What is your favorite genre? (June '23)

June 2023 is a free choice genre! You can read whatever genre you'd like!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

What is your favorite genre? (June '23)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Since this is a free choice month, I'm curious to hear what your favorite genre is!
  • What makes this genre either special or extra fun for you?
  • Have this always been your favorite genre?
  • Most books have more than one genre. Do you have a favorite pairing of 2 or more genres in one book?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rosesbookpicks
Favorite Book: Small Spaces
Currently Reading: A school for good and evil
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosesbookpicks.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 10:20 Since this is a free choice month, I'm curious to hear what your favorite genre is!
  • Most books have more than one genre. Do you have a favorite pairing of 2 or more genres in one book?
I have a lot of favorite genres😅😅But I will share them so far :D :D. My first one is Middle-grade because it was the first genre I read and I thought it would be suited for me and I like reading this genre too. And It feels comfortable and relatable at first :). And Middle-grade is always been my favorite genre ever since I read one of these. Yes, I like pairing this genre with the other genres of this book like for example middle-grade with mystery. It's like been my favorite and I really like pairing it with other genres. As long as it's middle grade, It will be okay to mix it with other genres :D. I have other favorite genres too like young adults, fantasy, fiction, Travel, Thriller, Mystery, and Graphic Novels. But most I read are Middle-Grade and Young Adults. Young adult is kinda like it too because I feel relatable and also understandable :).
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Rosesbookpicks wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 23:09
Heidi M Simone wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 10:20 Since this is a free choice month, I'm curious to hear what your favorite genre is!
I have a lot of favorite genres😅😅But I will share them so far :D :D. My first one is Middle-grade because it was the first genre I read and I thought it would be suited for me and I like reading this genre too. And It feels comfortable and relatable at first :). And Middle-grade is always been my favorite genre ever since I read one of these. Yes, I like pairing this genre with the other genres of this book like for example middle-grade with mystery. It's like been my favorite and I really like pairing it with other genres. As long as it's middle grade, It will be okay to mix it with other genres :D. I have other favorite genres too like young adults, fantasy, fiction, Travel, Thriller, Mystery, and Graphic Novels. But most I read are Middle-Grade and Young Adults. Young adult is kinda like it too because I feel relatable and also understandable :).
I love a good middle-grade and young adult novel, too! To me, it also feels comfortable reading these novels. The only caveat is the character who is telling the story needs to be on the more mature side for me. Otherwise, I can lose my patience with that character. :lol: I don't mind if there are less mature characters in the story, in general, just not the storyteller.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I love a good fantasy that includes magic and magical creatures. Then, I also like the opposite of that - a good contemporary/mystery novel. Some non-fiction can hold my attention, but give me a historical fiction set during WWII and I'm hooked.
Heidi

Rosesbookpicks

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 14:53
Rosesbookpicks wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 23:09
I love a good middle-grade and young adult novel, too! To me, it also feels comfortable reading these novels. The only caveat is the character who is telling the story needs to be on the more mature side for me. Otherwise, I can lose my patience with that character. :lol: I don't mind if there are less mature characters in the story, in general, just not the storyteller.
I'm glad you love those genres! I also don't mind there are less mature characters too but I also like some new adults and adult books too. Do you like to read romance books or biography?🤔🤔 To me, I read some romances books and I found them quite engaging. But unluckily, I don't read biography or nonfiction but I read some of it 😊😊
Rosesbookpicks

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 14:55 I love a good fantasy that includes magic and magical creatures. Then, I also like the opposite of that - a good contemporary/mystery novel. Some non-fiction can hold my attention, but give me a historical fiction set during WWII and I'm hooked.
Same! I love fantasy and mystery novel😊😊Oh, so you also like Historical Fiction set during WWII. That's interesting! I found some books about it like "The last rose of Shanghai" by Weina Dai Randel. It's a #1 bestseller on Amazon 😊. There are also The Paris Daughter and Winter Garden😊😊 I hope you like my recommendations😊😊. Also, as I say earlier I like Fantasy and I wanted to mix it with other genres like mythology and adventure. The one I wanted to read most is Paola Santiago and the River of Tears by Tehlor Kay Mejia! I wanted to read it with other books like Aru Shah!

Happy Reading:D
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Rosesbookpicks wrote: 09 Jun 2023, 06:01
Heidi M Simone wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 14:55 I love a good fantasy that includes magic and magical creatures. Then, I also like the opposite of that - a good contemporary/mystery novel. Some non-fiction can hold my attention, but give me a historical fiction set during WWII and I'm hooked.
Same! I love fantasy and mystery novel😊😊Oh, so you also like Historical Fiction set during WWII. That's interesting! I found some books about it like "The last rose of Shanghai" by Weina Dai Randel. It's a #1 bestseller on Amazon 😊. There are also The Paris Daughter and Winter Garden😊😊 I hope you like my recommendations😊😊. Also, as I say earlier I like Fantasy and I wanted to mix it with other genres like mythology and adventure. The one I wanted to read most is Paola Santiago and the River of Tears by Tehlor Kay Mejia! I wanted to read it with other books like Aru Shah!

