both of them.
I agree. Moderation is the key. Excessive involvement in work or in pleasure would result in discontent at some point in time. The key to happiness lies in prioritization with balance in mind.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I am an advocate for Moderation we can't be smart enough to always predict the future future and then defer gratification. Enjoying the present and sacrificing for the future should go in line with moderation.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

A balance is what I would aim for. I want to be successful but not at the expense of not enjoying my life or regretting it in the end. The Dickens process sounds quite useful in doing this as it helps you assess what your values are and what you want to achieve in your life without ending your life with regrets.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

I believe it is possible to combine the two activities simultaneously, creating happy memories while also working on things that will help you in the long run. It's best to learn to balance the two rather than become fixated on one.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

A person should not limit himself to only one. We can never go back in time and can never be adequately prepared for the future. All we can manage is our present and have a balanced approach to the future. Maintaining equilibrium appears to be the most prudent course of action.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The middle way is the best answer. From time to time, we need to take some time off from our busy lives and enjoy the moment, but we must also work diligently to achieve our goals.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Aditii Mehta
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditii-mehta.html
Latest Review: Chaos Rising by P.D. Blackwell

Post by Aditii Mehta »

I think it's about balance. As we all know, ' All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.' We should work for our future but should also enjoy our present.
PanwarP
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-panwarp.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by PanwarP »

I disagree that leading a successful life must be acquired through the traditional materialistic methods of toiling away and making sacrifices. As it stands, life is good. It occasionally clouds over, as is intended. To get past that, we must work hard.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

I think there should always be a balance. Have a clear plan for the future and follow them consistently; however, we should, whole at it, often make out time to reward ourselves. No one should totally neglect themselves because of a supposed glorious future.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

Aditii Mehta wrote: 20 Aug 2023, 21:36 I think it's about balance. As we all know, ' All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.' We should work for our future but should also enjoy our present.
That is correct. We work hard but also make out time to relax and reward our selves, even if the target is yet to be actualized.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

This is a topic that I consider controversial. But I think it would depend on each person.

Many always teach you about effort and perseverance, however sometimes it can make you miss out on things that are much more important while you concentrate on some goals, which really would not bring you anything fruitful when achieving them, in some cases.

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”