Thank you for your recommendations! Actually, I just looked up The Last Rose of Shanghai by Weina Dai Randel and The Paris Daughter. They both look interesting! I've them to my TBR list.

Also, Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah? Yes, please!! I love Kristin Hannah books. I've read several, so this one is at the top of my list to read!

Thank you SO much for your awesome recommendations! :D

Happy Reading to you too! :)
Heidi

Rosesbookpicks

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 20:01

Thank you for your recommendations! Actually, I just looked up The Last Rose of Shanghai by Weina Dai Randel and The Paris Daughter. They both look interesting! I've them to my TBR list.

Also, Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah? Yes, please!! I love Kristin Hannah books. I've read several, so this one is at the top of my list to read!

You're welcome! I love to give some recommendations and I'm happy to help🙂🙂I haven't read Kristin Hannah's book but I guess I'll try to read some of her books! I didn't know you were Kristin Hannah's fan and that you love her books🙂🙂 I hope you enjoy your reading:)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Rosesbookpicks wrote: 16 Jun 2023, 05:29

You're welcome! I love to give some recommendations and I'm happy to help🙂🙂I haven't read Kristin Hannah's book but I guess I'll try to read some of her books! I didn't know you were Kristin Hannah's fan and that you love her books🙂🙂 I hope you enjoy your reading:)
I really loved The Nightingale and enjoyed The Great Alone. I am very excited to give Winter Garden a read! If/When you do read one of Kristin Hannah's books, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)
Heidi

Rosesbookpicks

Post by Rosesbookpicks »

Heidi M Simone wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 05:07

I really loved The Nightingale and enjoyed The Great Alone. I am very excited to give Winter Garden a read! If/When you do read one of Kristin Hannah's books, I would love to hear your thoughts! :)
Maybe I'll start reading Kristin Hannah's books next month:) well, I hope. I wanted to read first is The Nightingale and then The Great Alone because you both enjoyed reading them:)
Cathy Burgin
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jana DeLeon
Favorite Book: FOLLY
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-burgin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5500

Post by Cathy Burgin »

My favorite genre is actually a sub-genre of mystery/fantasy with a bit of romance. Paranormal Women’s Fiction focuses on women in their 40’s who are often struggling with unexpected change and the discovery of or return to their paranormal family roots. It usually includes a bit of humor and interesting characters with a huge variety of skills and characteristics. The books are fun and provide a bit of escape.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Rosesbookpicks wrote: 23 Jun 2023, 09:31
Heidi M Simone wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 05:07

Maybe I'll start reading Kristin Hannah's books next month:) well, I hope. I wanted to read first is The Nightingale and then The Great Alone because you both enjoyed reading them:)
That would be awesome! Whenever you end up reading one of her books, I'll be curious on your thoughts. :)
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Cathy Burgin wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 09:29 My favorite genre is actually a sub-genre of mystery/fantasy with a bit of romance. Paranormal Women’s Fiction focuses on women in their 40’s who are often struggling with unexpected change and the discovery of or return to their paranormal family roots. It usually includes a bit of humor and interesting characters with a huge variety of skills and characteristics. The books are fun and provide a bit of escape.
Ooo...I like that sub-genre idea. I don't think I've read a book with that would fall under this genre, but it's definitely piquing my interest now. Paranormal family roots? Sounds right up my alley! I love when books can help you escape. :)

Do you have specific books you'd recommend for me to start? I'd like to add 1-2 of them to be TBR list, so I can make sure to pick up a novel in this sub-genre.

Thank you for the recommendation! :)
Heidi

Cathy Burgin
Favorite Author: Jana DeLeon
Favorite Book: FOLLY
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathy-burgin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 5500

Post by Cathy Burgin »

A group of cozy mystery writers formed a group of 13 authors a few years back and published their first books in this genre about the same time. Since I was following several of the authors I began to read these books. They are amazing. So much fun!

K. F. Breeze writes the Magical Midlife series.
Darynada Jones writes the Betwixt and Between series.
Mandy M. Roth writes the Grimm Cove series.

Any of these would be a great start to this genre. Of course there are more to try and many more authors that write this type of paranormal mysteries.
Andrea Quinn
Favorite Book: We Are the Luckiest
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrea-quinn.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Andrea Quinn »

I enjoy most genres. Lately my go-to genre is non-fiction. I’ve been on a self-improvement journey and went down a rabbit hole with mental health non-fiction books. I think I’ve read 6 books in the past week. Whew!
I do love a good YA Dystopian or a thriller.
I can’t get into war history or science fiction. Not my jam.

Happy reading!
Andrea
If I can't bring a book, I'm not going. :techie-studyingbrown:
Coffee, Mascara, and Hustle

Drea3132.com

Return to “June 2023 Genre Discussion”